This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Daytona

Does anyone have the production numbers(how many) on the 66 twice door Daytonas?
    The last 4 digits on mine are 2001. It has a 230ci GM six with automatic. I'm thanking you in advance.
    Kim

WELL Kim........ there were NO 6 cylinder Daytonas built - period. Only V8 Daytonas were made that last year. If you'd given the whole serial number, that might make it easier to identify what you've really got. V8 car serial numbers started with a C5 whereas 6Cyl car serial numbers started with a C1. While it would take a little bit of effort, it would be relatively easy to retrim a Commander 2-door to make it a Daytona. Conversly, it would be pretty easy to drop a 6Cyl. engine in where a V8 had once set. Maybe that's what someone did - their Thunderbolt V8 "went south" on them and the easiest thing to find was a Skybolt 6.

BTW, there were 620 Daytona Sports Sedans built for '66 and their serial numbers would have been lumped in with all the other V8 cars.
    Starting V8 serial number for 66 was C530001 - last V8 was C534654. For 6s it was C130001 for the first car that year - C134293 for the last one.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

WELL Kim........ there were NO 6 cylinder Daytonas built - period. Only V8 Daytonas were made that last year. If you'd given the whole serial number, that might make it easier to identify what you've really got. V8 car serial numbers started with a C5 whereas 6Cyl car serial numbers started with a C1. While it would take a little bit of effort, it would be relatively easy to retrim a Commander 2-door to make it a Daytona. Conversly, it would be pretty easy to drop a 6Cyl. engine in where a V8 had once set. Maybe that's what someone did - their Thunderbolt V8 "went south" on them and the easiest thing to find was a Skybolt 6.

BTW, there were 620 Daytona Sports Sedans built for '66 and their serial numbers would have been lumped in with all the other V8 cars.
      Starting V8 serial number for 66 was C530001 - last V8 was C534654. For 6s it was C130001 for the first car that year - C134293 for the last one.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi Mr. Biggs,
        Serial # for said Daytona is:C132001.
        It has 230 badges on each front fender,and and has Dayton script,rear panel trim, below decklid, with reclining bench seat,and fold down rear armrest and is a 51 k mile original car. Some one in past kept service record on it since new. No mention of an engine swap, but who knows? Not gonna take much to bring it back. Runs good,shifts good,minor rust in rockers, brakes need overhaul. Has the factory rust in the front fenders and alittle in one rocker. Also has a little factory rust at the bottom of front door posts. I've acquired NOS fenders, that'll fix that rust! Gonna fix this car for my little girl,so even if it came with an 8,I gonna keep da six in it. Thanks for your reply.
        Kim

Comment

Hi Mr. Biggs,
          Serial # for said Daytona is:C132001.
          It has 230 badges on each front fender,and and has Dayton script,rear panel trim, below decklid, with reclining bench seat,and fold down rear armrest and is a 51 k mile original car. Some one in past kept service record on it since new. No mention of an engine swap, but who knows? Not gonna take much to bring it back. Runs good,shifts good,minor rust in rockers, brakes need overhaul. Has the factory rust in the front fenders and alittle in one rocker. Also has a little factory rust at the bottom of front door posts. I've acquired NOS fenders, that'll fix that rust! Gonna fix this car for my little girl,so even if it came with an 8,I gonna keep da six in it. Thanks for your reply.
          Kim

Comment

Well, that number says it was a 6 to start with. I referenced Fred Fox's feature article on the 66 cars. It's in the October, '86 edition of Turning Wheels. The account of numbers of cars built shows only Commander 2-doors built with 6s - no Daytonas. But hey - it doesn't really matter if you like the car! That 230's pretty zippy as it is.[]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Well, that number says it was a 6 to start with. I referenced Fred Fox's feature article on the 66 cars. It's in the October, '86 edition of Turning Wheels. The account of numbers of cars built shows only Commander 2-doors built with 6s - no Daytonas. But hey - it doesn't really matter if you like the car! That 230's pretty zippy as it is.[]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Au contraire, Mr. Biggs, you could indeed get a six in a 1966 Daytona, new! I've seen them at SDC meets, plus I checked Fred Fox's October 1986 Turning Wheels feature article on 1966 Studes. Matter of fact, you could also get a six-cylinder Cruiser as well.

Either way, a '66 Daytona in my opinion is an attractive automobile, and even though not truly Studebaker-powered, it's a rare and desirable model Stude.

One thing I always thought looked neat on some '66's, is the air extractor vents above the taillights being chromed, but I guess this only started happening on production during and after January '66. Kim, does yours have these or are they painted?

Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Au contraire, Mr. Biggs, you could indeed get a six in a 1966 Daytona, new! I've seen them at SDC meets, plus I checked Fred Fox's October 1986 Turning Wheels feature article on 1966 Studes. Matter of fact, you could also get a six-cylinder Cruiser as well.

Either way, a '66 Daytona in my opinion is an attractive automobile, and even though not truly Studebaker-powered, it's a rare and desirable model Stude.

One thing I always thought looked neat on some '66's, is the air extractor vents above the taillights being chromed, but I guess this only started happening on production during and after January '66. Kim, does yours have these or are they painted?

Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

BTW, Fred's excellent-as-usual article on the '66's shows only 253 six-cylinder Daytona Sports Sedans built!! Geez...rarer than an R2 Avanti! I know, I know, it's still a six though!

Nice cars anyway!

Bill Pressler
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

BTW, Fred's excellent-as-usual article on the '66's shows only 253 six-cylinder Daytona Sports Sedans built!! Geez...rarer than an R2 Avanti! I know, I know, it's still a six though!

Nice cars anyway!

Bill Pressler
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Kim, you state your car has reclining bench seats. Fred's article also states that bucket seats and console, although optional, were included on all Daytonas unless ordered otherwise. Another neat unusual thing about your car...it basically has the interior of a Cruiser but with two doors! Is it cloth or all-vinyl inside?

Bill Pressler
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Kim, you state your car has reclining bench seats. Fred's article also states that bucket seats and console, although optional, were included on all Daytonas unless ordered otherwise. Another neat unusual thing about your car...it basically has the interior of a Cruiser but with two doors! Is it cloth or all-vinyl inside?

Bill Pressler
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Well, Bill, Kim, I'm not infallible. I've got egg on my face over this and it's only because I CAN'T read! Sheesh!
                            Actually, my gut told me that this SHOULD be an option, but my brief, TOO BRIEF, scan of the lineup on page 14 played tricks on me.[xx(] And I looked TWICE![V] Hey, ya gotta say somethin' to be able to be wrong. I'd rather take my chances than just be a lurker.
                            Once upon a time, I briefly owned a 66 Daytona. It had come with the V8 but the whole driveline was gone when I got the car.
                            ROADRACE, have you any recollection of where that car got to? I think you were in on that deal when I sold it.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President 2-dr
                            1955 President State
                            1951 Champion Biz cpe
                            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Well, Bill, Kim, I'm not infallible. I've got egg on my face over this and it's only because I CAN'T read! Sheesh!
                              Actually, my gut told me that this SHOULD be an option, but my brief, TOO BRIEF, scan of the lineup on page 14 played tricks on me.[xx(] And I looked TWICE![V] Hey, ya gotta say somethin' to be able to be wrong. I'd rather take my chances than just be a lurker.
                              Once upon a time, I briefly owned a 66 Daytona. It had come with the V8 but the whole driveline was gone when I got the car.
                              ROADRACE, have you any recollection of where that car got to? I think you were in on that deal when I sold it.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
                              X