Turner Brake conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Turner Brake conversion

I did a Turner Brake conversion on my 62 GT and had a big problem...NO BRAKES.

Now, the rest of the story.

What I learned about Turner Brake conversion. READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS!

I had problems with the brakes not working right and just couldn't figure out the problem. I even called Jim Turner and asked for suggestions. I did all the things he suggested.

A neighbor of mine that has been working with me on this 62 ran into a fella at a yard sale that did the conversion on a Studebaker Truck and had the same problem. He told my neighbor to have me look at how I had installed the calipers. BINGO...I had the calipers installed on the wrong side and it caused air to be trapped in the calipers piston chamber and not get bled out.The bleeders need to be on the top to fill the chamber and bleed out the air. DUH!!!
    Two things...READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS first

Secondly...check your work and reread the instructions again if needed.

I will finish the caliper swap tomorrow and rebleed the brakes and hopefully on the road again. Wish me luck.

I hope someone learns from my frustrating mistake.

Sunday March 13, 2011
    Got the calipers reversed back to where they should be. Bled the front brakes and BINGO...I GOT BRAKES OUT THE YING YANG. Amazing what reading the instructions can do.
    Last edited by jcluvsu; 03-13-2011, 02:50 PM.

Hello: An old Air Force saying,When all else fails,"READ THE INSTRUCTIONS", Works every time. Art

Comment

Originally posted by VAG88 View Post
      Hello: An old Air Force saying,When all else fails,"READ THE INSTRUCTIONS", Works every time. Art
      I am former USAF and I remember that.

Comment

You had to have the book opened up and where you can read it and on the right page or get a $50 fine when I was in the USAF.

Comment

Tom, I learned that years ago,only it was on a Nissan.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks fir posting the tip. I will be installing my Turner kit in the next few weeks. Hopefully I can learn from your problem.
            Wayne
            "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

Originally posted by jcluvsu View Post
              I did a Turner Brake conversion on my 62 GT and had a big problem...NO BRAKES.

Now, the rest of the story.

What I learned about Turner Brake conversion. READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS!

I had problems with the brakes not working right and just couldn't figure out the problem. I even called Jim Turner and asked for suggestions. I did all the things he suggested.

A neighbor of mine that has been working with me on this 62 ran into a fella at a yard sale that did the conversion on a Studebaker Truck and had the same problem. He told my neighbor to have me look at how I had installed the calipers. BINGO...I had the calipers installed on the wrong side and it caused air to be trapped in the calipers piston chamber and not get bled out.The bleeders need to be on the top to fill the chamber and bleed out the air. DUH!!!
              Two things...READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS first

Secondly...check your work and reread the instructions again if needed.

I will finish the caliper swap tomorrow and rebleed the brakes and hopefully on the road again. Wish me luck.

I hope someone learns from my frustrating mistake.

Sunday March 13, 2011
              Got the calipers reversed back to where they should be. Bled the front brakes and BINGO...I GOT BRAKES OUT THE YING YANG. Amazing what reading the instructions can do.
              I got up the nerve today and took the Turismo down off the jack stands and backed out of the driveway. The car stopped when I applied the brakes when I was in reverse. GOOD THING!. Shifted to 1st gear and took off down the road. The next test was to stop at a stop sign...the Turismo passed with flying colors. Sooooooooooooooooooo I drove down the street and went to Chick Fillet for a sandwich.
              I'm back on the road and feel good about it...mistakes and all.

Comment

Might have worked if you were in Australia .........

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Having done the conversion recently, I would add that it's also a good idea to print out and read the articles on installing the brake package that are on Bob Johnstone's website. Be very sure that you have the new brakes bled completely. That cost me (my time plus two different paid mechanics) two weeks of trying to figure out why the passenger-side brake was dragging. The kit is very well thought out, and the brakes work very well.

Comment

Thanks Mike for injecting those wise words. This is what I really like about this forum. Guys that are more than glad to help with all kinds of wisdom.

I myself have learned so much here...THANKS YA'LL.

Comment

Switching over to disc brakes on my Lark, the rears just wouldn't bleed. Getting away from it for a day or two, I remembered an old trick. Put a little grease on the bleeder threads. Air was entering around the threads when the pedal was slowly released. Better timing by my helper at the rear would have prevented the problem.
                      Updated progress video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwZ4ll0t6Ek

Art
                      Last edited by Relark; 03-20-2011, 01:52 PM. Reason: Add progress video

Comment

Happened to me once on my old Javelin. Only the passenger side calipers were available. I had to turn the drivers side caliper upside down and put a block between the pads to bleed it. Then the trick was to get the caliper and pads back over the rotor without the four pistons coming out. It was a pain.
                        Jamie McLeod
                        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                        1958 Commander "Christine"
                        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                        1955 Commander Sedan
                        1964 Champ
                        1960 Lark

Comment

There's tools made just for spreading calipers. I bought mine 20+ years ago...through Mac Tools I believe, but they're much more widely available now...Pep Boys carries them and other retailers likely do as well. I don't believe they're expensive at all and even if you need them just once, they're worth it.
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                          X