No announcement yet.

Another newbie making an introduction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another newbie making an introduction.

Hi everyone, Ive been a member here for a while now and after emailing another member a while back with some car questions was motivated to finally make my introductions. So, me and my car, my name is Josh from Modesto California, I'm 27 and an avid but poor car nut I have a 62 Lark V8 4 door that comes with an interesting story. In June of 2009 I was helping my girlfriends family move off there long time family ranch, In the process of cleaning out their well pack barn I saw something that started to get my attention. In the back I could see only the top roof line of an old car, what was it? After clearing out the barn there it sat, un-touched, un-moved and un-molested for 29 years and 62 Studebaker, (to be honest at the time I didn't even know what Studebaker was) a real barn find!! I asked what was going to happen to it and I was told it was probably going to go to the scrap yard with everything else (Not on my watch it wasn't) In short order it was on a trailer and dropped off at my house. I was told that my Girlfriends grandfather had bought the car brand new, after bing driven for a while it was passed down to her father as his first car, driven for years then parked and spent its time waiting for me. Within the first year I got her running under her own power again, then color sanded and polished the paint and in sort order started taking her to our local A&W for summer cruise nights. Last summer I even had her in a local charity car show. My girl and I are having tons of fun taking her around town and getting tons of looks from people as we pass along with the thrill of preserving a piece of her families motoring past. Don't get me wrong, I still have alot of cleaning to do on it (like the entire interior and most of under the hood) I have however to get it going had to replace; points, condenser, water pump, rebuild the carb, new fuel pump, valve guide seals, repair the radiator, new hoses and lines, new mounts, new side window and since all the brake cylinders were frozen I decided to do power disk brake conversion (lots of work and still tweaking!) oh ya, and I found a dead cat under the front seat.

Its been alot of work with even more to go but its all good fun, I love the wrenching, learning about a forgotten part of motoring past and joy of knowing that Ive saved something from the crusher. Included are some pics of getting her out of the barn and some where she is now.

Cheers Josh.

Very cool Josh! Kudos on saving one of my all-time favorite models. Glad you're enjoying it. Stick around here, it's a great group, and we can help with any questions you have, and help you get anything you might need. Welcome!!
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum, you'll enjoy it here, and ask all the questions you want! You'll get lots of answers and opinions.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Fantastic story. It's come a long way. Good luck on future progress. Keep us posted on progress.
        WELCOME to the group

Comment

"avid bu poor car nut" Yeah, Me too! I too have a 4 door Lark (63) I love those four doors. And to think, the car you are driving in and enjoying was just "going to go to scrap with everything else." Now, not to say anything bad about your girls family, but that kind of thinking always chaps my hide. Sure, it may have been a bit rough, but look at it now. Us poor car guys depend on little beat up four doors to get our feet in this hobby, and they were gonna throw it away. Great save! Rant over. Welcome!

Comment

welcome. you've done a great job on that lark!!!
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Josh! What took you so long!? Big welcome here from the other side of the country!

Although your story is unique to you, it is not all that uncommon for the thousands of Studebaker fans across the world. Many of us have stumbled into the group by discovering a long forgotten frumpy little sedan languishing under a pile of rubble.

I suspect that if you parked all the Lark types that have not received a ground up restoration side by side...you would see many of them sporting a little crinkle in one of the front fenders just like the one yours is sporting.

I have a '60 four door and it looks like the color might be like yours. (Although the years of being exposed to the red dirt of the Carolina hills and cat tracks have given it a patina all its own.)

Keep it rolling and be carefull, many of us have learned (like the old commercial) that Studebakers are kinda like "tater chips"...betcha can't have just one!

Enjoy your Studebaker. It is a time travel machine...we have been doing it for years!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Wonderful find. Each little upgrade brings a whole new thrill. Welcome to the forum. No better place to find help and support.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Love it!
                  Interesting to see the last pic in your post...the car show shot.
                  I see this all the time and it makes one wonder.
                  Why do people set up all their chairs in front of their car so nobody can walk around it and look/admire it?
                  One reason I like shows where the host (club) helps spot you when you are parking.
                  (Like your pic above that one)
                  Leave plenty of room for looking without bumping, and plenty of room for wheelchairs and walkers.
                  Great to see you have it out!
                  Jeff
                  Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 03-29-2011, 05:52 AM.
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

A big welcome to you, your girlfriend and the Lark.
                    I can only imagine the look on your two's faces as the thumbs up started flying as ventured out onto the roads. Cheap thrill.

The Studebaker group is quite open hearted, welcoming, helpful and most of all active. Overall you won't find a better group.

Now one concern that comes to mind...
                    With the Lark looking sharp and becoming the talk of the town in your home......
                    How's the future father n law accepting the attention being thrown at his first car?
                    I'm sure you've scored some points.

Becareful out there. And dive a little deeper, when your ready, into the many Stude meets, gatherings, cruises.

Best picture shot: The one where everyone's lawn chairing it out infront of the Chevy......and giving a clear view of the Studebaker. Priceless
                    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

The car looks great Josh! About a year ago I started on my '62 saved from the crusher, should be on the road this Spring. Keep up the good work and welcome!
                      Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Welcome Josh The San Joaquin Valley Chapter isn't too far from you in Fresno. There is a Chapter in Sacramento too. On April 30th 3 Chapters get together at Grupe Park in Stockton. It would be a great Studebaker adventure. Let me know and I'll send you the details.
                        Great Story and great car.
                        Mabel 1949 Champion
                        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        The Prez 1955 President State
                        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Welcome Josh! I had cousins that grew up in "Ripoff", and later moved to Modesto for high school. Have some great memories of spending time out there.

I'm glad to see you kept the black plates!

Comment

I love my 4 door.Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1667792
                            Fred

sigpic

Comment

Welcome Josh,

Anne beat me to it but I will also extend an invitation to check in on our club. You are about mid way between the Fresno area group and the Sacramento group. I write the newsletter for the Karel Staple Chapter with most members in the Sacramento area (give or take 75 or so miles).

My son (pictured) lives in Turlock and drives a red 65 4 door Commander. He's real close to your age and also loves the attention he gets when he drives his Studebaker.

Check out our newsletter online at www.hawktalks.com. Look over the calendar of events. You are welcome at any of our meetings. Just show up. Get involved in a local club and join the SDC. You will be impressed with the vast amount of technical knowledge you will find in our membership. We are all interested in recruiting younger members.

I echo Anne's invitation to the Stockton event in April. Saturday, April 30th at Grupe park. Directions will be posted in Hawk Talks.

And, by the way, NICE CAR.
                              Last edited by Sdude; 03-29-2011, 09:47 AM.
                              Jon Stalnaker
                              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                              X