engine sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: engine sling

I am looking for advice on a good adjustable engine sling. there seems to be two types, the threaded rod spreader bar type and the Oberg cable type. I don't want no harbor frieght crap.

Installing a Hemi in my hawk probably will take one or two or twelve trial fits.
    any experiece would be helpful.

I'm used to working on triumph spitfire & GT6 where the whole front clip comes off with three bolts and the engine weighs what 300# maybe
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

I have both types. Generally prefer the threaded type.
    Bill H
    Daytona Beach
    SDC member since 1970
    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

I use a threaded type also. It works much better than any other way I have ever tried. Mine came from either NAPA or Carquest. Steve
      sigpic

Comment

That's too bad about not using a Harbor Freight engine leveler, because this one works very well. $39.95 - 20% = $31.92
        (and it could very well be that some of your old car is in there for nostalgia sake)

Amazing deals on this 2T Load Leveler at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Here's an OTC one (1500 pound capacity) #4305
        $79.28 ...but $49.26 from Amazon.com

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Mark, I got one from HF (threaded type) and it works great.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I have the Harbor Frieght one myself. Used it so far on my Champ truck twice- once to chage the engine & second time to change the clutch. Then changed the engine on my 66 to install a 327. Then pulled the blown engine out of the wifes Mercedes 240 D complete with trans & installed a 300 D turbo, also trans & all. Lots of adjustment & still has lots of life left in it. They might seel some stuff that is less than what one would expect, but my experience with this one is why waste your money on something that is only better in your mind?

P.S. both times in the Champ it was engine/ trans assembly- 1200-1300 pounds of metal (est) each time!
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

My Harbor Frieght leveler works fine and has for a half dozen engine pulls.

Comment

Hi Mark, I would go with the OTC, for an extra 20 bucks you can have piece of mind and a tool that will last for years, with a guarantee you won't need.

Comment

So far my HF leveler has been OK (used twice, short block only). That said, I would not put anything valuable under the lifted engine (w/ any unit) - Esp an arm or hand. Had a HF pitman arm puller explode before the arm came loose and am not anymore confident in the lift leveler.
                  Paul K

Comment

If you get the Harbor Freight one, get the one shown on the other posts. The one I got must have been on sale or discontinued and it won't adjust to level the engne, never mind the engine/tranny. It's downright dangerous and I won't use it. I've had decent results with other products, tranny jacks, arbor presses and some of the cheap handtools.

Art

Comment

I also used the Harbor Frieght model. I found it to be very difficult to crank until I used axle bearing grease on all the moving parts. After that, it worked quite well.
                      sals54

Comment

I just purchased a load leveler through Ebay this week from a company named 'Craig's Affordable Tools' of Erie Michigan. Direct website is www.affordabletool.com
                        This is a new 4000 pound (2 ton) rated engine hoist load leveler that I bought for $34.99 (their everyday price) with free shipping. Looks good, but I have yet to try it.
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I use the threaded type now. Before that just used a chain with a bolt through a couple links to adjust the angle. I strongly suggest you pull the front sheet metal off to get things fitted right. It's not that difficult, and you reduce the chance of damage if something should fall on it. I had my engine in and out at least a dozen time during my swap and having a clear path sure made it easier.

pat
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Guess I am just too old school! I have been R&Ring engines for over 60 years using just a length of chain well positioned for the load.
                            Bought a HF leveler, tried it and returned it. These newfangled contraptions! =)

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dude View Post
                              Guess I am just too old school! I have been R&Ring engines for over 60 years using just a length of chain well positioned for the load.
                              Bought a HF leveler, tried it and returned it. These newfangled contraptions! =)
                              Old school rocks! Lost the slip so I still have mine, I just use a chain like I have for "only" the past 50 years.

Art

Comment

Working...
                              X