This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DilloCrafter's rebuilt Champion Six in progress

NOTE: This thread is to document the progress of repainting and installing a rebuilt 1957 truck engine that will go into my 1955 truck. I'll share my observations on POR-15 engine paint and their "system" for applying it. Click on the thumbnail size images for the larger view. I am using thumbnails to help out those using dial-up modems.

Some of you may remember the horror story of my rebuilt Champion Six motor that was dropped on its end by a freight company back in February of this year. Well, after a couple of months of haggling with the claims department and providing all kinds of detailed documentation, they authorized the rebuilder to re-use any good parts, get whatever new parts were needed, and start over.

Several months later, the engine has now arrived at my house, and waits in the garage for a nice red paint job, like the ones Bill Cathcart puts on his Champion rebuilds:
    cathcartsstudebaker.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, cathcartsstudebaker.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Mine will look like the one on his home page, with Offenhauser dual intake, and Cathcart's handmade dual exhaust headers. Only difference is the head. Wish I could afford a shiny finned aluminum head, but my powdercoated "near chrome" cast iron head looks pretty good, although "near shiny gray" is a better description of the color.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/restoration/thm-motor-ready-for-paint-left.JPG[/img=left] Click image for a larger view

I especially want to thank our sometimes forum poster, Bunzard, for telling me about the rebuilder in Cheyenne Wyoming, and for helping get it to him, and finally for helping get it bolted to a pallet and crated. This was a valuable step that was done differently the first time, which I believe contributed to the catastrophe.

In a few weeks or a month, when it finally gets into my truck, we will have a happy ending, with a six cylinder flathead Champion engine (originally from a 1957 Transtar, according to SN 1E-11304) that has been reportedly dyno'ed at 195 hp, doubling the power of the stock engine. With my rear end changed to 4.09, and the overdrive actuated, I should do just fine on the interstate - maybe drive it to South Bend for next year's meet.

Now, I gotta work on improving the brakes!

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

Now THAT'S Good News! Git that damned thing on the road![]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Now THAT'S Good News! Git that damned thing on the road![]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A thing of beauty is a joy forever! Your engine is as beautiful as it is functional. So if you'll forgive another well worn-isim: Beauty is as beauty does. And your's is.[8D] Don't worry about the finned heads. It's just fine!

Lotsa Larks!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

A thing of beauty is a joy forever! Your engine is as beautiful as it is functional. So if you'll forgive another well worn-isim: Beauty is as beauty does. And your's is.[8D] Don't worry about the finned heads. It's just fine!

Lotsa Larks!
          Ron Smith
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Real nice engine, love to have one like that in my 48 Champion!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Real nice engine, love to have one like that in my 48 Champion!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Thanks, guys. But wait, I haven't painted it red yet! More photos to come once it is installed in the truck (or as soon as it's painted).

If it runs as well as it is said to do, I'll probably want to rebuild my tired old one (that is in the truck now) in the same way, and buy a Lark to put it into. It would be "different" to have the same power as a 259 V8 in a Champion flathead six, sitting in the engine compartment of a Lark. Of course, I would only do that if the Lark's engine was not in good shape when I get it.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Thanks, guys. But wait, I haven't painted it red yet! More photos to come once it is installed in the truck (or as soon as it's painted).

If it runs as well as it is said to do, I'll probably want to rebuild my tired old one (that is in the truck now) in the same way, and buy a Lark to put it into. It would be "different" to have the same power as a 259 V8 in a Champion flathead six, sitting in the engine compartment of a Lark. Of course, I would only do that if the Lark's engine was not in good shape when I get it.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                  "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Dillo -- What mods were made to it to get the HP increase ?
                    Nice --

53commander HDTP
                    53 Champion HDTP
                    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                    64 Champ long bed V8
                    64 GT
                    64 Champ long bed V8
                    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Dillo -- What mods were made to it to get the HP increase ?
                      Nice --

53commander HDTP
                      53 Champion HDTP
                      61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                      64 Champ long bed V8
                      64 GT
                      64 Champ long bed V8
                      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I can't believe that the engine builder could wring out 195 horses from a Champion engine. No one will believe you've got a Champion engine in that truck. Good luck.
                        Yea, and red will look great too.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark Regal Hardtop
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I can't believe that the engine builder could wring out 195 horses from a Champion engine. No one will believe you've got a Champion engine in that truck. Good luck.
                          Yea, and red will look great too.
                          Rog
                          '59 Lark Regal Hardtop
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

As far as I know, the modifications include Offenhauser racing cam upgrade, porting and polishing, larger intake valves, and I'm sure a certain amount of overboring the cylinders. It was dyno'ed at 195 h.p. with a single carburetor, but the dual carbs on the Offenhauser dual intake should add another 10-15 h.p., according to Bill Cathcart. Others who have put that dual system on their flatheads have reported a noticeable increase in power.

Bill Cathcart does the same modifications as the rebuilder I used, so you may be able to learn a lot from his website. Look for the link to "Articles", where he has one on modifying a Champion engine:
                            cathcartsstudebaker.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, cathcartsstudebaker.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                            The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                            The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

As far as I know, the modifications include Offenhauser racing cam upgrade, porting and polishing, larger intake valves, and I'm sure a certain amount of overboring the cylinders. It was dyno'ed at 195 h.p. with a single carburetor, but the dual carbs on the Offenhauser dual intake should add another 10-15 h.p., according to Bill Cathcart. Others who have put that dual system on their flatheads have reported a noticeable increase in power.

Bill Cathcart does the same modifications as the rebuilder I used, so you may be able to learn a lot from his website. Look for the link to "Articles", where he has one on modifying a Champion engine:

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                              The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                              The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Working...
                              X