total 1964 cruiser production numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• total 1964 cruiser production numbers

can anyone help me find out how many cruisers were produced for the 1964 model year?? this is the car my folks sent me off to college in back in 69 and have just found a nice one after 20 years of searching. thanks to all

5,023: South Bend and Hamilton 1964 Cruiser production combined. No breakout beyond that. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 03-16-2011, 06:03 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

bob, thank you. was hoping to see usa production. is there a way to determine location by the vin?/

Comment

Originally posted by commander56 View Post
        Bob, thank you. was hoping to see USA production. Is there a way to determine location by the vin?/
        The Serial Number plate spot-welded to the driver door hinge post will contain a C in the prefix of a Hamilton-built car.
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          The Serial Number plate spot-welded to the driver door hinge post will contain a C in the prefix of a Hamilton-built car.
          I suppose to be precise that US production 1964 Cruisers would start 64V or 64S*, and Hamilton production to the end of calendar year 1963 would start 64VC and 64SC*, and from January 2, 1964, the serials would start C-100001* for sixes and C-500001 for V8 for the cars produced exclusively in Hamilton. So, "I assume" the 5,023 could be any of the 4, with most of them US production, and mostly V8*

* I always used to think that the 63 Cruisers (Y8) and 64 Cruisers (Y9) were V8 only, with the sixes for Cruisers only coming along in 65-66, but then the chassis parts manual says 63V, 63S and 64V, 64S for these bodies. This just goes to show how many 63-64 Cruisers I have ever seen up close down here (zero)

I now notice this little detail because I have a 64 "Commander Special" 2 dr Astra White 170 automatic, which was to introduced as of January 2, 1964 after the shutdown of South Bend and therefore should have a serial# starting C-100xxx, but was pre-built October 1-3 1963 in Hamilton with a "Daytona kit" and so its serial number starts 64SC instead
          Last edited by Jim B PEI; 03-16-2011, 07:16 PM.

Comment

For 1964 models, Canadian production of Cruisers in Hamilton totalled 1275, all of them V8 automatics.

Comment

I have owned four 1964 Cruisers. That is why I keep passing on them when I come across them now.

I do not believe that there were any 1964 Y9s with six cylinder engines. Can someone supply documentation of 1964 Y9 cars actually built that were six cylinder? Parts books were usually produced before car production and often list things that were never built.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

so it would be safe to say that since my vin is 64v 10452 it would have ben built in 1964 in south bend?? any one know the number of the last cruiser built?/ wondering how far from the last one mine would be. thank you all for the great info

Comment

Your car was built in October 1963 in South Bend. The Studebaker National Museum can provide you with a copy of the production order for your car, which will give you the exact build date and all of the options with which it was originally equipped. The only way to determine how many Cruisers were built after your car would be analyze all the production orders at the museum. As far as I am aware, no one has done that for Cruisers.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by commander56 View Post
                    can anyone help me find out how many cruisers were produced for the 1964 model year?? this is the car my folks sent me off to college in back in 69 and have just found a nice one after 20 years of searching. thanks to all
                    Did you by chance buy Burmuda brown car off ebay a few weeks ago.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Turns out you did get our Bermuda brown Cruiser, hope you enjoy her.
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                        Turns out you did get our Bermuda brown Cruiser, hope you enjoy her.
                        I'm kinda fond of Bermuda Brown Cruisers!

Comment

Originally posted by mausersmth View Post
                          I'm kinda fond of Bermuda Brown Cruisers!
                          Pat, the previous owner found him a NOS goodie for the car and shipped it to him. Pat, is a stand up guy.
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniac View Post
                            For 1964 models, Canadian production of Cruisers in Hamilton totalled 1275, all of them V8 automatics.
                            So, 3,748 Cruisers in the US, less, I suppose, some that might have been made for export and never sold in the US. I quite believe Gary L would be correct in his supposition that all 63 & 64 Cruisers came with a V8, in spite of what the parts books might say. Now, another question I'll throw out. I "had understood" that all 63 and 64 Cruisers had a 289 V8. When I had my 60 Hamilton-built Hawk (#48 of 220, ISTR) only the Hawks that year were available with a 289 V8 from Hamilton, and all other V8 cars built there were 259 no exception, in spite of what you could order and get from South Bend if you were American. Were Canadian production Cruisers 63/64 also default 289, or were they 259?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                              So, 3,748 Cruisers in the US, less, I suppose, some that might have been made for export and never sold in the US. I quite believe Gary L would be correct in his supposition that all 63 & 64 Cruisers came with a V8, in spite of what the parts books might say. Now, another question I'll throw out. I "had understood" that all 63 and 64 Cruisers had a 289 V8. When I had my 60 Hamilton-built Hawk (#48 of 220, ISTR) only the Hawks that year were available with a 289 V8 from Hamilton, and all other V8 cars built there were 259 no exception, in spite of what you could order and get from South Bend if you were American. Were Canadian production Cruisers 63/64 also default 289, or were they 259?
                              For 1964 Y9 bodies, records show 1275 -- all automatics, all V8s. For 1963 Y8 bodies, records show 101 -- all automatics and all V8s.
                              This is for Canadian production only. They do not differentiate between the 259 and 289 engines although the records show hardtops, convertibles and station wagons separately, either with 259 or with 289.
                              Personal experience, I have not seen a Canadian Cruiser (63-64) with anything else BUT a 289, but who knows?

Comment

Working...
                              X