What's it worth? '62 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it worth? '62 Lark

Hi folks - I'm new here and have been looking through the forums over the past two weeks. I ran across a '62 Lark 2-dr sedan that the present owner is thinking about selling. I'm thinking about getting it as a project for my son and I to work on. It's a 6cyl, three-on-the-tree car with a radio and heater. For a car out of the northeast, it appears to be pretty solid but not without problems. A quick look turned up the following obvious problems: both front fenders rusted through at the bottom near the edge of the door; passenger door and quarter creased pretty bad (fixable); bumpers & grille pitted (not rusty); dash pad cracked; front seat ripped; headliner sagging; visor material falling off. The car hasn't run in 4 years, but I'm told that everything is OK, mechanically.

On the positive side, the car is complete, the trunk floor and walls are spotless, the floor and rockers are solid, all of the glass and window gaskets are good. Also, other than an aftermarket temp gauge bolted to the bottom of the dash, the car is unmolested. The car is light blue with a blue interior.

I'm not new to the old car hobby, just unfamiliar with Studebakers. Assuming it runs and everything works, what would something like this be worth? If I do wind up getting it, I'm sure I'll be checking back in often.

Thanks,
    Jim

Welcome to the forum, Jim! You've come to the right place. Hard to make any value judgement based on a verbal description, pictures would be a huge help. From other Larks I've seen in similar sounding condition, 2,000-2,500 seems about right. The guy thinking of selling would probably disagree. Russ Farris
    1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Welcome! I would say from your description maxpower is being pretty generous with the value of the car. While the 2 door is a plus neither the 6 nor the 3 speed (I am assuming no overdrive) is super desirable. The interior parts, while available, are not inexpensive. That said they are fun cars and parts are readily available for them. Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Russ - I was thinking somewhere below $3k, just wasn't real certain how desirable these cars are. I know the guy that owns it and I didn't realize he had it until I started talking about my '55 Chevy and he mentioned that he had a Studebaker. He told me that he paid $500 for it 4 years ago, stuck it in his garage and hadn't looked at it since. When he first started talking about it, he didn't remember if it was a 2 dr or 4 dr and told me he thought it was a '63 or '64. I had to move several boxes of stuff just to be able to see the car. He's not a car guy, doesn't know what to do with it, and told me he's thinking about selling it since he could use the space in his very small garage. He did say something about watching Barret/Jackson and "couldn't believe how much these old cars are selling for". I'll give him another week or so and see how serious he is and what kind of price he comes up with.

Jim

Comment

instead of looking at barrett-jackson, might want to look at ebay...

and welcome to the forum!
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I'd say $1000-1500. tops !

Comment

I'm gonna go with jackb here...Maybe it it was a hardtop, V8, or Daytona that could push it up into the 2k range. If the fenders are rusted through, the front floors can't be that far behind. The glass all being good is definitely a plus.

Comment

Here's the same car, same color and options- low low mileage and very clean- i know- i used to own it. I dare say you'd be further ahead to buy this one and drive it home than start fixing on one that is rough. Just my 2 cents- Evan

http://saskatchewan.kijiji.ca/c-cars...AdIdZ264736893
                Evan Davis
                Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. Evan - that's a nice looking car! One thing I was planning on doing before committing to it was getting it out of the garage and taking a good, thorough look at it for rust issues. I'll have to see what he wants for it - I'll start out by offering him what he has into it! If I wind up getting it, I'll check back in and post some pictures.

Jim

Comment

Dosen't sound like he has much attachment to it, so good to start off low. I have a virtually identical '62, that bought back in 1990, drove it that one summer and have been buying and gathering up parts for its restoration ever since.
                    I think I've already spent three times what I originally paid for it on parts alone. So when you look it over take into consideration everything that you know that you won't be satisfied with unless its replaced.
                    Last edited by Jessie J.; 03-15-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X