Caddy VS. Packard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caddy VS. Packard

Just watched Desert Car Kings tonight at the first of the show They were showing off a 57 Parkard Stationwagon ,They only showed a few shots of it but they were talking about it being a solid car and what little I saw of it, it looked really promising for their next rebuild. It looked exactly like my 57 Commander right down to the tailights and hood emblem.
    So the guys go to their boss and tell him about the wagon "but" he's looking at a 50 Caddy 4 door all stripped out and no motor .They redo the Caddy to the tune of over $10,000 and put the wrong year motor in it then never auctioned it off and kept it.
    The Parkard what I saw of it had the same hood embelm as my 57 Broadmore and the same Taillights . I got rid of it last summer it was gutted out with rust I got it for the Stainless trim off it for my sedan. And gave away a couple of parts off it to other owners.
    I was really hoping to see them do something with the wagon. Maybe in the future shows they well. The lines on the wagon are just so unique, I'd really like to see one restored, not just pictures .
    So if anyone has a lot of money and knows where their wrecking yard is maybe it can be bought . If I recall they did a Bullet nose a week or so ago.
    Its nice to see someone has the money to restore this stuff Lord knows I don't , But I'm happy to own my 58 Scottsman and just put a tune up on it last weekend just waitng for that Cruising weather coming soon.

It sounds to me like maybe you might have more then a few '57/'58 Studes...

One of these days I'll get the information about those cars I need for my Registry.
    (check your PMs)

FYI~ a '57 Stude and a '57 Packard are two TOTALLY different animals!!!! (I own BOTH)
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

FYI~ a '57 Stude and a '57 Packard are two TOTALLY different animals!!!! (I own BOTH)

"YEP" and I was surprized they were calling it a Packard , It sure looked like a 57 Studebaker to me, at least they had the year correct

Comment

I saw it. It was clearly a two-tone green STUDEBAKER Provincial. The first time they said 'Packard' was during a shot of the rear gate clearly showing the word 'STUDEBAKER' across the back. They even showed a close-up of the 'PROVINCIAL' script, while they're telling all about Packards and how rare they are, and a restored wagon should be worth $13K. Seriously, a bunch of idiots, an offense to anyone who loves the hobby I did, however, like their "parts value" of $2750. I'd love to get that for mine that's in better shape!

I railed against this show when it started a few weeks back. Read about it here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TV.-Show.-EVER.

While my analysis still stands, and each episode is as stupid as the last, nonetheless I find myself looking in in spite of it all because I LOVE seeing junkyards and the rust-free condition of the cars therein So I watch, but have to get my mind right and block out most of the inane dialogue Just be aware, if you watch and love the old car hobby, you will be offended within the first five minutes
        Last edited by Bob Andrews; 03-17-2011, 02:52 AM.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Desert Valley Auto parts has two yards. One in Pheonix and one in Maricopa. Walked the Maricopa yard last year. All Studebakers had been moved to Pheonix. Jim

Comment

I have mixed feelings about that show. On one hand, my 18 month old son knows more about cars than some of the goobers working on these things. They do crappy restorations that make amateurs like me cringe, and I'm pretty sure they can't give a realistic vehicle value to save their lives. On the other hand, even if their restorations are crappy, they're still getting cars that were scrapped back on the road, which is a good thing more often than not. No matter which way you look at it, this show ain't "Overhaulin'" by any stretch of the imagination.
            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Their concept of "restoration" is totally different than mine.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by JunkYardDog View Post
                "YEP" and I was surprized they were calling it a Packard , It sure looked like a 57 Studebaker to me, at least they had the year correct
                Now I understand what you were trying to say. Guess I should'a wacthed the show, eh?
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Hi All..
                  I immediatly noticed the Studebaker Provincial as well.. Just chuckled.. I have to wonder if some director / producer thought that a Packard vs Caddilac would be a better match..
                  The show is at best just a "Show" has little relation to the real world of car restorations.. Even at 3 weeks it's hard to believe that they are able to do all that they do.. I often wonder.. what about suspension, brakes engine etc.if nothing is done with those they don't even come close to a restoration..
                  Just my .02
                  Ron..
                  Oh Yeah, I still watch as well..

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                  Now I understand what you were trying to say. Guess I should'a wacthed the show, eh?
                  Ron Husak
                  Conifer, CO
                  Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
                  63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

I often wonder.. what about suspension, brakes engine etc.if nothing is done with those they don't even come close to a restoration..

My thoughts exactly, just wait tell some of the people who buy these cars drive them for a while and the seals all start leaking the the enigne starts haveing the lifters all make noise. But they're darn good at polishing chrome and painting.
                    I spotted a few things with the caddyThe drivers mirror on the spot light has peeling and bad inside the glaas and the hood hing support never got recoated and well be showing rust where it's presently hidden. The paint on the valve cover didn't look to hot either. Just think what shape some of these motors are going tobe in once their driven again.
                    I owned a wrecking yard and unless I knew the motor really well I was usually better off parting it out then selling it whole.

Comment

I got to thinking about this show and this thread yesterday...

You know what's sad (or at least very odd) is in one of the earlier shows I saw that they had a '58 Packard. They were 'interviewing' these guys as they stood right in front of it!!!!

They sure do know their cars.
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                        I got to thinking about this show and this thread yesterday...

You know what's sad (or at least very odd) is in one of the earlier shows I saw that they had a '58 Packard. They were 'interviewing' these guys as they stood right in front of it!!!!

They sure do know their cars.
                        But they do know their costs.

Let's take an example. "Restored" 50 Starlight coupe. High bid $8000 does not make reserve with a cost to build of $9500.

As opposed to: 1970 Olds 442. Sold at auction $14,000 with a build cost of $10,000.

Too reinforce the point: 1955 Ford F-100 Pickup, Sold at auction $6100 with a build cost of $5850.

I'm a little old and forgetful but if you put those numbers in front of me and I had to choose from the Studebaker family, 1958 Packard or a Cadillac, is there much doubt which I would choose. I guess I better put "CADILLAC" as my choice.

Yup!!! I know you'all said Stude or Packard but DVAP is not a non-profit business and needs money to pay the help.

JUST SAYIN', It's an easy choice if you need to turn a profit.

Finally, the show remains a gross POS but with DVR I can edit it down to the 5-6 minutes of watching and bury the dreck with the remote.

Bob

Comment

Point taken, point missed.

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                          But they do know their costs.
                          JUST SAYIN', It's an easy choice if you need to turn a profit. Finally, the show remains a gross POS but with DVR I can edit it down to the 5-6 minutes of watching and bury the dreck with the remote. Bob
                          I see your point, but you missed mine. The topic at hand was that these guys know their cars soo well that they don't seem to know Studebakers from Packards. Yes, they shared the same body, but come on!!! Take one look at a Provincial next to a Country Sedan~ they are very different. And also consider that in the case of a '57 or '58 Packard-- those BIG letters on the nose are not too hard to miss!!!
                          least that's what I always thought...
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment