PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Air Gen II Mini Mockup Unit

scott.rodgers
02-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I posted previously on various threads about mounting a Vintage Air Compac unit behind the dash of my modified 66 Daytona Sport Sedan. I've finally decided that the unit doesn't fit as well as I'd like - the transmission tunnel and the firewall have both been extensively modified on my car and the under dash space is very tight, especially in the middle.

I'm going to try to go to a different Vintage Air evaporator - the Gen II Mini (The other unit will now go back for another project car that I "stole" it from). Instead of ordering one, I'm ordering the mockup unit instead to see if it will work. After I'm done with it, I may make it available for forum members to use to see if this kind of unit would fit their cars. Are any forum members interested in this?

ronhusak
02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Scott..
You bet.. I am actually planning the install of the "Mini" in my r2 Avanti.. Looked at the mock up unit and thought "Damned" that wouls be nice to have and not nearly as hard to handle as the real unit"!
Any idea of your time table?
Ron Husak
Conifer, CO
63 R2 Avanti

I posted previously on various threads about mounting a Vintage Air Compac unit behind the dash of my modified 66 Daytona Sport Sedan. I've finally decided that the unit doesn't fit as well as I'd like - the transmission tunnel and the firewall have both been extensively modified on my car and the under dash space is very tight, especially in the middle.

I'm going to try to go to a different Vintage Air evaporator - the Gen II Mini (The other unit will now go back for another project car that I "stole" it from). Instead of ordering one, I'm ordering the mockup unit instead to see if it will work. After I'm done with it, I may make it available for forum members to use to see if this kind of unit would fit their cars. Are any forum members interested in this?

scott.rodgers
02-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Ron - I just got the last one off of Amazon. It will get to me by the 11th of March. I'll probably be done with it by the begining of April.

ronhusak
02-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Scott..
Is there an advantage to buying that off of Amazon? Are you buying the components there too? I was talking directly with the folks at Nostalgic..
April will be perfect for my needs.. Just let me know what you need me to do..
Ron Husak
rhusak at compuserve dot com

Ron - I just got the last one off of Amazon. It will get to me by the 11th of March. I'll probably be done with it by the begining of April.

scott.rodgers
02-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Ron,

I bought the mockup off of Amazon because I could get free shipping there - I was planning on getting the actual unit off of another site like Summit, etc.

Pat Dilling
02-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Just FYI for those in need of a mock up unit in the future. Many authorized Vintage Air dealers have the mock up units that they will loan. I got mine from American Pastimes in the Sacramento area. Essentially I bought it from them, but they did not submit my credit card invoice, I was able to keep it for 7-10 days and when I brought it back they gave me the credit card receipt back. Of course I then bought the parts I needed from them, but their price was competitive. They were also helpful when I needed an extra vent, I called, they sent it to me. I might have saved a few dollars buying on-line, but I would not have had the service and convenience. Plus it saved me the cost of the mock up unit. It's good to buy local sometimes when you can.

Pat

scott.rodgers
02-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Pat-

Really good points and I think most people should go your route if they can.

I was going to try something similar, but I figured I could use the mockup again in the future, so I ignored my innermost CASO instincts and bought the thing. I figure if it works in my most difficult project, it should be perfect for all future projects too.

johnod
02-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Yes I'd be very interested , please let me know.

4961Studebaker
03-01-2011, 08:21 AM
As Pat said, Most dealers will give you a loaner......for a deposit.....essentially covering the cost of the mock up unit. give or take a $100.

I thought I had mentioned in the past that the "compact" would be too big......if I didn't my appologies, you'll have a little more success with the "mini" it's more square. I need to post some pictures of my unit, but it doesn't really help anyone wanting to locate it in a stock firewall position.

Maybe I can put it in that "area" for picture purposes.

Have fun with the mock up unit, they're pretty lite.
Toss one to an unsuspecting friend, and laugh. Yeah it's sophomoreic but funny none the less. Only live once.

scott.rodgers
03-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Ron and John - FYI -

I'm actually getting the unit today (according to UPS), so I'll be test fitting it this weekend. I'll let you know when I'm done with the unit and ready to send it out.

ronhusak
03-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Scott..
I haven't picked my car up yet... So if John has an immediate need let hm have it first.. But wll need it in the mid to late April time frame.. OK..
I really appr3eciate it..
Ron Husak
Conifer, CO

Ron and John - FYI -

I'm actually getting the unit today (according to UPS), so I'll be test fitting it this weekend. I'll let you know when I'm done with the unit and ready to send it out.

johnod
03-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Sounds good, whenever you're ready is good for me.

John

scott.rodgers
03-05-2011, 01:27 PM
It's going to fit, but it's tight!

scott.rodgers
03-05-2011, 01:31 PM
John, I'll send the unit to you in a couple of weeks and then you can send it on to Ron...

johnod
03-05-2011, 02:21 PM
John, I'll send the unit to you in a couple of weeks and then you can send it on to Ron...

Ok Scott, sounds good.
Don't rush yourself on my account.
Glad to hear it fits, nice when things work out.
Any chance of a picture?

Thanks

John

scott.rodgers
03-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Here's some pictures of the unit behind the temporarily reinstalled dash. I will mount the unit as high as I can without restricting the outlet hoses too much. The unit will still hung below the dash somewhat, but not as low as it looks in the pictures.

johnod
03-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Here's some pictures of the unit behind the temporarily reinstalled dash. I will mount the unit as high as I can without restricting the outlet hoses too much. The unit will still hung below the dash somewhat, but not as low as it looks in the pictures.

Thanks Scott looks good there. Is that the glove box hinge in the pic?

scott.rodgers
03-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Yes - that's the glove box door hinge.

As you can probably tell, I'm going to have to come up with a highly modified glove box liner when all is said and done...

johnod
03-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Yes - that's the glove box door hinge.

As you can probably tell, I'm going to have to come up with a highly modified glove box liner when all is said and done...

Hell I see you're in CA, you don't need no stinkin gloves.

4961Studebaker
03-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Now I realize this really helps very few people, but I did say I'd post some photo's.
Now maybe just maybe if a 59/60 Lark with a deleted radio wanted to mount an ACin this location it might work?......One would have to look at the wiper arms.
Bonus, the E-brake handle can still be used.

This IS a V A Gen II Compact, Scott has the Mini, main differences is the line locations and the squirrel cage orientation.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_7480.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_7482.jpg

Car show view, (stick your head in the window.)
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_7485.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_7484.jpg

If you just knelt down with the door open.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_7488.jpg

I'll loose some glove box, if I choose to even have one.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_7496.jpg

Internal view (camera too big) wiper valley cut out for more room.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_7498.jpg

Scott, You should enjoy that unit, with all that Dynamat I see, and from what others have told me, the mini should keep your interior quite cold.

scott.rodgers
03-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Chopstu-

The firewall and trans tunnel alterations sure make it a challenge to have ac! What's funny is the Compac and the Mini are almost the same dimensions - the Mini gives just enough extra for my situation though. What also helps is the Mini's blower is horizontal. That gives extra clearance below that cowl joint behind the dash which intrudes over an inch into the under dash area.

4961Studebaker
03-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Chopstu-

The firewall and trans tunnel alterations sure make it a challenge to have ac! What's funny is the Compac and the Mini are almost the same dimensions - the Mini gives just enough extra for my situation though. What also helps is the Mini's blower is horizontal. That gives extra clearance below that cowl joint behind the dash which intrudes over an inch into the under dash area.

Exactly, if I had a more stock situation the MINI's blower position is more ideal, and the lines come in behind/top of the unit thus hiding them more.
Where we lark owners would like to put the unit.....(glove box area) the passenger gets all the FOOT heat and cool :mad: So Plumb accordingly if you have a HOT FOOT :p:cool:

johnod
03-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Scott I was wondering did Vintage say anything about the mini's ability to cool the car?