Triple Threat Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Threat Trucks

I am continuing to be amazed at the people I meet in the world of Studebaker's. While working on the Avanti for Bonneville last year I was blessed by a host of people who donated or loaned parts for the endevour. One of those people is Tom McCaffrey from Lompoc, California. This weekend he gave me (yes you read that right) this 1949 2R5

and this 1953 2R5

and then just for good measure he asked if I would like a 1962 Transtar 1 ton frame. Since I am building a tow vehicle for the Avanti I figured it would make a great heavy duty support vehicle. Not to mention that it will be cool towing the Avanti around with a Stude pick up. So I was busy towing three trucks 100+ miles per trip. So I should have most of the major pieces I need to get started on the truck. I have some awesome plans for the other trucks too but that is for another time. Studebaker people are the greatest and have come through for me in my time of need in amazing ways. I will post updates as the project goes forward.
    Dan

Nice score! Looks like a great project, best of luck with it. Hmmm, I wonder how well one of those 2R5 bodies would fit on a later model Dodge chassis with Cummins diesel power? Would make a great trailer toter.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Cool beans! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I went to school with the McCaffreys, they lived down the street. Do they still own the hilltop west of town where they store most of the Studebakers? Tom had the first Weasle I ever saw. Neal

Comment

They make a great hauler, but need some modifying to work on the Dodge chassis. My friend Jack Harris built his on a early 90's Dodge Cummins diesel. He is a fine craftsman, and did the work himself, including extending and fabricating the tilt front clip. He pulls a 5th wheel nationwide with it to Studebaker events with his wife Bernie. Jack said the interior was very warm in summer from the Cummins, he originally had added small hood vents to let some of the engine compartment heat out that you can see in the first picture, but eventually went with more a more innovative, and original vent. Note how great that front clip looks with no hood seams, and all those flowing curves. Nice work!
          I own time machines.....

Comment

Hey Neal, its been a long time! We still have "the hill' , most of the stude's are in my truck yard though. Dan the champ frame is a 3/4 ton as they made no one tons! Tom.
            Tom McCaffrey

Comment

Thanks Tom. I need to keep the info straight as people want to know what's being done to these beauties.
              Dan

Comment

No 1 Tons?

Originally posted by studebaker of lompoc View Post
                Hey Neal, its been a long time! We still have "the hill' , most of the stude's are in my truck yard though. Dan the champ frame is a 3/4 ton as they made no one tons! Tom.
                I believe you mean there were no Champ 1 tons... except maybe the unit shown below. Of course Transtars and Diesels were available in 1 ton models.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Champ1ton.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1667708
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

OK,
                  So when I went to pick up the 61 frame Tom told me that the owner of a 1952 Studebaker Camper truck wanted to know if I would be interested in owning it. Tom and I went to see the truck. It is really cool looking. Lot's of upgrades and would make a great support vehicle for the Avanti. Then the best news, I could have it if I wanted it. Yes that is four Studebaker trucks have been given to me so that I can pursue my Bucket List items. So far the Avanti project has kept me feeling young and going strong. So four trucks should help me stay healthy for ??? Heres a pic of the camper in case you haven't seen it on the camper post.

Look for updates as we get it road ready.
                  Dan

Comment

Nice score!!!! Most deals including four free vehicles here in Iowa would involve rust head to toe.

Tom
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X