UGH: Foundry Coming Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UGH: Foundry Coming Down!

This just in Wednesday evening, March 30 from SDCer Don Galeziewski in South Bend.

Don works in the large South Bend Police Department Administration Building directly across the street from the former Studebaker Machine Shop before it became South Bend Lathe and, now, a grassy, barren splotch of Ignition Park.

The Foundry was always my favorite Studebaker Building. It is so sad to see it come down, knowing what its demolition symbolizes for all of American Industry. RIP: USA.

Bob: The large concrete S emblems were removed from the north & south walls of the Foundry Building yesterday. So was the concrete wheel with the Studebaker script on the front of the Engineering (SASCO) Building. The actual demolition will probably be in full swing during the swap meet in May. DG
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1289.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1667806

Name:	DSCF1288.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1667807

Name:	DSCF1252.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1667808

Name:	DSCF1248.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1667810
    I'm thankful that I made it to last spring's swap meet and stopped at the foundry to take some photographs of the exterior.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
      I'm thankful that I made it to last spring's swap meet and stopped at the foundry to take some photographs of the exterior.
      Here's some of the interior I took in 2007.

Craig

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
          Excellent contemporary photos, Milaca. Thanks for posting a "last look" for most forum participants. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yes, sad news indeed. I've been keeping quiet about it... Everybody remembers that there were glass doors in the front of the engineering building? Well, you can see through them and see that ALL of the inside courtyard walls are now gone. Sad.
            Later I'll post some interior photos.
            Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 03-31-2011, 04:51 AM.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Oh Boy...

Comment

Did anyone save the worker lockers that I saw in one of the interior pix? Those would sell to some of us Stude nuts. They could be a fubdraiser for the museum, if they aren't already buried.
                John
                1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                  Yes, sad news indeed. I've been keeping quiet about it... Everybody remembers that there were glass doors in the front of the engineering building? Well, you can see through them and see that ALL of the inside courtyard walls are now gone. Sad.
                  Later I'll post some interior photos.
                  But thanks to Chris, a lot of us got to see it before it is meeting it demise.

Thanks again Chris

Bob

Comment

You know. It really sucks that the economy is so bad that we can't transform a nice historic building such as this into new loft apartments (call them Avanti Lofts - or Lark Place - or GoldenHawk Apartments) or better yet into a school or another factory/office building, something!!!!! What if they auctioned off the bricks or the S logo for charity proceeds or to give those proceeds to the Studebaker Museum.

We have got to find a way to keep a part of history alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Comment

Nothing new to report on the Foundry or Engineering Building as of 11:30 this morning. Exterior of both look substantially the same as they have for weeks so no real use to post those pics. taken today.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        But thanks to Chris, a lot of us got to see it before it is meeting it demise.

Thanks again Chris

Bob
                        You are very welcome.
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by chefwith62stude View Post
                          You know. It really sucks that the economy is so bad that we can't transform a nice historic building such as this into new loft apartments (call them Avanti Lofts - or Lark Place - or GoldenHawk Apartments) or better yet into a school or another factory/office building, something!!!!! What if they auctioned off the bricks or the S logo for charity proceeds or to give those proceeds to the Studebaker Museum.

We have got to find a way to keep a part of history alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
                          As much heart wrench as it takes me to say it, the foundry was beyond repair. There were HUGE holes in the roof, bricks were falling at random, very dirty. It was a mess. Part of the reason it was so bad was because all the time UPV was there, the owners were scrapping out anything that wasn't holding the roof up! Tons and tons of metal (some pieces structurally important) were removed before demo crews even thought about moving in. As much as I would have liked to have seen the foundry saved, it would have eventually came down on its self. It would have taken many years, but it was coming. The engineering building however, was a totally different story in my eyes.
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Well, at least we have pictures...

Some shots of the raw materials bay. Had to post the one of Andy...

Old offices

This was in a tunnel

Here are the lockers you speak of. Sadly, I think they are probably gone by now.

One of my favorite pictures from the foundry, ever. I think is should end up in Turning Wheels, but who knows?

These were taken on November 28th, 2009. I managed to get UPV to let me give a tour of the building, 46 people showed up, even a few Studebakers. This was probably my proudest day as an SDC member.

(If anybody wants to see the rest of them or a specific on I didn't post, send me a message)
                            Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 03-31-2011, 12:12 PM.
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

I'll post a few old photos I have. These were taken just after the foundry opened in 1923.

"The grand dad of all pizza ovens"

Inside a tunnel. In my previous post I have a photo of what this looks like today, and it makes this old photo look clean as a whistle!

Cupola charging floor.
                              Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 03-31-2011, 12:32 PM.
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X