PDA

View Full Version : Champion and Dana 44

Kdancy
05-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Putting in a new Cathcart stage 4 (aluminum high compression head,dual intake and exhaust and bigger valves) into a 55 champion sedan. Do you guys think a dana with 3.31 rear is too high for the 6 and automatic
combo?

PackardV8
05-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Matter of personal preference as to how quick you want your car to be. I'd personally go with a 3.73. Think about it - Studebaker put it behind the R1 automatic which has twice the horsepower and the same weight. If they thought an R1 needed that much gear for good street performance, anything less in your Champ will accelerate commensurately more leasurely. thnx, jv.

PackardV8

StudeRich
05-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I beg to differ with ya Pack, the R1 Automatics had standard 3.31's![:0]
Both my JT R1 Auto. '63 Hawk and my '63 Avanti R1 Auto. have std. factory ratio TT 3.31's. That's what the brochure shows as std. [^]

The ones you are remembering are the 4 speed R2's, they did have the 3.73's standard. They went "all out" to make those very fast, right outta the box! [^]

It doesn't change Dancy's situation however, if he wants that "Hot Rod" 6 to go better than a stock one, he still needs at least 3.54 to get it going! :D

In my deleted answer to his deleted post I said that I recommend one of the Internet Calculator sites to determine what his RPM's would be at say 65-70 for cruising & fuel mileage (if there is such a thing with dual Carbs.!) Here is a good site for rear end info:
http://www.ringpinion.com/Default.aspx

Hey Dancy, don't forget to get a replacement rear section of driveshaft for your car or have it shortened, it will need to be shorter with the larger 44 replacing the 23 axle! [^]

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

I'd personally go with a 3.73. Think about it - Studebaker put it behind the R1 automatic which has twice the horsepower and the same weight.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Kdancy
05-11-2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the info. Stephen Allen has the driveshaft needed and he is right down the road. I am going to get new steel wheels to clear the disc brake set-up on the front of the car. I think some Ford rims have the right off-set? I want to stay with the close to stock size width tires.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8

sbca96
05-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Ford or Chrysler. I think that the "Intercepter" Crown Victorias got
16 inch steel wheels. I remember reading that somewhere. You have
to figure out what your current offset is, compared to factory Stude,
and go from there. It all depends on the rotor/hub used.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

I think some Ford rims have the right off-set? I want to stay with the close to stock size width tires.

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

54-61-62
05-12-2007, 10:32 AM
I've driven many six automatics - I'd go with 3.31 or 3.53.....Don't let anyone talk you into a 3.73 or numerically higher. With a 3.73 or 4.10 in a six car with automatic its almost impossible to drive it over 65 without the engine revs becomming high and it sounding like the little pistons want outside their cage [engine block].

My 54 champion is 3spd with overdrive and a 4.53 rear axle. With overdrive this equates out to about a 3.4 rear axle ratio if I remember correctly. This is a very nice driving car that can stand modern highway speeds.

Kent