M15A - rear brake drum puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: M15A - rear brake drum puller

I have read where they say I need a "special" drum puller. I made one for the front drums. Does any one have a picture of what if looks like? Or other options! The shop manual doesn't say any thing about a rear puller.

Ther out there. don't use one that the fingers pull on the edge of the drum

Comment

Click on advanced search and follow the instructions. Probably has all the info you need to solve your problem.

Comment

What You are looking for is actually a Hub/Drum puller !
        1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
        Lewisville,NC

Comment

What they are trying to say, You need a Hub Puller, pull the hub, the drum comes along at no charge.

Comment

The reason the shop manual doesn't mention needing a special puller is that nearly all cars needed this puller in those days -- every gas station had one. SI and Snap-On still sell them, and they come up used on ebay all the time. Most have three heavy fingers that are attached to three lugs with the original lug nuts. You then pound on a barbell-shaped handle with a BFH, which pushes on the end of the axle to pull the drum and hub off as a unit. Only by pulling on the lugs can you avoid damaging the brake drum. As noted, there are lengthy explanations of this puller and its use available through the search functiion.

I suspect some of our best mechanical minds get tired of answering the same questions all the time, which is why you've been referred to the search function.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Unless I'm missing something, my last recollection of the M15 is, it's a 1 Ton truck and would have originally come with a "full-floating" rear axle assembly. Unless someone has changed it, by removing the 8 bolts that hold the end of the axle to the brake drum hub, slide the axle out of the tube, then remove the LARGE retaining nut, washer, and another nut. Having done that, the hub/drum assembly should slide right off of the axle tube. I hope this helps. OBTW, a shop manual and parts manual sure comes in handy.

Dan Miller
              Auburn, GA

Comment

I guess I should just scrap this old rear end and put in something new!

Comment

Jeff,

Check your PM. Those rear axle assemblies are indestructable with the original engine and transmission combo. One flaw is don't count on running over 40-45MPH with that gear ratio. Those trucks were made hard/heavy work at low speeds. If you want something to cruise the freeways, you'll need a complete late model drive train. I had one just like it decades ago. Good luck with your project...don't get discouraged.

Dan Miller
                  Auburn, GA

Comment

Working...
                  X