Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wiper arm spring and hood latch spring... where to get/what to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: wiper arm spring and hood latch spring... where to get/what to get?

toying around with my 51 for the first time since november, i noticed that the tension spring in both wiper arms (the one that keeps the blade to the windshield) are rusted through and broken.

i am also missing the spring for the hood latch (that returns the release cable when pulled).

i assume i can get springs at a hardware store, but i emailed wiperman (that i found on a different post) about the wiper arm springs. the hood latch spring, i have no idea. SI has nothing that i could find.

if someone could get me measurements or pictures of the correct springs, that would help a lot! also, what kind of tension i should be looking for when getting one?

on a separate note, what should i use to lubricate the hood release cable? white lithium?

call Bill fennessee at 615 662 5013

Comment

i went to a few stores today and finally found some springs at a large "do it best" hardware store in their huge supply of drawers containing springs.

for the windshield wiper arms, i bought extension spring #103U; 2-3/8" length, 050 wire gauge. the one i got for the hood latch is a tad bit shorter. extension spring #101U; 1-3/4" length, 047 wire gauge. brand is "serv-a-lite". they took a little working with to install, but i think they'll be fine. i worry if the gauge is too thick, though. they snap back pretty good. i'm not as worried about the wiper springs as i am the hood latch spring. i need to lube that hood release cable, too, so i don't bend it (again).

Comment

These are wiperarm springs I got for my Lark (from Servalite), it works with them

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiperspringsm3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1667793Click image for larger version

Name:	wiperspringsm2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1667794
        Walter

80 Fiat Spider
        63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
        60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
        56 Golden Hawk
        56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
        68 Volvo P1800S
        56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Comment

For me, one of the cheap thrills in life is finding a new use for an item that it was never intended for... Especially if it saves me a buck or two. That is what I did with the safety hood latch spring on one of my Studebakers. If you can find one of those old wooden clothes pins (you might have to pilfer one of Grandma's) the sturdy, heavy spring that holds them together can be modified to make a great spring for your safety latch. The hard part is having the dexterity to hold all three of the parts in place as you try to push the retaining pin through the holes. Like everything now, the newer ones are lighter, and more flimsy than the older ones but will still work.

As for lubing your cable controls, check with your local motorcycle shop. There is a company that makes a cable lube with an attachment that enables you to shoot the lube up the cable jacket under pressure. I have one somewhere in my man cave, but don't ask me to find it in a hurry.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

i got the wiper arm springs installed and on the car! as well as a working hood latch now!

walter, the springs i bought had a straight piece and a hook on the end, rather than a loop. that's what was originally on the wiper arms, so that's what i got... and it seems to hold it good and tight! it looks like the hood latch spring was like the pics you posted (in a pic i came across of the underside of the assembly), but mine was slightly different. i bought the same type of spring as the wiper arms and it seems to be fine.

good point, john. my J-hook was cut and bent out of the way for some reason. the spring still looks good, but i had to remove the whole thing in order to close the hood (after a 20 minute ordeal of trying to pry it open with a prybar and a screwdriver moving the latch!). i also had to readjust the placement of the latch assembly, but i'm happy to not have to use elastic straps to hold the hood shut anymore! i'm going to look for a new J-hook while also looking into getting mine bent back and welded with reinforcements (in the event i can't find a new one... or can't afford a new one). gonna go look at SI right now.

thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X