PDA

View Full Version : Photo needed of the correct battery location in a '40 Champion

Chris_Dresbach
03-03-2011, 04:06 PM
On Wednesday, the gremlins in my '40s electrical system were in full force...
I went to start my car and got the infamous clicking coming from the (non stock) starter solenoid. It wouldn’t start and the clicking indicated that there is no good ground, thus no start. An old owner moved the battery into the trunk and while they did that, used the cheapest wires around and there is only a good ground about half of the time… :eek:
Basically I got mad at it and decided now is the time to start working on it and COMPLETELY take out all of the starter wires (and probably several others) and rewire it the CORRECT way according to the MANUAL!!! (that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it! ;) ) I want to start by putting the battery and solenoid back under the hood where it belongs. Right now there is just a piece of sheet metal covering up the battery box and I don’t know what’s under it. Does anybody have a photo of under the hood on a ’40 that shows how the battery is supposed to be mounted? The manual has a photo, but it’s not that good of one. This is also a perfect excuse to weld in a new trunk floor!

mbstude
03-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Ahhh.. The ole Slippery Slope..

What started out as swapping on a new hood on my '59 truck, snowballed into a full restoration. Upgraded to a V8, bought a better cab and doors, front end rebuild, and on and on.. Now that the '58 Commander is almost running again and the Stainless Biz is established, the truck will finally come home and work will start back on it.

Just be forewarned. :)

And good on you for wanting to do things right.

Studebaker Wheel
03-03-2011, 04:35 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/39champengcomptforum.jpg?t=1299191500

This should do it. This happens to be a '39 but under the hood it is identical to the '40. If you note the ground is to the firewall. I can tell you from experience that it is not good. For a non-show car I would strongly recommend you ground it to the block or cylinder head.

Chris_Dresbach
03-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Thank you very much!

fargoguy
03-03-2011, 06:01 PM
You know, i thought i knew quite a bit about automobiles, but i've never heard of a blcok? :)

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/39champengcomptforum.jpg?t=1299191500

This should do it. This happens to be a '39 but under the hood it is identical to the '40. If you note the ground is to the firewall. I can tell you from experience that it is not good. For a non-show car I would strongly recommend you ground it to the blcok.

StudeRich
03-03-2011, 06:05 PM
I have to say the '40's have to be from the "advanced thinking at Studebaker Corp." as I believe most other Cars of the Day had that crazy "Battery under the FLOORBOARD" thing going on! :(

I remember my Dad's '53 Chev. Pickup still had that under the floor Battery with a Mechanical Pedal coming out of the floor, to the Right of the Gas Pedal, that directly engaged the Starter! :(

And my Uncle's '56 Buick still had one of those Ancient old VACUUM Windshield Wipers! :(

rockne10
03-03-2011, 07:22 PM
And my Uncle's '56 Buick still had one of those Ancient old VACUUM Windshield Wipers! :(My '57 Cadillac still had vacuum wipers, crank windows and no radio!

Corvanti
03-03-2011, 08:01 PM
here's mine...
haven't got to much clean-up yet...

rockne10
03-03-2011, 09:30 PM
For a non-show car I would strongly recommend you ground it to the block or cylinder head.
Kerry,
The original ground strap in Richard's picture looks more appropriate than the cable in yours. Per his suggestion, I would add an additional ground cable in an unobtrusive spot from the lower firewall to the block. That would keep it looking original and provide additional security.

Milaca
03-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Chris, any chance you can build a new battery box in you school's shop class? I recall my high school shop class having a metal brake, a shear, a spot welder, MIG and TIG welder, etc.

Corvanti
03-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Kerry,
The original ground strap in Richard's picture looks more appropriate than the cable in yours. Per his suggestion, I would add an additional ground cable in an unobtrusive spot from the lower firewall to the block. That would keep it looking original and provide additional security.

yeah, i noticed that when i saw the pic. i'll have to find the "correct" neg. cable on my supposedly "correct already" car... :rolleyes:

will definitely do the back up ground also... done that way too many times already w/fiberglass corvettes and the avanti ...

8E45E
03-04-2011, 08:13 AM
My '57 Cadillac still had vacuum wipers, crank windows and no radio!

IIRC, the 1956 Continental Mark II also had vaccuum wipers. A prime case of Henry being 'cheap'; even on a $10K car, which was the most expensive US-built car when it came out.

Craig

ddub
03-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Had a 57 Lincoln with an under the floor battery. It took a contortionist on steroids to replace it.

Chris_Dresbach
03-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Chris, any chance you can build a new battery box in you school's shop class? I recall my high school shop class having a metal brake, a shear, a spot welder, MIG and TIG welder, etc.

Not a chance. :( My school got rid of auto and metal shop with "budget cuts" a couple years ago. All they offer now is wood shop. I take wood shop now basically just for fun but it's just not auto shop...