PDA

View Full Version : Could Be a Historic Find

paintim613
03-02-2011, 10:21 PM
My resto guy received a call today from a man who recently purchased a pretty rough one owner '53 Commander in southern CA. Original owner says the car has sat for 40 years. What is very interesting is that the car has a continental kit that paperwork indicates was installed by George Barris. I have not seen pictures yet so do not know if any other custom work was done by Barris. The new owner says the car has no missing parts and he believes it has only 800 miles on it. New owner called my resto guy because he googled '53 Commander with continental kit and his website popped up because our car fits the description.

Will update when I have more complete and definite info.

Chris Pile
03-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Cool. We'll be waiting......

mbstude
03-02-2011, 11:00 PM
I got a call from this guy today.. Here's the pic.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/conne.jpg

kurtruk
03-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Is that what they call rough??????

JDP
03-02-2011, 11:07 PM
My resto guy received a call today from a man who recently purchased a pretty rough one owner '53 Commander in southern CA. Original owner says the car has sat for 40 years. What is very interesting is that the car has a continental kit that paperwork indicates was installed by George Barris. I have not seen pictures yet so do not know if any other custom work was done by Barris. The new owner says the car has no missing parts and he believes it has only 800 miles on it. New owner called my resto guy because he googled '53 Commander with continental kit and his website popped up because our car fits the description.

Will update when I have more complete and definite info.

Google is a wonderful thing. If you Google 1964 Studebaker R2 GT Hawk my old GT (Sid) is the first hit. I do enjoy the comments from guys that like the car. My favorite is "mashed freakin pataters " I think that was a compliment, but can't be sure. :) Worse still is when I'm trying get a answer to a question and get it from myself on a post from 5 years ago when I Google it.

JDP
03-02-2011, 11:10 PM
I got a call from this guy today.. Here's the pic.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/conne.jpg

Nice job of blending in the fender extentions. I alway wondered if they used the sedan taillights for the shorter fender tips.

StudeRich
03-02-2011, 11:55 PM
That would take a Custom Body Shop at least, to do a fender extension like that and all the special metal behind the bumper, it sure is not your average "BOLT-ON" Continental Kit! Could be a Barris.

I wonder what the Nameplate says?

Anne F. Goodman
03-03-2011, 01:15 AM
All I can say is OMG OMG

gearhead49
03-03-2011, 05:01 AM
Tastefully done like Barris would do in the day. One of the finest continetal kits Ihave seen.
Lets see more pics.
We love pics!!!!!!

Chris Pile
03-03-2011, 06:03 AM
Slick mo-sheen.

bezhawk
03-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Seen on like it before at a zone meet in Waxahatchie Texas.....maybe around 1975.

showbizkid
03-03-2011, 08:47 AM
While I am not a fan of C-Kits in general, this certainly is a fine job and would fit the era in which it was done. Nice find!

52-fan
03-03-2011, 08:57 AM
While I am not a fan of C-Kits in general, this certainly is a fine job and would fit the era in which it was done. Nice find!

Ditto. Contiental kits were big stuff at one time and this looks like a quality install, but the C-K cars look out of balance with a big back porch.

JDP
03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Tastefully done like Barris would do in the day. One of the finest continetal kits Ihave seen.
Lets see more pics.
We love pics!!!!!!

Just to be clear, it was available as a kit with the fender extensions. If Barris did the kit, he did a great job on it, but it's not scratch fabrication. I sold a used kit at Reedsville years ago, but I forgot where I found it.

Studeguru
03-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Not my cup of tea.

Bob Bryant
03-03-2011, 11:06 AM
In Kendallville, IN there was an employee of Publix Studebaker that drove a Commander with continental kit and fender extensions. i did not know there was kit supplying the extensions, also.

Warren Webb
03-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Is that jack there to support the extra weight? The wheel cover is on sideways. JUST JOKING!! Looks like a great job & would be especially nice from the historic point if it was done by Barris. Even if one doesnt like it, you have to admire the craftsmanship. I'd like to know how the top quarter moulding was made longer.

mbstude
03-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Here's another angle.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/conne2.jpg

You can see how another fender-top stainless molding was cut up and added on to the front of the existing piece of stainless. No welding done.

The owner has no clue what he has, and I'm glad he's contacting those within the SDC. He got my number out of Turning Wheels. At first I thought it was someone playing a joke as the conversation went something along the lines of "Hi, I just purchased this '53 Commander with a continental kit on the back. It needs some work but it's all there. Oh and I found a tag with the name George Barris written on it.. Any idea who he is?" :)

JBOYLE
03-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Having read a good bit on Barris' early days...he'd install mod kits for people, or do a custom job.

I know he installed a "Birds Nest" 55-57 T-Bird rumble seat kit for an actress. And as late as the 60s, he made various kits and would install them.

skyway
03-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Although not for me, I have seen one of these in the flesh.

When smoothed in like this one, in profile I think it really accentuates the length and low roof line of the factory car.

avantilover
03-04-2011, 12:38 AM
That's pretty, perhaps one of the Aussie guys will bring it down here, certainly a unique item.

Deaf Mute
03-04-2011, 08:37 AM
The kits, that I have seen photos of, really looked bad as the fender extensions just bolted on and left a bad looking seam... even from 20 feet. Welded & leaded it looks kinda neat. No more room in my garage though!

bob40
03-04-2011, 08:45 AM
I like it.

Andy R.
03-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Seems even Barris had to pay the bills. Looks like an eel.

Though I do wonder what that tail would do for speed trials with the tire replaced with a wing between the fender edges.

PackardV8
03-04-2011, 12:23 PM
That's pretty, perhaps one of the Aussie guys will bring it down here, certainly a unique item.

That would be far enough away; take it please!. Beauty, style, taste are in the eye of the beholder. JMHO, but that is a thumb in the eye.

Can't blame Barris for most of his creations. He would build whatever the customer wanted. I'm the second owner an Avanti he modified on directions from Lowey and the original owner. After living with it for several years, I can't say it is an improvement, but it is different.

jack vines

Jack
03-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Without being too negative here. WHY? It's hard to beat the original.

rockinhawk
03-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Remember this old joke? "Why does George Barris hate horses? They are the only form of transportation he can't customize! NT

Sam Ensley
03-06-2011, 02:08 PM
This is a picture of a 1953 custom that my wife kept me from buying at South Bend a few years ago. It was reportedly built by the Shrock Brothers in 1959, based on the Thunderbird. Check out the continental kit. I'm still mad at my wife.

paintim613
03-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I still have not seen a continental kit on a Stude like the one installed by my wife's father and uncle in the late 50's. Note how the spare tire doesn't protrude below the rear deck. It looks like it is the same used by Baby Birds except those were wrapped around by the rear bumper.

We showed our car for the first time yesterday (3/5) and today. The number of people who wanted details on the car kept me from seeing hardly any of the 950+ cars at the show here in Yuma. We displayed a '53 Starliner model to show what the car looked like before custom work though our car was a Starlight. Quite a few people now know more about '53 Studes. http://www.jimsrodshop.net/31.html