Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Saturday Night Special", paint or not!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Saturday Night Special", paint or not!!!

Okay youall, since I have had my car driveable, I have had it at a small local show, and at the SE zone meet, and around here local. At least half the people tell me I can't paint it. It needs to stay the way it is. So do I put the original upholstery in it also? I know some of you are gonna say " your money, your car, your choise". But, just for fun, why don't yall decide for me. See how the vote turns out. Heck, I may never paint it. Here's a couple of shots. You can see, she's rough.

Let the voting begin and all yall decide.

Having seen your car in person...

Leave the paint alone, the touch-ups you've done are passable in my book. Put a custom 50's style interior in. And I'd probably put the grille bars back in.

Keep driving it.
    Last edited by mbstude; 03-26-2011, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Save your paint money for more vintage speed parts
      Jeff
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It is easy for us to weigh in when it is not our money at risk. I think I saw in another thread where someone said to not paint it and drive the wheels off.

My opinion is that if you can afford it...make it as pretty as you can. That way it can be eye candy for you when just sitting in your yard. However, remember that when you are out and about with it, you become a "Studebaker ambassador."

Your car is one of the models that make people say, "I wish I had one of those!" or, "I forgot how beautiful and sleek they were."

We should also be respectful of those with "beaters" that just don't make good economic sense to overspend on and others who simply can't afford it. I have cars that fit both categories.

Overall, I think that if we carry ourselves with a good friendly attitude and conduct ourselves with a spirit of fun...it goes a long way in how our beloved Studebakers are perceived.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Well, you know my vote is for no paint, as for the interior go with stock in good shape with patina, or as Matthew suggests, late 50's-early 60's ...maybe tuck'n roll in a light color with contrasting piping and lap belts in the front that match the piping?. The moon eyes have to stay, as does the steering wheel, gauges and shifter. Very Cool. Junior.
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I'm not a CASO, so my vote is to paint it............... First impressions are what makes the world go round.
            It is an addiction!

Comment

My vote would be to hand the keys over to me and your worries would be over.

Tom
              sigpic

Comment

Drive until you can't stand it any longer, then paint it to a 100 points and and drive it to 40 points and start over. JMO.

Comment

Tex, when I saw your car at the Zone Meet last weekend I told my friend who was with me at the time that of all the cars on the field, yours is the one I would love to drive home. I mean drive it home just like it is. No changes. No new shiny paint, no redone interior, no doctoring of the grill. Like Jeff said save your money for more of those cool vintage speed parts. The sound, the stance, the look are perfect as they are right now.

Don't let folks put a guilt trip on you about being an ambassador for Studebakerdom. I think your car, being all Studebaker, is a great representative of the Studebaker marque.

My vote --- no new paint. Leave well enough alone.

By-the-way, your car is Editor's Choice in this month's The Down Easterner of which I am the editor.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I think she looks good just the way she is. Enjoy her for as long as you can.
                    Last edited by Anne F. Goodman; 03-27-2011, 08:06 AM.
                    Mabel 1949 Champion
                    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                    Gus 1958 Transtar
                    The Prez 1955 President State
                    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                    Fresno,Ca

Comment

You did a great job on that car . Leave it as it is . ( NO PAINT ) .
                      If original interior is in good shape use it . .

Comment

[QUOTEEnjoy her for ass long as you can.[/QUOTE]

Is there a comma missing in there???
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Drive it as is.The world is full of painted cars.
                          Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

for the $$$ of a decent paint job, you could buy a few larks, or maybe that scotsman in GA, that i reckon is matthew's...
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

The voting seems to be running pretty heavy to keep it as is. As you can see below... my vote would be likewise. Keep the paint as it is and drive the wheels off it. Use the money saved from the paint to upgrade to disc brakes, or doll up the interior, or even do some speed parts as someone else suggested. Enjoy ! ! ! !
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X