Studebaker - Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker - Avanti

I am a collector of car pictures and I use some of them on my web sites. I'm starting a new site on Studebaker pictures and I am wondering about the Studebaker and Avanti. I know up to a certain point the Avanti car was manufactured after Studebaker had sold out to a new company that would carry on making the Avanti. I am wondering when the new company actually stopped using the Studebaker name with the Avanti. Or is it safe to call all Avantis by the name Studebaker Avanti?

It would be reasonable to say that when Studebaker shut their South Bend Assembly facilities in Dec 1963 Avanti production was (or was going to be) ended. South Bend Dealers Nate Altman and Leo Newman purchased the rights to the Avanti and began producing the Avanti II.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

John is correct, the only "true" Studebaker Avanti's were produced in South Bend Indiana in 1962 and 1963. The model years were '63 & 1964.
      The latest "Avanti" is no longer in production, subject to resurrection.

Comment

True Studebaker stopped making the Avanti with the 64, I have said it before and I will say it again the Avanti's that Newman/Altman made in the original Avanti building were made by the same people that made the original Avanti other than using a GM engine and Transmission the car was every bid an Avanti, what they did was something no one else could do and because of that they did every body interested in Studebaker's and Avanti's has had a chance at owning one and they also save all the parts that were left over and made it possible for Studebaker's and Avanti's to be here today with such a following, to call an Newman/Altman Avanti and not use the Studebaker name along with it is a shame, my 67 is one of the best ones they built and I never call it anything other than a Studebaker Avanti built by Newman/Altman..I know so many people think their 63-64 are the cream of the crop and any thing else is just there but to each his or hers own and this is mine.

enjoy the picture .
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
          True Studebaker stopped making the Avanti with the 64, I have said it before and I will say it again the Avanti's that Newman/Altman made in the original Avanti building were made by the same people that made the original Avanti other than using a GM engine and Transmission the car was every bid an Avanti, what they did was something no one else could do and because of that they did every body interested in Studebaker's and Avanti's has had a chance at owning one and they also save all the parts that were left over and made it possible for Studebaker's and Avanti's to be here today with such a following, to call an Newman/Altman Avanti and not use the Studebaker name along with it is a shame, my 67 is one of the best ones they built and I never call it anything other than a Studebaker Avanti built by Newman/Altman..I know so many people think their 63-64 are the cream of the crop and any thing else is just there but to each his or hers own and this is mine.
          Well Bob, I guess we are a cult of two. 39 degrees in Michigan today and just had to put some miles on the Avanti and a few black marks on the road.

Bob

Comment

Just wish Nwman and Altman had kept the original Lowey rake and wheel openings, they add to the "mean" look of the car.

Comment

No matter who made them... or when... the Avanti is a truly unique car and I am proud to be able to own one (it is a 1963 R-1).
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer Avanti.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1699307

Comment

I'm aboard with this, I also have a 63 R1
                Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                No matter who made them... or when... the Avanti is a truly unique car and I am proud to be able to own one (it is a 1963 R-1).
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]45645[/ATTACH]
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

To directly answer your question, the "Avanti II's" and later "Avantis" built by Avanti Motor Co. were NEVER Studebakers, just Avantis built by Avanti Motors.

This is of course contrary to the incorrect "Studebaker" you always see attached to the 1966 and on Avanti eBay Ads.

All of the Altman Avantis were built in South Bend, IN using the same Chassis, Brakes, Transmission and Rear Axles as the Studebaker Avantis up to 1971.
                  Just the GM Corvette Engines were cleverly slipped in to replace the Studebaker Engines that were no longer available.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by jaymista View Post
                    I am a collector of car pictures and I use some of them on my web sites. I'm starting a new site on Studebaker pictures and I am wondering about the Studebaker and Avanti. I know up to a certain point the Avanti car was manufactured after Studebaker had sold out to a new company that would carry on making the Avanti. I am wondering when the new company actually stopped using the Studebaker name with the Avanti. Or is it safe to call all Avantis by the name Studebaker Avanti?
                    Welcome to the SDC Forum.
                    I will directly answer your question. The only Avantis that are Studebakers are the 1963 and 1964 model year Avantis. Starting with the 1965 Avantis, the Avantis were similar to the previous Studebaker Avantis, but were not manufactured by Studebaker who whose still manufacturing other cars.
                    There were non-Studebaker Avantis made from 1965 through 2007 with some years skipped. These should be called Avantis (without the Studebaker).
                    You often see non-Studebaker built Avantis listed as Studebaker for two reasons. 1) Some like to hang on to the impression that they are Studebakers even though they were not manufactured by Studebaker. 2) eBay used to have a category for Avantis. They dropped this for some unknown reason years ago. Now some people list their non-Studebaker Avanti in the Studebaker category, rather than put it in the general all others category.
                    I have owned both Studebaker built and post-Studebaker Avantis and do not have anything against either type.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've owned my '64 Avanti R1 for 50 years. I sold my '58 Corvette, 283 w/3-2s, 4 speed, both tops, red on red w/white cove for $950.00 so I could afford to buy my Avanti in 1965 for $2500.00. Great decision, right? Anyway, I have my Avanti stored in the barn for 26 years and it's time to get it out and drive it. When I push on the brake pedal it doesn't budge. The master cylinder was leaking so I removed it and am trying to locate a new or rebuilt one. Also probably need to replace the power booster and wheel cylinders. I have spent quite a bit of time on the internet trying to find these but have had no luck. Can someone recommend a source? Thanks. Don't dwell on that '58 Corvette, it has a good home. It sold a couple of years ago for $40,000.00 to a guy in California. This smile is hiding a lot of tears!

Comment

Studebaker International has what you need. Probably other parts vendors do as well. http://www.studebakervendors.com/
                        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                        50 Champion 2 door*
                        53 Commander K Auto*
                        53 Commander K overdrive*
                        55 President Speedster
                        62 GT 4Speed*
                        63 Avanti R1*
                        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

A good investment in the brakes would be to go to a dual master cylinder. Myers Studebaker has the kit for that and it is a perfect fit and they supply all but one part, which was at the local Car Quest for under $2.00 (a plug for the brake line Tee). I did mine a couple years ago.

Comment

Working...
                          X