The photo that started it all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The photo that started it all

Every once in a while I get asked "Chris, what got you into Studebakers?". I have been interested in them for so long that I almost forgot. I think it has to do with being from South Bend, but it also goes back to an old photo that I had previously lost. I remembered seeing a photo of just really old cars lined up in a building. I didn't know what they were, but I thought that photo was really cool. I was told that they were Studebakers inside the factory. From that point on, I was permentally interested in Studebakers. That was 14 years ago and I'm 17 now! I went to the archives not too long ago and found that photo completely by accident! I'm not really sure what's going on in the photo though. There is no assembly line in sight, some cars with no hood, etc.
    An interesting photo...
    Chris Dresbach

That may be the dynamometer room. There is another photo which was taken four or five years later showing cars in a similar condition and setting. They are all being run on dynos. Too bad this photo doesn't show the rear of the cars.

Terry

Comment

From the looks of the first three cars on the left- looks like it could be the Headlight Alignment Room!
      Evan Davis
      Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Does there seem to be fluid coming from under all of them?

Comment

Originally posted by 53commander View Post
          Does there seem to be fluid coming from under all of them?
          Maybe it's where they install the Studebaker factory oil leaks.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I see a combination of steel and artillery spoked wheels. It also seems like there is a protective cover on all the driver's side front fenders.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

One thing is for sure, it's not the dyno room. I know exactly where the dyno room was in the engineering building and the wondow line in the photo is physically too long to be it. They also never ran that many cars at the same time on a dyno. When I was working in the engineering building, I only counted two spots where an in floor dyno roller would have been. It has to be somewhere out in the plant, but where???
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

I believe this to be a secret underwater lab , As there are several mounted periscopes for workers to check for spys from other automakers sneaking around above . .

Comment

Gee, I thought my Stude was the only one that leaves a mark. (grin).
                  Seriously, I still fondly remember my dad's '39 Commander. He bought it when I was 2 years old. I remember those rides in the back seat going to visit relatives. It's amazing how I remember how quiet it was and how smooth the ride was. I wouldn't mind owning one just like Dad's.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I am no scholar...but from the looks of things either these cars look like they are in for damage related repairs or are getting ready to get 'recycled'. The reason I say this is because it looks like they all have front-end damage. It looks almost like the damage is similar from car to car--possibly damaged during shipping on a train possibly? The fender in the lower left corner definetly looks mangled. The fluid could be attributed to coolant leaking from the damaged radiators. My guess is some new models suffered an accident somehow on the way to a dealership or other destination and are awaiting repairs. Just a guess...

Comment

I think you figured it out.
                      Originally posted by tutone63 View Post
                      I am no scholar...but from the looks of things either these cars look like they are in for damage related repairs or are getting ready to get 'recycled'. The reason I say this is because it looks like they all have front-end damage. It looks almost like the damage is similar from car to car--possibly damaged during shipping on a train possibly? The fender in the lower left corner definetly looks mangled. The fluid could be attributed to coolant leaking from the damaged radiators. My guess is some new models suffered an accident somehow on the way to a dealership or other destination and are awaiting repairs. Just a guess...

Comment

Wow! when did flourescent lights come about?
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                          I believe this to be a secret underwater lab , As there are several mounted periscopes for workers to check for spys from other automakers sneaking around above . .

I think those Minnesnowta winters have caused some frostbite to the brain, get out in the sun more often
                          Mark Riesch
                          New Bern, NC

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                            Wow! when did flourescent lights come about?
                            The flourescent lamp was patented around 1907, but not used heavily until after the 1920's. It could be flourescent, but at the time, Mercury vapor lamps (which were deveoloped a little earlier) were used for industrial applications more so than the flourescent type. I would guess they are Mercury Vapor lights....but just a guess.

Comment

Maybe they're fancy heaters?

Originally posted by tutone63 View Post
                              The flourescent lamp was patented around 1907, but not used heavily until after the 1920's. It could be flourescent, but at the time, Mercury vapor lamps (which were deveoloped a little earlier) were used for industrial applications more so than the flourescent type. I would guess they are Mercury Vapor lights....but just a guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X