Modern Paint Code Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Paint Code Needed

Does anyone have a modern paint code for 1953 Maui Blue and Shasta White? (I think that's the correct name for the off-white). The colors on this car:

Hi Matthew--

I can't help with the paint codes, but I'm pretty sure the top color is Ivory Mist. Hope this helps.

Dave
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

According to the Auto Color Library, the off-white that you are referring to for 1953 is Ivory Mist.
      The Maui Blue was on the 1953 color chart.Both had the (original)Ditzler paint code numbers for these colors.I couldn't quite make out what they were because I didn't have my bifocals handy.Maybe a 'paint guy' can cross-reference these to a modern code.
      ***As far I can tell, Maui Blue is DQE-10988-DAL
      and Ivory Mist is DQE-80828-DAL
      Last edited by rusty65; 03-27-2011, 03:50 PM. Reason: found larger print

Comment

Maui Blue/Ivory Mist

Try this site Matt:

Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by (S) View Post
          I can't figure this site out. Do they offer formulas, sell the paint, or what? I don't think the old Ditzler number will do anything for the local paint guys.

Comment

Back in the early nineties when I wanted to paint my Maui Blue Land Cruiser, no one could give me a modern paint formula for Maui Blue. I wanted to use PPG's Concept Cure plural component paint. The local PPG supplier (no longer in business) had a tech that was good at custom mixing and color matching. Not many have the nerve or are willing to put up with the headaches. He did a great job and no one has ever questioned my paint color. Only my lousy job of applying it. Good luck with your search.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
              I can't figure this site out. Do they offer formulas, sell the paint, or what? I don't think the old Ditzler number will do anything for the local paint guys.
              They want to sell the paint, at premium prices. If your local jobber can cross the code you are set. If not, you need to get a sample scanned or call the duPont folks for a modern equivalent. Still, nice to have the chip sheet references.
              Last edited by rockne10; 03-27-2011, 07:10 PM.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                They want to sell the paint, at premium prices. If your local jobber can cross the code you are set. If not, you need to get a sample scanned or call the duPont folks for a modern equivalent. Still, nice to have the chip sheet references.
                Using the magnifying feature I think (numbers on this page are a little fuzzy) the Ditzler numbers are:
                Ivory Mist DQE-80628-DAL
                Maui Blue DQE-10988-DAL

Any modern paint shop should be able to look up these numbers and find the formula to custom blend a color that matches. You could always call this website and verify the numbers with them.
                sigpic
                John
                63R-2386
                Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Matthew i know nothing about paint or paint codes but am always willing to learn , so i will be watching this thread with interest as i have a 1950 champion whose original paint is Ojai Green ,( used only on cars manufactured in the Los Angeles plant ) and nearly impossible to find any information about ( although i was lucky enough to come across an original paint chip )

Comment

Shasta White is a 1955 Studebaker color. I have used it on 1953s because I like the look of it.
                    Ivory Mist, as pictured, or Olympic Gray were the normal light colors for the roof of a 1953.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

computer match the paint

Matthew, if you have access to the car, all you need is a 3"x3" square of good paint and any PPG shop (as well as others, I'm sure) can take a computer image and come up with a modern mixture right from the car. I did this on my Melody Blue '48 Land Cruiser and '63 Ermine White Wagonaire and I'll dare anyone to call them "off". On the '48, you couldn't tell, other than shine, old from new. The Wagonaire was a complete repaint. I used a spot of original paint from under the wide Daytona aluminum trim on the side of the car, as paint under the hood or other high heat areas tend to yellow or change somewhat. I even have the formulas saved under my name at the local jobber for future touch ups, etc. Bish
                      sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
                      1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                      1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                      1963 8E28 GSA order
                      1963 8E5 SOLD!
                      1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

I went after a can of Maui Blue today. The most accurate paint code for it is DS161 from Du Pont.
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

The color formula numbers from years ago aren't really any use now, but the major manufacturers have cross references that show colors that come close but thats about it. As Rockne & Bish have said, having the paint jobber match the color from a good sample is the way to go. This way can be dead nuts on for solid colors, metallics are somewhat of a crap shoot, but alot closer either way than trying to match up a current formula to one the contains no longer existing toners. I have seen color chips that are labeled with the formula number only. They too can be helpful in matching to an old chip page.

PPG has a cross reference that I tried for my 63 Hawk needing Rose Mist. Their cross ref gave me a VW color that to me, would have been a waste of time & money. I have seen some older Toyotas & Fords that come close but I want a match, not something that looks like it came from a lowline paintshop not known for quality.
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Check with your paint supplier. They had a cross for the red on my 64 hawk.

Comment

I have never had much luck in getting samples scanned ,they come up with something close but never right on.I find scanning is a begining and then the paint shop has to do the final mixing by hand in order to get it to a perfect match.

Comment

Working...
                              X