Flex plate question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Flex plate question?

When I start my Hawk these days it sounds like its starting dry for the first few revs.An older stude man had a listen & the first thing he said was ,he thought my flex plate was broken...Could this cause such a condition during start up?

A broken flex plate normally sounds more like a rod knock. A broken flex plate will not change due to temperature or lubrication (gets none). Even after the engine is warmed up, you will hear a broken flex plate, especially upon acceleration.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It seems every starter has a different sound and yours miht have sounded different to him.

Not sure what you mean by "starting dry" though.

ErnieR

Comment

You will hear a substantial knock/clang upon acceration. Your car will still move until the flex plate breaks completely and separates from the engine crank, then will not move. The flex plate mounts directly on the engine crank then bolts to the torque convertor. I was 18 years old when my Lark's flex plate broke and lost my wheels for a few weeks, that was 32 years ago. Since then I've always put a new flex plate on a transmission or engine replacement. Cheap insurance.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Thanks Gents,I do hear a definate knock,knock,knock upon start up but it goes away in a few seconds.I used the term dry start because I didn't know how else to describe it.It sounds fine after starting ,no clunks or knocks even at high speed there seems to be nothing unusual.Is the flex plate visable by removing the shields on the bell housing?When my tranny was rebuilt the shop supplied me with a supposed new flex plate....grrrr!

Comment

Watch your oil pressure gauge. If it is slow going up and the noise quits when it does go up.
            Guess what? It's not the flex plate.

Comment

OK Flashback you've got me....What could it be?

Comment

If the car has been sitting for a while in between start ups try not setting the choke and crank it until the gage moves and see if it still knocks on start up. If it knocks while cranking then it could be something as simple as a loose starter to trans connection or a starter has loose housing bolts.

ErnieR

Comment

If it stops after oil pressure, it could very well be main bearings. Does it have good
                  oil pressure when hot? What oil are you using? It's hard to say just listening to it
                  run over the forum. I have seen a simple vibration cause someone to sell a car,
                  thinking it was a knock. STP additive might stop it if it is bearing noise.(short term)

Comment

Thanks to all who responded,I've been able to narrow it down but its not looking pretty.I now know its not the flex plate or the starter or any loose mounts on engine or tranny.With the recent warm spell I've been able to clear the snow away from my pit & have a good look & feel down under.With my hand on the front bottom of the oil pan I can feel the knock during start up & the noise does stop when oil pressure comes up,& if I crank it over until the oil pressure comes up it dosen't seem to knock....The OP gauge reads (hot) 40+ at 60mph & drops to 8 at idle in D with the brake applied.I use Castrol GTX 15-40 with the zinc additives but will try some STP, it can't hurt .....Anyone have a R1 engine for sale?

Comment

Working...
                    X