Crankshaft End Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Crankshaft End Play

Am slowing putting the 259 engine together. Did a few things backwards however. I put in the camshaft and installed the cam gear. Then put the main bearings in the block and torqued the crank (brand new std size). I took the old sim (thickness unknown) from the old crank and installed it along with the thrust washer. I am now working on "End Play". Trying to follow the shop manual as outlined (page 46). I put a piece of steel pipe with the same internal diamater as the snout and torqued the crankshaft bolt. When I measured the space between the thrust plate and the bearing I get .006. I could not detect any movement at all on the crank when I tried to move it with a bar, as outlined in the shop manual. IS THAT NORMAL? If that method of measuring is OK, should I now remove the cam gear and removed the crackshaft shim to reduce it as the manual says it should be between .001 and .006, or should I live with .006?

Thanks

T-cab

I would leave the endplay at .006 as that is still in limits. If I remember correctly, the thinnest shim available is .005. You may find that after going through the trouble to remove a shim, you won't have any end play. Bud

Comment

The cam and gear may be keeping the crank from moving. Best to remove the cam gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
        The cam and gear may be keeping the crank from moving. Best to remove the cam gear.
        The cam gear is not on the car. The crankshaft is not stuck it spins freely.

According to the parts book the thinest shim is .003.

T-cab
        Last edited by T-CAB; 03-17-2011, 03:33 PM. Reason: Goofed! Cam gear is still on. But it is not stuck.

Comment

I see that you are not doing it by the dial indicator method. Using feeler gauges is not the best way to set end play.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
            I see that you are not doing it by the dial indicator method. Using feeler gauges is not the best way to set end play.
            Alan, that is part of my concern. I can not detect any end-play movement on the crack at all. It spins freely and there is a gap of .006 between the thrust plate and the front main bearing. I tried to move the crankshaft back and forth as outlined in the manual and there was zero movement at all, or at least so small I could not detect it.

Thanks for the help.

T-cab

Comment

T-CAB, as Alan said, you would be better off with a dial indicator. A measurement with a feeler gauge is subjective to your "feel" of the gauge and .003 to .006 is not much range for error. When I set mine I couldn't really see the movement at .004, but the dial indicator showed it clearly. One thing I noticed setting mine was that I had .004 of free movement back and forth, but at the end of the free movement I could could get another .001 if I applied a little pressure.

Good Luck
              Wayne
              Wayne
              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X