PDA

View Full Version : "No-Zero-Nada rust anyhere on this automobile..."

Corvanti
02-27-2011, 11:01 AM
...or so the ad read. :mad:

oh well, i suppose it's not THAT bad... the avanti was much worse!!! :rolleyes:
i just expected the truth from a fellow SDC'er... my bad (?)
now to work!!!

barnlark
02-27-2011, 11:08 AM
That's patina...c'mon.
Not sure why the term rust-free is used so often. We all know that unless a car was just blasted, or stripped everywhere and sealed up instantly, it really isn't free of rust everywhere. Minimal rust is about the best anyone can expect and should claim.

Milaca
02-27-2011, 11:22 AM
The term 'rust free' is often used when they actually mean 'rust-hole free'. This doesn't necessarilly make the person a liar, it's just that they are using the term 'rust free' inappropriately. Perhaps the SDC needs a page of definitions / translations of commonly used terms associated with used cars so that everyone is on the same 'page'. :)

Bill Pressler
02-27-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm amazed at the wild-a** claims made by sellers about "no rust", when it soon becomes obvious they haven't done so much as take ten seconds to lift the rear-seat cushion out of the car, or pull the carpeting back to look at floors from the inside. (The latter was the situation with my Wisconsin seller of my '64.)

bezhawk
02-27-2011, 11:44 AM
When I see "rust free" advertised, I take it to mean that they don't charge extra for it!:)

gearhead49
02-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Maybe they mean't Free Rust??????????????

woodysrods
02-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I have what I consider to be a rust free Hawk. And yes ther is rurface and scale, but no holes or swelling type rust.
The picture of the inside floor under the back seat, looks like the floor got wet from a leak and surface rust started. Most likely sound floor once you remove the surface rust.
The only snag is the method if removal! Easy to do if car is to be totally stripped and restored, but very tough and messy if you plan to leave your upholstry and headliner in the car???
Good Luck
& Good Roads
Briani

Corvanti
02-27-2011, 12:51 PM
using: wire brush, marine clean, metal ready, por-15 or rust encapsulator after i take out and/or tape plastic sheeting over everything.

not exactly what i wanted to do on a 72 degree sunny day at the beach!!! :(