PDA

View Full Version : Max Corkins in Lewistown Hospital

rockne10
03-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Admitted last week with blood sugar of 1762; pretty disoriented. He's stable now with numbers well below 400 and has lost 20 pounds. A few more hours and he wouldn't have made it. His sister saved his life.

Room 5130
Lewistown Hospital
400 Highland Avenue
Lewistown, Pa. 17044

jclary
03-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks for letting us know. I get worried when my blood sugar goes to 168.

He will be added to my prayer list.

Jim B PEI
03-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Wheh! That was dangerously high!! A bit of a shock to me because I didn't realize the US system had such completely different units. I had to look it up For Canadians (and maybe others using the metric system) the conversion factor is 18.018, so his high reading was in the 90s, and now he is down near 20 (and a 168 is a 9.3)

All the best to Max; get better soon.

ralt12
03-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Both my boys have Type 1, and 1762 is almost unfathomable as a reading. A miracle he made it. FYI, "normal" is 70-130 as a blood glucose measurement.

Bob Andrews
03-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Wow. Prayers to a great guy. Always love wandering around his shop. Best wishes, Max!

Bob Bryant
03-29-2011, 10:29 PM
A blood glucose of 1726 is about 1,000 above anything I have heard of. My wife was diagnosed in 1960 with a blood sugar in the 600-700 range and the doctors in the hospital said she could have been in a coma. Max is where he belongs to get the treatment and stabilization he needs. A good endocrinologist is very valuable to a diabetic. In the end the patient has to take ownership of the condition, as the proper maintenance is so very important.

raprice
03-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Thank God Max is still with us. A blood sugar of 1762 is about 1662 higher than it should be (fasting) I'm sure he's getting good care, I hope from a good endocrinologist.
Good luck Max.
Rog

55champion
03-30-2011, 12:20 PM
He is in our prayers...

JRoberts
03-30-2011, 03:53 PM
I have been a type 1 diabetic for 60 years and have never heard of a reading even close to that high. Like John said I get worried when mine goes up to 170. I don't even think my meter would read that high. I certainly am glad Max is doing that much better that soon. He certainly is in my prayers.

bondobilly
03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
The nurses taking care of me are surprised he survived.
I'm glad he is still around & Ellen & I will keep him in our
Prayers. Ellen & Bill

Rerun
03-30-2011, 05:48 PM
I was going to pay Max a visit at the hospital this evening, and found that he was discharged yesterday. Apparently, they must have gotten things under control. Good news!

raoul5788
03-30-2011, 05:58 PM
The nurses taking care of me are surprised he survived.
I'm glad he is still around & Ellen & I will keep him in our
Prayers. Ellen & Bill

Great to see you posting again, Bill! I hope you are doing well!

jclary
03-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Years before I was diagnosed with type II diabetes, I worked in vocational Rehabilitation. My speciality was in working with the blind and visually impaired. Many of you may know that diabetes is a leading cause of blindness and therefore I was exposed to many clients that were suffering from both.

One thing I learned was that it takes a lot of effort, not just from the person affected, but the entire family and close friends to encourage and assist in providing a control environment. If family members do not take the situation seriously and provide good alternatives to junk food and cheap sweets, along with good hygiene, serious problems are more likely to follow.

I had one client who had not only lost his sight, but eventually lost both feet to amputation. Sad to say, but if his wife had prepared proper meals and assistance, this could have been prevented. Both carried an equal amount of responsibility, but without the support of the household, it is much more difficult.

I am fortunate enough to be married to a registered nurse, and when it comes to these matters, no drill sergeant I ever saw was tougher.

I do not make these comments to suggest that Max has any of these support problems, or bad habits. There are other health conditions that can cause some serious out of control situations. Rather, I know that as large as this group is, I know I am not the only diabetic in the audience. In fact, I go for my regular three month visit to my family doctor tomorrow and will have my A1C checked. It will show my blood sugar average for the last three months. I have been doing so well (only taking oral meds) that I have not been checking my sugar daily as recommended (after my preachy comments above). If I get a bad report, like every other patient, I'll make excuses like blaming it on having to be vegetative while healing from this shoulder surgery.

If I get a good report...I'll celebrate with the works at waffle House and break all the rules for one meal!:p

My prayers and best wishes to Max Corkins and all fellow diabetics dealing with this malady.:)

PlainBrownR2
03-30-2011, 06:29 PM
I was going to pay Max a visit at the hospital this evening, and found that he was discharged yesterday. Apparently, they must have gotten things under control. Good news!
That's good on two fronts. He's in great health to recover fairly quick from a high glucose such as this, these treatments are fortunately and unfortunately fairly routine, and that no other apparent near death or immediate organ damage was done to warrant additional observation. I know because I've had a couple of very rare lows to only warrant a couple of hours in the emergency room(I recovered usually during the ambulance ride :D)

I'm a Type 1 diabetic of about 27 years now, had it since I was two. They found me at 600, which also had me practically kissing the Grim Reaper on the lips as well. I have a great endocrinologist, and an opthamologist that we've known as a co worker and friend since before I was born. I am on Altace because of an incident like this back in 2004. I woke up in the dorm to go to the bathroom at 3am(which always told me what the morning glucose would be like, yuck), and I could barely stay standing. I came back, did my glucose, the meter wasn't even reading. This warranted a call to my parents, where they picked me up, and over the next day we, brought the glucose back to normal. The insuline I had was replaced with Lantis, which was supposed to be 10X what my 60's technology insulin was supposed to be. It didn't work, either then, or when I incrementally maxed the syringe out because the glucose would not come under 200. So I went back. Well, this also brought on another issue where my microalbumen was slowly rising from this whole ordeal, so I and my endocrinologist pondered what to do about it, until she came up with Altace, which was a beta blocker. After getting on that, it brought my kidneys and my eyes back under control. It's not a be all end all, but it does buffer from the ill effects of future organ damage.

I cannot fathom a number like that either. Heck, I hate anything past 250. But when something gets this bad, that usually tells me that something wrong or really wrong happened earlier, like with the Lantis. The changeover to the newer stuff didn't work, so I went back to the older insulin. I know there's folks who love it, but I'm not one of those people :p. I would also advise to watch for any eye, kidney, or other problems as this incident can also lead to future unforseen effects.

ralt12
03-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Try the pump with Novolog instead of Lantis.

PlainBrownR2
03-30-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm not on Lantis, I got off of it within the month I was given it, as soon as I found out it didn't work. I'm on Lispro and NPH, which is doing more than super. As for the pump, it's been discussed in the past many times, but for the time being, I don't want it because of my activity(don't like something hanging from my wiry thin trunk while I'm sliding in and out from under cars).

ralt12
03-31-2011, 08:12 AM
You try it, and it will change your life, much easier to regulate glucose levels, especially around physical activity and meals.

FlatheadGeo
03-31-2011, 09:24 AM
My wife developed diabetes as a side affect of her Pancreatic Cancer surgery. I have changed the way in which I prepare meals for her. Twice she went into diabetic coma. Once it went to 1800 and once down to 20. As mentioned before, it takes the entire family to control this malady. Once under control it usually gets easier as far as regulation is concerned. My prayers are sent!!!

jclary
03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Hooray! I just got back from my check-up and had a great (for me) A1C report of 6.5.:cool: This time I decided to return home and have a little sane breakfast instead of the Waffle House binge.:rolleyes:

Although this is a Studebaker forum, the subject of this thread should help us in placing our interests in proper perspective. We are everyday folks with everyday lives and problems. We share much more than our toys and playthings.

When reality of the challenges of life spill over here, it is comforting to see the compassion and concern our members have for one another. :)

One other thought...we are talking about two distinct diseases here. Type 1 diabetes has its onset at birth or early childhood and is a lifelong battle. Type II is usually an adult onset (in my 50's in my case) and if detected and diagnosed soon enough, can be treated and controlled with more options for treatment. New discoveries and research in recent years has resulted in better success in treatment.

However, when I see a little 5-year-old who hasn't yet started school, check his blood, adjust his dosage pump, and resume playing as if it's nothing...I realize that many of us adult type II diabetics complaining about pricking our finger...are "cry-baby's" by comparison.:(

Prayers, thoughts, and encouragement for all the diabetics out there. For those of you who don't have it...be grateful that you have escaped this one because sure as you live life, you'll meet challenges of your own. Thanks for caring.:)

JRoberts
03-31-2011, 12:32 PM
I fought the idea of a pump for quite a while. I understand perfectly the problems of crawling around under and over cars with the pump hooked up. It certainly is a consideration. I have been on the pump for about 8 years now and the control it provides is worth any of the downsides associated with it. In all of my 60 years as a diabetic I have been lucky enough to be under very good control. Much of that is due to the dillagnce of my parents. They instilled in me early on the importance of eating properlay (or as close to it as possible), of taking care of myself and of not letting my disease get in the way of being as normal as possilbe. Dad being in the Army spent time overseas and we went with him. I lived in Austria not long after being diagnosed and a litlle later in Eriteria. My doctor and I were talking just this week about the days before even disposable syringes and needles were around let alone insulin pumps. We have come along way, but the cure they have been talking about being just around the corner for years now, is not there. Lots of work on Type 2, but not so much for Type 1 unfortunately. But good control is now readily available for most of us IF we do what we are supposed to do. My A1C's have never been over 6.5 since the pump.

PlainBrownR2
03-31-2011, 03:24 PM
It's not just the problem of possibly damaging the pump or pulling out the probe at the wrong time. Like I said, I have had Type 1 diabetes for 27 years now. My parents are in the medical field(they worked in the labs) as well, so the pump and the cure are hardly a recent concept. Because of our backgrounds, I have had the diabetes under pretty tight control, which has left me at 6'0 170 lbs, so I'm neither short nor very big. Because of the control, I also thrive on consistency, so I am quite content with syringes at the moment, despite the advantages of the pump.

That said, we have kept an eye on what was going on with a cure for over 20 years now for Type 1 diabetics, most of the stuff the public has little knowledge about. We have seen islet cell, encapsulated islet cells, stem cells, and as of recent, research into the BCG vaccine from the U of Massachutes. The last two are the best shot at a cure. The BCG vaccine is a TB vaccine, and a relatively cheap one too, but it holds some enormous promise for a cure. There are 3 or 4 phases to the BCG research, the first phase being done with mice, and the final phase being put out for human use. They have passed Phase 1, and are now raising money for Phase 2. We put ourselves on their mailing list to watch the research, but they now email the information out, so I had to put myself on their email list.
That also said, if the cure comes to fruition, watch the advertising for the meters, syringes, and the like. We have found out JDF does not like this or most cures being out in the public(they want everyone on shots because of the money), so they do not support it. If this really comes to fruition, they will start shoving this stuff on the Type 2 diabetics, because the research on Type 1 diabetics has now become a major success, which means it's a money loss. That also said, I have not given money to JDF for years now, because, just like in the movie Lorenzo's oil, I have long since learned it never went where it was supposed to go(think cocktail parties :mad:). I have heard the same rhetoric for 27 years now, on a disease that has been around since the Egyptians, and it's in the same situation it was then. I mean, Good Lord, HIV has had bigger press releases on advancement of cures, and its been in the public eye for only 40 years or so :mad:. Anyway, regarding Lorenzo's Oil, at the end of that movie there, quite a few people at the meeting got more than a little upset after they learned what was going on. :rolleyes:

Bob Bryant
03-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Back in 1960 when my wife was diagnosed we had to learn what the disease was about and how to live with it. The doctors recommended that we get the book from the Joslin Clinic. Diabetes is not a disease to ignore and as the diabetic and the family learn and address the issues the quality of life improves considerably. Since we now live in the NE she is able to obtain her endocrinology needs at a Joslin Clinic office in New London. Interesting that after 50 years she is at the clinic that she learned about back in Fort Wayne. Elliott P.Joslin of Boston was a pioneer in the treatment of the condition and the clinic now has a Harvard affiliation. Carol has been on the pump for about 15 years. It has been a wonderful improvement in treatment. Now there is a Continuous Blood Glucose (CGB) monitoring device available which would be a wonderful asset, but at this time Medicare will not approve it. An appeal was denied. CBG would have prevented her from waking up at 5:00AM today with a 225 which makes her ill. She has juvenile type 1 diabetes or is known as a brittle diabetic and what worked yesterday may not work today. We both appreciate reading the comments by various forum members and their experiences. Over time just about everything gets discussed on the forum.

FYI. If anyone has an interest Joslin Clinic awards a beautiful gold medal to anyone who has been insulin dependent for 50 years and for 75 years. The website provides the instructions for applying.

studelark
03-31-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm so glad Max is home after this brush with disaster. I, too, am a diabetic II and I've never heard of such a high reading. That is truly scary. God bless you, Max, and you're on my prayer list. How could I forget that brush with the grim reaper. Thank goodness his sister could see what was taking place. We do have guardian angels!!

Frank Drumheller
Locust Grove, VA
60S-W6
1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

rockne10
04-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Update received from Denny Foust:

"

Cindy and I visited Max Friday evening at Golden Living Center (which was William Penn Nursing Home, until it was purchased), and he seemed in good spirits. He was taken to Lewistown Hospital a week or so ago and was in the Intensive Care unit where they diagnosed him with Diabetes. He was moved mid-week to the Golden Retirement Center and is in Room 56A. Their address, if anyone would like to send him a card, is 163 Summit Drive, Lewistown, Pa 17044

They have somewhat regulated his diabetes as he told me the readings are now in the 160-200 range (normal is 100-120, I'm told), but he is also dealing with Gout. They will not let him walk until they get him through some physical therapy to get him walking.

Denny"