It's a small world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a small world

Just got this from a bidder on our Lark: (edited for privacy) BTW, even born in the same hospital as the bidder.

Hey John
    My name is Dave xxxx and like you was born in South Bend IN (St. Josephs Hospital 07/68). My grandfather worked at the Studebaker factory and his family and I were all born in South Bend as well. My Grandparents used to own the house at xxxx xxxxx Avenue until the early 90's. I promised my family that I would do whatever it took (within reason) to get a Stude back into the family as my Grandfather built them, but never owned one. Kind of Ironic to build cars but not drive one. Anyway, I am new to Ebay bidding (no good or bad feedback) but am looking to buy a Stude to keep my promise to the family. I have a little over 3K for one so I will bid and if I win, fine. If not, so be it. But just wanted you to know that I am not a flake bidder. You can reach me at xxxxx
    JDP Maryland

That's a cool intro.. A few of my most fun ebay deals were with 'new' ebayers! Was on the phone quite a bit one sunday with a first time buyer- I hope this guy buys,[wins] your car!!!
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
      That's a cool intro.. A few of my most fun ebay deals were with 'new' ebayers! Was on the phone quite a bit one sunday with a first time buyer- I hope this guy buys,[wins] your car!!!
      I spoke to him on the phone, he's now the high bidder and I'm pulling for him. I thought about setting a late BIN just for him, but there could be another bidder just as deserving waiting in the wings. I thanked him for telling me about his rookie ebay status, lowered the reserve a bit (which is made) and gave him a few tips, but it is still a auction after all.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

I am pulling for him and hope he wins and joins the SDC. Could be a Win Win for the whole Studebaker family!

We should know within a couple hours of this post.

By the way, does he still live in South Bend?
        Last edited by jclary; 03-28-2011, 03:06 PM.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
          I am pulling for him and hope he wins and joins the SDC. Could be a Win Win for the whole Studebaker family!

We should know within a couple hours of this post.

By the way, does he still live in South Bend?
          Yes, still in South Bend and I already pitched the forum and club. If he does not win our car, I want him to find one soon.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Hey, it just ended. Did our new Studebaker friend get it?
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              Hey, it just ended. Did our new Studebaker friend get it?
              He did indeed, and we only lost a few bucks on the deal, a win-win.
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Sold a 65 4 door to a So Bend resident around 2002 for a decent price. Even though it was a 65 I felt it should stay there since most of it may have come from there originally. Also like to see Studes on the streets of So Bend,Thats why I drive one there as much as possible! Ed

Comment

Well, he seems mildly pleased, I need to get him on here:

"yeah!!!! I am so excited. I can't wait to drive her to a classic car show this summer.

Thanks John!!! "
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Being one of those people who owns a Studebaker for sentimental reasons, I'm glad this guy won. Now tell him to get over here and start showing it off!
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Hey Guys,

thanks for the open arm welcome. Yes, I won the car and am so damn excited. I dont still live in South Bend, but my roots are there. I live in Auburn, AL and there are a ton of classic car shows here and I just cant wait to pull into one in a Stude and see peoples jaws drop. I am planning on driving it to Chicago to show my Aunt and Uncle the car and see their faces when I pull up. Taking the girl back home, so to speak.

You ever wonder where Studebaker would be if it werent for the "small car invasion of the early 70's" by the Asian Car companies??? would studes still be around if Honda or Toyota or Datsun didn't invade our shores????

Something to think about.

DAve

Comment

Originally posted by chefwith62stude View Post
                        Hey Guys,

thanks for the open arm welcome. Yes, I won the car and am so damn excited. I dont still live in South Bend, but my roots are there. I live in Auburn, AL and there are a ton of classic car shows here and I just cant wait to pull into one in a Stude and see peoples jaws drop. I am planning on driving it to Chicago to show my Aunt and Uncle the car and see their faces when I pull up. Taking the girl back home, so to speak.

You ever wonder where Studebaker would be if it werent for the "small car invasion of the early 70's" by the Asian Car companies??? would studes still be around if Honda or Toyota or Datsun didn't invade our shores????

DAve
                        Glad you showed up on here Dave, if you need any help or have questions, just ask. BTW, you join the club online from this web site and it's the best investment you can make. I home you enjoy working on and driving the 62.
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

Hey Guys,

DAve

Hey Dave, welcome aboard! Auburn is good. The Alabama gang is a fine bunch of folks as is the North Georgia chapter of the club. You will be close enough to join and participate in both. Enjoy your ride for yourself and then the admiration from others will be just an added bonus. However, you might want to be prepared for those who will forever look at old cars as something to ignore, look over, or look around. A bit of a "tough skin" goes a long way in this hobby.

Hopefully, we will cross paths at a future meet. Check out the North Carolina "Tri-State" meet that comes up in the fall. It is held in the mountains (Lake Junaluska/Maggie Valley) every fall and has drawn participants from as far away as New Mexico, Michigan, Florida, etc.

When you join the SDC, you don't just have a Studebaker...you become a part of a world-wide organization of thousands!
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hey Guys,

You ever wonder where Studebaker would be if it werent for the "small car invasion of the early 70's" by the Asian Car companies??? would studes still be around if Honda or Toyota or Datsun didn't invade our shores???? Something to think about. Dave
                            Welcome, Dave!

Studebaker was long gone by the time Honda, Nissan, and Toyota made serious inroads in the United States market.

But Volkswagen, Renault, and some British makes had more than a few people's attention while Studebaker was still around. Note the discussion of that in the new, April 2011 Turning Wheels, wherein Fred Fox's Scotsman feature article discusses the marketing reasoning behind the Scotsman's introduction. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Welcome, Dave, glad to see another 62 owner on the forum!
                              Enjoy!
                              Much to be learned... and the info is here... somewhere :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X