Help to I.D. trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to I.D. trans

I have a Borg-Warner flightomatic trans that I'd like to identify. As far as the main housing goes, its identical to the trans I pulled out of my 60 Lark. Thats about where it stops being the same. It has only the arm for the shift linkage-no arm for the bellcrank to transmission rod. It is an oil cooled trans, has a short tailshaft with the "U" joint bolted to the output shaft on the rear of the trans. The I.D. plate had had all the paint removed but has the number 10 stamped on its left & 10375 on the right of the plate. On top of the main housing below the WG DIV is N1A (cast in the housing). Finally, there may be trace remnants of silver paint on the trans, but that may have been applied in the years of its prior life. Does this trans sound familiar to anyone?
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

We got a WINNER!

Warren, no throttle pressure lever could mean only TWO things:

1. A short Tail Tranny indicates a TRUCK Automatic! Has Oil cooling lines and LOW gear start, you got a Winner!
    There should be a Vacuum modulator Can on the Left with a Vacuum line fitting & a wire for the electric downshift switch.

2. If it were a long Tail, it would be a '65-'66 with the Cable Throttle Pressure Control.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hmmmmmm....no vacuum modulator can. The only thing I see on the short tail shaft is the speedo gear position. Dang, only wish my floppy drive worked so I could post a picture!!!
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Ah Ha!!! I just looked at the trans again & there, on the left rear of the main housing, above the pan, facing rearward is a hole, about 1/2 inch or maybe bigger. I dont see that on the 60 Lark trans. I bet thats where the vacuum modulator goes that Rich was talking about! Now the only question left is where does the wire he spoke of go? Is it on the modulator itself?
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
          Ah Ha!!! I just looked at the trans again & there, on the left rear of the main housing, above the pan, facing rearward is a hole, about 1/2 inch or maybe bigger. I dont see that on the 60 Lark trans. I bet thats where the vacuum modulator goes that Rich was talking about! Now the only question left is where does the wire he spoke of go? Is it on the modulator itself?
          Yes that IS what you have, a H.D. Truck unit! The Solenoid is built into the Modulator with one wire coming out. Check the Truck Chassis Parts Catalog.

Not very long before Dennis closed SASCO he had a few 6 Cyl. Modulators, but no V-8. I think he sold out all he had on ebay though.
          I was thinking that there could not be too much difference, and you could change some springs with used one's from a V-8 or something to make them work as the V-8's are very rare and I need one for a Trans I have.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X