Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice 1934 Stude Truck

Haven't seen one these,,,nice 1934 Studebaker Truck,,,

I wonder if that started life as a truck? I am not a prewar Studebaker expert, but the back of the cab has a lot of curve for a truck. In any case, it makes a stylish truck and I would love to have it.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Fairly common thing to do in those days was to cut off the back of the sedan behind the rear door and then cut out behind the front door.
      Put it back together without the middle part, but leave the frame alone.
      A lot of Cadillac's and big cars were turned into early tow truck/wreckers that way.
      This one sure looks like that was done.
      Makes you wonder about his 'all original' statements, though...
      Jeff
      PS: I like the lines of the rig, though...

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
      Haven't seen one these,,,nice 1934 Studebaker Truck,,,
      [/url]
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

as an "original" owner, it seems sometimes you can only go by what prev. owners say...

the truck does look nice, though...
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Yes, it's what we called a "cut-down."

No, there probably isn't room in that cab for we taller guys. I love the early trucks and especially the Coupe Express. However, they are all too small for me. The C-cab is cramped, but anything before that is impossible.

Maybe, it is worth the BIN, but not without an inspection. I've seen some which were so professionally put together most would swear it came from the factory. Others looked like the halves were cut apart with an axe and joined with chewing gum.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Considering what it would cost to make something out of this truck, I think that price is way more than I would be willing to pay for it.
            Fred

sigpic

Comment

I don't think this is a cut down car. It looks way too good to be a cut down. Studebaker did make limited numbers of trucks like this for use by Studebaker dealers. There was a thread recently on the ASC forum about an Erskine pickup being used by a Studebaker dealer which was made by Studebaker for them.

Terry

Comment

The smallest truck that Studebaker actually listed in their 1934 catalog was the 1.5-ton model T2. However, the previous 1930-33 S-series trucks were assembled until February 1934, and included a model S-1, which was built on the Dictator passenger car chassis. It's not implausible that it's really a 33 that was titled as a 34.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

It is a '32 passenger car converted to a truck. I did a feature on this vehicle in the Antique Studebaker Review for Nov/Dec 2006. At the time a previous owner was looking to find it as he had sellers remorse and wanted to see if he could buy it back. I have just left a message for him and told him it was on Ebay. Incidentally it was originally a 1932 Studebaker Six model 55.
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

just talked to the owner and he sent me some pics. Also vin # 5121848 comon guys decifer away. Also he siad the was NO cowl tag would there have been one in the early 30's im not sure.
                    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Hey Richard conversion yes but when? could it have been converted at the factory, or dealership? If it was a special order wouldnt it still have model six 55 vin info?
                      John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Originally posted by 289stude View Post
                        just talked to the owner and he sent me some pics. Also vin # 5121848 comon guys decifer away. Also he siad the was NO cowl tag would there have been one in the early 30's im not sure.
                        Well, the VIN (which I already had) is for a '32 Model 55 Six. As far as when the conversion was done that is anyone's guess. The previous owner relates what he learned from the person he got it from and that is included in the aforementioned article but, of course, that is heresay. If anyone wants to read the two page article I have it scanned so just contact me with your email address. I would say the liklihood that this is a factory convrsion is near zero.
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

Here are two photos sent to me by the previous owner when it was in everyday service. He owned it from 1991 - 1997 and drove it daily to work.
                          Richard Quinn

Comment

I've a uncle (my Mom's sister's husband) who talked about how his Dad made a pickup or truck out of a '31 Studebaker President. Dunno when that was but probably in the 40s. From the stories he told, the Dad did that to more than 1 old car bought cheaply in rural Wisconisin where he was from. My own grandpa had a model A that was turned into a pickup in the early 50s they used on the farm until about 1958. I've a picture of it and it was definately not a "body shop grade" job!

Jeff in ND

Comment

If it were mine, I would fabricate an all metal bed complete with tailgate.

The fun part would be having it at an event just to hear the inevitable blowhard that shows up declaring that his grandpa had one just like it!
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X