Transmission Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Identification

Afternoon, wonder if anyone out there can help me identify this automatic trans that I have. Came out of a 1955 Comander 4 door with a 259 4 barrel engine. Numbers on the trans on a ident plate that I cleaned off are 70612 on the right side of the trans, Cast into it ar L28%2, then there is 5G-1 cast on it and then there looks to be a 8 6 11 that seems to be cast into the belhousing. Any ideas? thanks Dave

Look on the right side of trans. There should be a plate with a model. It should display DG???

Comment

Also, Dont let them know what your are going to do with car. Not yet. They will be suprised.

Comment

It is cast into it WG DIV, underneath that is is cast N1, on the aluminum plate are just the numbers 70612. The filer tube is long and goes into the back of the pan to act as a filler/drain for autmatic trans fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazyman41 View Post
          It is cast into it WG DIV, underneath that is is cast N1, on the aluminum plate are just the numbers 70612. The filer tube is long and goes into the back of the pan to act as a filler/drain for autmatic trans fluid.
          Due to the underhood filler tube it should be a '61 to '64 Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic.
          It could be several different models depending if it came from a 6 or 8, if it has a manual lever for throttle pressure control on the same shaft as the shift lever, if it does or does not have TWO Oil line fittings on the right side of the case just above the Pan.
          It also should be a long tail with an open hole for a slide-in driveshaft yoke, not a bolted yoke type. It will be a 3 speed most likely a Second Gear Start but if a 6 Cyl. or Truck could be a Low Gear start.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Rich
            I have the same trans you have discribed above from Sandi's 61 Hawk. Except there is no long filler tube to the back of the pan. Ours still has the filler cap with short dipstick attached. # on Aluminum plate starts with 55, I think it is #55416?? It does have both levers on the left side.
            What do you think of these transmissions? Are they worth using, as I am still undecided.
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

That pan and filler tube could have been installed at any time on that trans. I have them on mine. Post a picture of the trans and ID plate when you can, Lazyman41. The valve body numbers inside should tell you what you have if it is original to the trans, too.

Comment

A Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic, is a Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic!

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                Hi Rich
                I have the same trans you have discribed above from Sandi's 61 Hawk. Except there is no long filler tube to the back of the pan. Ours still has the filler cap with short dipstick attached. # on Aluminum plate starts with 55, I think it is #55416?? It does have both levers on the left side.
                What do you think of these transmissions? Are they worth using, as I am still undecided. Good Roads, Brian
                Brian, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Flight-O-Matic, they are in almost all post 1955 Studes. with Automatic and they work better than good!
                If you were looking for all-out PERFORMANCE and a little more fun, a Truck Trans. with Low Gear start or a Power Shift, floor shift might be more fun, but all Cast Iron Case Borg Warners' are dependable, strong and basically the same. As barnlark said, there are minor differences like the under hood filler that can be swapped in or out as desired, but '61 & on Larks should have them, I thought Hawks did also, I know '62's do. The '56-'60 Studes. do not.

The original poster has a '55 which SHOULD have had a Detroit Gear three band Studebaker Automatic Drive Trans. but based on his description it probably does not. These are a different animal altogether, not a bad Trans. just not as much of a pleasure to drive as a Flight-O-Matic.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich
                  That is all I need ti hear.
                  When I removed this trans from Sandi's car it was unusually clean, the trans fluid looked like it was put in yesterday, it tasted and smelled great too. The PO told me that a new torque converter had been installed just before the car was put away 30+ years ago.
                  We fired the car before disassembly and ran it thru the gears on jack stands....everything seemed fine. I really don't want to spend more money than I have to.
                  Can the filler tube be swapped out for the Lark style tube that fills under the hood? As I really don't like the idea of having a window in my floor and rugs to check and fill the trans.
                  Thank you for the info!
                  Good Roads
                  Brian
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                    Thanks Rich
                    That is all I need to hear./Cut/
                    Can the filler tube be swapped out for the Lark style tube that fills under the hood? As I really don't like the idea of having a window in my floor and rugs to check and fill the trans./Cut/
                    Yes, it is easy to do, it is best to get the Oil Pan and correct length Filler Pipe from a Hawk, 1962-'64.

Not that you care about "EASY" I have seen the tough projects you tackle!
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Brian, just to make sure you understand, to have the filler tube accessable from under the hood requires not only the tube, but the transmission oil pan is different also. Make sure you get the small bracket that goes from the filler tube to the right cylinder head also. Its a bolt in sway-did it on my 60 Lark.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Lets see if i can do this as I am a neanderthal with computers Here are shots of the transmission in question. am I asking too much?
                        URL="http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/pts/2236806206.html"]
                        http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/pts/2236806206.html[/URL]
                        Last edited by Lazyman41; 02-27-2011, 10:25 PM. Reason: trying to post a photo.

Comment

You couldn't just check for the things I mentioned in Post 5?
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you StudeRich,
                            I am a little slow at times. It has a long tail with a slide in yoke for the drive shaft, It has the manual lever for throttle pressure control on the same shaft as the shift lever, it does have 2 plugs above the right side of the pan, guess that would be for fluid return, but they do have fittings in the oriface. And it was mated to a 8 cyclinder with a four barrel carb. Is it worth keeping and what could I apply this trans too. Are torque converters easy to comeby with this trans?
                            Thank you for all the info I have received so far. As you can tell I am a byproduct of the quick study program.

Comment

Score!

Originally posted by Lazyman41 View Post
                              Thank you StudeRich,
                              I am a little slow at times.
                              Don't feel bad, that must be a Stude. Owner Virus, it comes from RUSTING Metal I think!

What you have is very desirable! This is not your everyday Long Tail, '58-'64 3 Speed Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic!

With those two Oil Cooler Fittings, input & output, that makes this a H.D. Unit, only used behind '58 Golden Hawks, Taxis, Police Cars, H. D. Fleet Sedans and R Series Avanti Engined Cars like Jet Thrust R1 and Super Jet Thrust R2 powered '63-'64 Larks & Hawks.

Any idea at all, which of the above it may have came from?

The Stude. Torque Converters are not found anywhere except from a Stude. Owner who has an extra one.
                              You could always TRY calling Converter Rebuilders to see if the older ones have any leftover Industry Standard number "S2" Converters, but they are pretty rare these days, a Turning Wheels or Stude. Swap Page Website Wanted Ad, or search for Sale Ads, might work also.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X