PDA

View Full Version : This Avanti looks on the money!

Bob Andrews
02-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Only thing that worries me is the inside of the glovebox... is that hidden rust? Love the carb box too...

Might be a great buy as a keeper.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2232483248.html

JDP
02-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Only thing that worries me is the inside of the glovebox... is that hidden rust? Love the carb box too...

Might be a great buy as a keeper.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2232483248.html

Fiberglass rust ? :) Maybe wet felt near a metal hinge, but now a deal breaker.

klifton1
02-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Looks like the vanity is missing ? Wonder what the numbers are ?
Klif

StudeMichael
02-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Once owned by ricky nelson?

gohdes
02-24-2011, 11:10 PM
what's with the speedometer picture, it looks like the edges around the dial are flaking?

StudeRich
02-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Another one with the Standard (Deluxe) Interior with the Perforated Seat Inserts and Plain door Panels!

JDP
02-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Once owned by ricky nelson?

Not his car, his was a 4 speed with power windows. BTW, waiting for pictures on a lift, but it's been on for a few weeks.

"Ricky's red 1963 Studebaker Avanti, serial number R1607, is still around. It is an R2 with a supercharger, 4-speed, power steering, power brakes, electric windows, twin traction, and tinted glass."

JDP
02-24-2011, 11:15 PM
what's with the speedometer picture, it looks like the edges around the dial are flaking?

Perfectly normal on a lot of Avanti's, just flat black paint flaking.

64V-K7
02-25-2011, 07:17 AM
The last fellow who owned Ricky Nelson's car wanted $49K for it... and it was red..
http://www.studebaker-info.org/avdb/R1000/63R1607/63r1607.html

barnlark
02-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Maybe it was Ricky Nelson from El Paso... <G> ...or Jon Voight.

cruiser
02-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Nah , Jon Voight had the Chrysler convertible !

sbca96
02-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Very nice car. I like the interior ... looks like real leather.

Tom

JDP
02-25-2011, 12:02 PM
The car has some pluses and minuses. Many of you may wonder why Sal would have not snagged it weeks ago, so I'll explain my thoughts on the car as a "dealer" that needs a profit on resale.

First question is: What is a realistic resale value after prepping, and I'm guessing in the 18K range once it's done. (not restored, just prepped)

Second question is: How much to get it there ? That it is the real issue. A close look shows a serious paint issue around and below the gas filler, some interior issues around the vinyl on the interior sail panel, the flaking gauges and some likely hidden problems.

Assuming a good frame and hog troughs and the rest, we might optimistically get away with spending a $1000 or so plus shipping with some paint blending. That would give us a best case investment of 12K for the car, maybe 2K for prep and shipping, for a potential profit of 4K.

Wow, that's a slam dunk, right ?? Not so fast, there could be surprises, some very bad ones, some more minor. What if the car needs a exhaust system, brakes, or tires for example ? What if we have a engine or transmission issue ? We're rolling the dice with a 14K investment for a best case return of maybe $4K. In my world, I'd rather make a $1000 on a $3000 car than roll the dice on one costing four times as much.

Some of the above applies to buying the car as a driver, but at 12K, I don't see how you could go wrong after a closer look. IMHO, if the car is as listed, it's worth maybe 15K even needing paint. It is however a Avanti and you could end upside down value wise, but that does not matter for a keeper. You never pay too much, you just paid too early, and the value should catch up.

JBOYLE
02-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Only thing that worries me is the inside of the glovebox... is that hidden rust?

My guess, I'll agree withJDP...it's the remnants of the red felt lining. If you try to take it out, it looks a lot like that.

MPlaia
02-25-2011, 12:21 PM
I do not know a tremendous amount about Avanti configurations, etc. But this car has an R3 carburetor box on it. What is the likeliehood of it being an R3 motor? I guess the numbers would tell.

Did a lot of folks over the years switch R2 carb/bonnet setups for R3 configuration? The R3 engines were fairly purpose built. What would the interior of an R3 look like at 90,000 plus miles?

I am not really in the market for this car, just curious.

Thanks in advance.

JDP
02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
I do not know a tremendous amount about Avanti configurations, etc. But this car has an R3 carburetor box on it. What is the likeliehood of it being an R3 motor? I guess the numbers would tell.

Did a lot of folks over the years switch R2 carb/bonnet setups for R3 configuration? The R3 engines were fairly purpose built. What would the interior of an R3 look like at 90,000 plus miles?

I am not really in the market for this car, just curious.

Thanks in advance.

It is not a R3, just has the fairly common air box added. It's too early a car, and nothing under the hood other than the box is R3.

WCP
02-25-2011, 12:52 PM
That so called rust is merely dried and well-aged contact adhesive that was not carefully applied - have scraped lots of that off over the years from several Avantis.

PackardV8
02-25-2011, 01:49 PM
***SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY*** TAKING BEST OFFERS OVER $10,000 PLEASE. 1963 STUDEBAKER AVANTI WITH SUPER CHARGER RUNS. CAR HAS A HISTORY- ONCE OWNED BY RICKY NELSON)

Those with whom I am hesitant to deal:

1. Sellers who write ******ALL IN CAPS*********** but then give absolutely no details as to mechanical condition.
2. Sellers who misrepresent their car's celebrity provenance
3. Sellers who say "Taking offers over $10,000" and then "Currently taking offers, $12,000 and it's yours" in the same ad. The final selling price of a used car is always negotiable. Can't count the cars I've bought for considerably less than their "Firm!" price or the "taking offers over" price. That sort of useless verbiage just wastes everyone's time and gets in the way of a factual presentation. See JDP's listings for how to do it right.
4. Sellers who say "SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY" - again a waste of space. Anyone retailing a car has to deal with anyone and everyone who walks in, calls in, writes in; just goes with the territory.
5. R2 engines trying to look like R3s.
6. New paint on a supercharger - could be a Jon Meyer rebuild, could be a spray can rebuild. Since it looks new, a serious buyer will want to know which.

Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines

sbca96
02-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Regardless of the seller and if you want to buy it to flip it, it looks like a nice car.

Tom

Bob Andrews
02-26-2011, 05:49 AM
Those with whom I am hesitant to deal:

1. Sellers who write ******ALL IN CAPS*********** but then give absolutely no details as to mechanical condition.
2. Sellers who misrepresent their car's celebrity provenance
3. Sellers who say "Taking offers over $10,000" and then "Currently taking offers, $12,000 and it's yours" in the same ad. The final selling price of a used car is always negotiable. Can't count the cars I've bought for considerably less than their "Firm!" price or the "taking offers over" price. That sort of useless verbiage just wastes everyone's time and gets in the way of a factual presentation. See JDP's listings for how to do it right.
4. Sellers who say "SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY" - again a waste of space. Anyone retailing a car has to deal with anyone and everyone who walks in, calls in, writes in; just goes with the territory.
5. R2 engines trying to look like R3s.
6. New paint on a supercharger - could be a Jon Meyer rebuild, could be a spray can rebuild. Since it looks new, a serious buyer will want to know which.

Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines

My opinions do not vary from this. Spot on, Jack!

I will also add folks that post and eBay auction with the starting price really high, sometimes even higher than the value of the item. I always wonder how so many people can have no idea what an auction is:(