Studebaker features gone modern - VW Passat with NoRol and Startix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker features gone modern - VW Passat with NoRol and Startix

We just got back from 10 days in England, enjoyed renting a VW Passat station wagon with 1.6 liter turbo diesel and 6-speed manual transmission with "BlueMotion". I couldn't find the parking brake handle when we picked it up - it turns out that it has the equivalent of the old Studebaker "NoRol" system in an electronically enhanced version. In Auto mode, it will hold the car on a hill until you release the clutch pedal. The Auto mode could be turned off with the push of a button. To set the brake for parking, lift on a small lever on the console; push it to release the parking brake. The car never rolled away during the night, so I guess it works.

The car also had a new version of Startix, but even slicker. This one also includes "Stopix"! When you stop at a light, shift to neutral, and let the clutch pedal up, the engine stops to save fuel. Step on the clutch, shift into 1st and the engine always started right up. A little unnerving at first, especially in heavy trafiic, but it never failed. And, when I did stall the car, the engine immediately restarted automatically. Just like the old Startix.

While a 1.6 liter turbo diesel isn't quick (about 11.5 sec 0-60 mph), we had no problems cruising quietly at 70-80 mph on the motorways without diesel clatter noises. I didn't baby it and still got over 38 mpg with 4 people and luggage on board. Good thing, because the diesel fuel cost $8.39 a gallon! VW claims 50 mpg (US gallon) for the rating, even turned in 75 mpg in an "Economy Run" test. I think I have seen future of automobiles while reliving the past.

Driving the small roads in Devon in southwest England can be a challenge. As you can see, my granddaughter and nephew could almost touch the hedgerows on the sides. There are many miles of single-lane roads where you can drive 40 mph - but there might be someone coming the other way around a corner or over a hill, so caution is advised. Driving on the "wrong" side of the road doesn't help reactions, either.

We drove through the Safari Park at Longleat House one day. In the monkey area, small monkeys climbed all over the cars as we drove through slowly. Before entering this area, signs warn that the monkeys WILL harm your car if you have loose trim, antennas, etc. The monkeys did climb all over the cars, grabbing and twisting at everything. One monkey grabbed a ball from the top of one antenna and chewed it to pieces. Our car had monkey footprints all over the hood, roof, and rear bumper afterwards. In other sections of the park, we drove through herds of lions, tigers, camels, antelope, wolves, and rhinos. Signs say DO NOT get out of your car and to keep the windows up in most areas. The different sections are separated by high fences and dual motorized gates. One keeper was herding a couple of rhinos with a farm tractor having armor plating on the front. Nothing charged our car while we were there.

When not driving, I did manage to have a few pints at some fine pubs. The Brits know how to make beer and ale!
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Originally posted by garyash View Post
    We just got back from 10 days in England, enjoyed renting a VW Passat station wagon with 1.6 liter turbo diesel and 6-speed manual transmission with "BlueMotion". I couldn't find the parking brake handle when we picked it up - it turns out that it has the equivalent of the old Studebaker "NoRol" system in an electronically enhanced version. In Auto mode, it will hold the car on a hill until you release the clutch pedal. The Auto mode could be turned off with the push of a button. To set the brake for parking, lift on a small lever on the console; push it to release the parking brake. The car never rolled away during the night, so I guess it works.

The car also had a new version of Startix, but even slicker. This one also includes "Stopix"! When you stop at a light, shift to neutral, and let the clutch pedal up, the engine stops to save fuel. Step on the clutch, shift into 1st and the engine always started right up. A little unnerving at first, especially in heavy trafiic, but it never failed. And, when I did stall the car, the engine immediately restarted automatically. Just like the old Startix.

While a 1.6 liter turbo diesel isn't quick (about 11.5 sec 0-60 mph), we had no problems cruising quietly at 70-80 mph on the motorways without diesel clatter noises. I didn't baby it and still got over 38 mpg with 4 people and luggage on board. Good thing, because the diesel fuel cost $8.39 a gallon! VW claims 50 mpg (US gallon) for the rating, even turned in 75 mpg in an "Economy Run" test. I think I have seen future of automobiles while reliving the past.

Driving the small roads in Devon in southwest England can be a challenge. As you can see, my granddaughter and nephew could almost touch the hedgerows on the sides. There are many miles of single-lane roads where you can drive 40 mph - but there might be someone coming the other way around a corner or over a hill, so caution is advised. Driving on the "wrong" side of the road doesn't help reactions, either.

We drove through the Safari Park at Longleat House one day. In the monkey area, small monkeys climbed all over the cars as we drove through slowly. Before entering this area, signs warn that the monkeys WILL harm your car if you have loose trim, antennas, etc. The monkeys did climb all over the cars, grabbing and twisting at everything. One monkey grabbed a ball from the top of one antenna and chewed it to pieces. Our car had monkey footprints all over the hood, roof, and rear bumper afterwards. In other sections of the park, we drove through herds of lions, tigers, camels, antelope, wolves, and rhinos. Signs say DO NOT get out of your car and to keep the windows up in most areas. The different sections are separated by high fences and dual motorized gates. One keeper was herding a couple of rhinos with a farm tractor having armor plating on the front. Nothing charged our car while we were there.

When not driving, I did manage to have a few pints at some fine pubs. The Brits know how to make beer and ale!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7660[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]7661[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]7662[/ATTACH]
    NoRol and Startix sound good, but I'm sure not sold on remote starting (saw a Buick ad yesterday where dad started the Buick for his daughter by cell phone). There have been several cases reported recently of people dying of CO poisoning becasue their cars were running in the attached garage.
    Diesel cars- I just don't understand why US manufacturers aren't building them and US drivers aren't buying them. Something like 60% of cars in Europe are diesel for the very reason you list (fuel $$$).
    Small roads in SW England- when driving there some years ago we were amused that the hedgerows are apparently kept trimmed by the trucks (lorries) that pass through- most are rubbing foliage on one or both sides.
    Monkeys- had the same problem with the Barbary Apes on Gibraltar except that most of us were walking among them. Anything shiny was fair game. An ape snatched a pack of cigarettes out of the pocket of man standing near us. When it determined that they weren't edible, the ape flung them down the rock. They also attack vehicles- tear off mirrors, etc.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I drive a 2009 Ford Focus TDC and it's brilliant, think the US issue was because the cost of Gasoline came down so folks went back to Gasoline. I wouldn't want another gasoline car (studebaker excepted) diesel is so much better.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I wouldn't want that evyl looking SOB sitting on my hood.

Comment

Working...
        X