Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Dissapearing Fuel (II)

Disappearing Fuel (II)
    A while back I started the thread about fuel evaporating from the carb on my newly landed '51 Commander. After about 4 days I'd have to really crank it get the fuel bowls filled before she'd fire up. I looked at all sorts of possible remedies, but decided to start by checking the fuel levels in the bowls - all good?? A couple of weeks back I opened the hood just after I'd got home to check the oil and noticed a 'lot' of fuel vapour coming out of a steel tube on the passenger side of the after market AFB carb, (I assumed it was the fuel bowl vent line). This concerned me a little as the thought of vapourised fuel pouring out over a hot engine didn't thrill me. So I experimented by fitting a tube from this spigot into the underside fo the air filter. I thought if it causes problems on my next run it was easy to remove on the side of the road.

Not only were there no problems, it seems to have rectified the evaporating fuel issue. I can now leave the car for a week, one pump and she fires up straight off ????? The logic escapes me, but I'm accepting it ;-) The routing of the fuel bowl vent shouldn't have made any difference to the evaporation. My only therory is that there is some condensed fuel in the bend of the tube, which loops down before going up into the air filter, thereby sealing the vent. Anyone else have a therory?
    Last edited by Aussie Hawk; 03-21-2011, 02:21 PM.
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

The new gas boils off way too easy.
    Add a quart of diesel fuel to every tank full and it will help slow that down.
    My other solution?
    Drive the pi$$ out of it until it is empty.

Fresh gas is like hard boiled eggs.
    After a day or so, they stink whether you use them or not.
    Jeff

Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
    Disappearing Fuel (II)
    <snip>
    Anyone else have a therory?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Disappearing Fuel (II)

Not only were there no problems, it seems to have rectified the evaporating fuel issue. I can now leave the car for a week, one pump and she fires up straight off ????? The logic escapes me, but I'm accepting it ;-) The routing of the fuel bowl vent shouldn't have made any difference to the evaporation. My only therory is that there is some condensed fuel in the bend of the tube, which loops down before going up into the air filter, thereby sealing the vent. Anyone else have a therory?
      Matt

I think you are dead on. Gas vapor is heavier than air, that why a step up is required on a garage attached to a house, so I think you "vapor locked" the vapor leak.

Bob

Comment

Out of curiosity what type of fuel do you have there in Australia? Does it contain Ethanol like here in the States?

Comment

Originally posted by 53commander View Post
          Out of curiosity what type of fuel do you have there in Australia? Does it contain Ethanol like here in the States?
          Funny you should ask, I just got home from filling the '51 at A$1.61.9 per litre !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Theiving bastards.
          Anyway, rant over,.
          We have:
          10% Ethanol - 91 Octane
          Standard Unleaded - 95 Octane
          Premium Unleaded - 98 Octane.
          Matt
          Brisbane
          Australia
          sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

I am having the same problem with my 383, I may need to install an electric pump to get fuel to the carb before cranking.
            Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
            Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
            Lizella, GA

Comment

Funny you should ask, I just got home from filling the '51 at A$1.61.9 per litre !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Theiving bastards.
              Anyway, rant over,.
              We have:
              10% Ethanol - 91 Octane
              Standard Unleaded - 95 Octane
              Premium Unleaded - 98 Octane.

I would dearly LOVE to be able to buy 98 octane fuel here. Here we can get 87 (regular unleaded) 89 (mid grade unleaded) and 91 or occasionally 92 (premium). Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X