Seeking New or Rebuilt 259 V8 for '64 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking New or Rebuilt 259 V8 for '64 Commander

My high mileage (137K) 259 ci V8 in my '64 Commander is leaking and burning some oil and I would like to get it replaced with a new or rebuilt engine. Otherwise the engine is a strong runner.

Are there reputable sellers out there of these engines? Are NOS long or short blocks available? What would be involved in instead rebuilding the current engine? Is it hard to find a machine shop that will work on a Studebaker engine and that knows what they are doing?

What price ranges are we talking about here?

I had the body redone and professionally repainted to its original ivory color last summer, and prior to that had an NOS headliner and new windlace installed.

Thanks
    Tom

Here's where being a member of your local SDC Chapter shines!
    I'm sure Studebaker owners in your vicinity could point you to local reputable shops; some of them may themselves be re-builders.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Or, we have some good folks right here! Not that tough to ship to/from anywhere in the 48 States. Jack Vines is one, he will likely be along soon and respond.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

That's right, and plenty of longtime SDC members around there with great engine rebuilding contacts.

Comment

A running core is about 400-800 bucks depending on how nice it 'checks out' and a good rebuild runs about $2K depending on who does the work, what parts go into it, and how many good cores they have to choose from. I'm too far , shipping an engine is 400 bucks to the central US now.

Comment

A rebuild kit from SI is 1900.00. Machine shop costs 600.00 to 900.00. Then there is oil, filter,and tune up parts. R&R the engine and labor takeing the engine apart and assembly about 1000.00. I do Studebaker work in South Bend and can supply references. Jim

Comment

Yes, to do a complete stock long block rebuild, the going rate is $2995.

No, you won't find and don't want an NOS short or long block. The owners of the one or two remaining think they are worth more than a rebuild.

Maybe, final cost depends on whether you can remove, strip to the long block and then re-dress and install the rebuild yourself. We've gotten out of that business. If you can handle the in-and-out, find someone close to you, such as Jim and drive your engine down to him.

At present, we're doing a mild performance rebuild of a Packard V8 for a member in North Carolina. Once the engine is on a pallet, the distance doesn't matter as much as some might think.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Nibbs 53 might want to add some thing here when he reads this about the rebuilt 259 we have sitting in the shop right now, build some time back by a pro engine builder of the past here in the Bay area, was a big Mo-power man Cecil Yother, built and drove the Melrose Missile in the early 60's that engine is for sale.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Posted by PackardV8
                  Once the engine is on a pallet, the distance doesn't matter as much as some might think.
                  Jack makes a great point that should not be lost. If you can get it on a pallet, LTL [Less Than Truckload] Freight can move it a long way for a reasonable price. My 200R4 went almost 800 miles for $75 a year ago. For that you need to pick it up at a shippers dock but for $50 more it could be delivered to my residence on a lift gate truck.

Bob

Comment

Nibbs 53 might want to add some thing here when he reads this about the rebuilt 259 we have sitting in the shop right now, build some time back by a pro engine builder of the past here in the Bay area, was a big Mo-power man Cecil Yother, built and drove the Melrose Missile in the early 60's that engine is for sale.
                    1. Award nomination - best run-on-stream-of-consciousness sentence of the year thus far. ;>)
                    2. I met Cecil back in about '73 and can confirm he knew engines.
                    3. Is the engine rebuilt to stock specs?
                    4. How much?

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

It is funny how things go, there was an auction on e-bay a few years ago and a 64 GT was the subject and it also was in our town Hayward, California so I e-mailed and asked if we could look at the car, he gave us the address and we went over , it was in a mobile home park and non running cars are not to be there but the guy had it covered good enough that he got away with it for some time now he was moving out of the country and the car had to go we looked it over and found rust in the under side in the wheel wells both sides holes the size of soft balls the car was from out of state he stated the engine was rebuilt be Cecil Yother a couple of years before and was never installed in the car just sitting on a stand covered up he had a buy it now of $3200.00 on the auction I said never happen but lets wait out the auction and if you still have it at the end I will give you $1500.00 for it, so auction ended and we went and picked every thing up as he was moving out car was a 3 speed with overdrive and the seats were still in good shape. the engine turned to be an early 259 with a 2 bld. manifold, we didn't question him much about the rebuild why would Cecil Yother be named as the builder if he was not just an old 259 Studebaker, we were able to track down Cecil through some friend in the model trains club as he is into them heavy and lives in Washington state. when we called him and asked if he remembered building a Studebaker and if so was it balanced as the seller had told us, the best he could recall was he did build a Studebaker almost as his last engine he built in his shop and if he built it then it was balanced as he balanced every engine he built, so the engine sits in the shop on a stand ready for some one to want it, we want $2000.00 for it and one can not build one for twice the price, you know us Studebaker people could write a story about every Studebaker we ever bought, there is it is and I am sticking to it.
                      Last edited by candbstudebakers; 03-22-2011, 09:20 PM.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                        X