PDA

View Full Version : supercharger value info needed

skip
02-26-2011, 09:16 AM
hi. i am trying to find the value of 57 clipper supercharger. it is stuck and needs to be rebuilt. am i better off selling whole setup complete ?. it is all used and in need of some sort of recon one way or another. thanks for any help. skip what would that be worth ?.

BobPalma
02-26-2011, 10:01 AM
You'd certainly get more money if you sold the whole setup....but make sure you have the whole setup! I.e., all the bits and pieces, not just major components where the buyer still has to track down little pieces that somehow got lost or were never removed from the donor car.

'Seems like locked-up VS blowers have brought around $350-$400 on e-bay and such, IIRC. But please sell the whole package; too many of those setups have been broken up and various little parts scattered to the wind, never to be seen again. BP

r1lark
02-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Some of the 'bits and pieces' that Bob talks about are the crank pulley and the curved oil filler tube. I've seen a lot of early blower setups for sale without these.

ClaymoreWW
02-26-2011, 11:29 AM
not just the crank pulley and the oil tube, but the water pump housing and thermostat neck - and the idler arm with pulley and spring. In my novice opinion (having been looking), the "bits and pieces" are harder to find than the blower.

--george

skip
02-26-2011, 02:05 PM
okay, thanks for the input, but what would a complete setup be worth ?. thanks. skip.

BobPalma
02-26-2011, 03:14 PM
okay, thanks for the input, but what would a complete setup be worth ?. thanks. skip.

With a frozen blower but every single nut, bolt, lockwasher, et al, and I mean every one, at least $1,000...probably, in reality, a lot more. You wouldn't know until it was all spread out and presented nicely on e-bay. Who knows how high it would go if you had two guys with neutered Golden Hawks hell-bent on buying everything they needed in one place, even though everything needed cosmetic refurbishing and both the supercharger and carburetor needed serious mechanical overhauls? $2,000? $3,000?

Assume the buyer has a 1957 Golden Hawk purchased with no trace of the original engine, but he has a nice 1957 President engine sitting there that came with it. Will he need anything, anything at all, to make the President engine look and operate properly as a 1957 Golden Hawk engine? If there's anything missing, serious deductions must be made to allow him time and money to pursure the chase for those pieces. BP

bezhawk
02-26-2011, 04:24 PM
I traded one to Ted Harbit for some engine parts about a dozen years ago. I had everything except the blower itself. I mean everything.
I bead blasted every part to clean bare metal and primed in epoxy and rebuilt the Stromberg carb and the Delco distributor (had the correct advance curve). Sent intake, air box,fuel pump(working and clean),lower pulley, crankshaft bolt and spacer,blower mounting bracket, idler arm, tension spring,idler pulley,oil filler tube,oil filter mounting bracket (mounts behind air box),oil lines,an R series cam and aluminum cam gear w/matching numbered lifters.
I got new hyperutectic pistons, moly rings,front main bearings, rod bearings,ARP rod bolts.
That should give you an approxamation of what it's worth.

58PackardWagon
02-26-2011, 05:12 PM
I would send the supercharge to Ted or Phil Harris for rebuilding and use it in the car. It makes the car. If you pull the whole setup, it is getting tougher and tougher to gather parts without spending a fortune to get it setup again.