• West Virginia C Cabs

JDP Maryland

*snif* and close too

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Anyone notice the non-stock/custom wheels on the '55? They look like maybe 15" diameter.

jack vines
      Last edited by PackardV8; 02-24-2011, 08:49 PM.
      PackardV8

Comment

Hmm, the '55 has the hard to find headlight bezels with the cut outs for the turn signal lamps, and not the bezels with the blanks underneath .
        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

What the??? You couldn't broom the cr*p off the floor and the front seat to take a picture? How lazy are you? C'mon, you're selling the image as much as the truck for cryin out loud. That being said.... it is my favorite version of the C Cab.
          sals54

Comment

$10K for the pair, is that reasonable considering their condition?
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Those look like implement wheels on the later truck.
              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I posted a couple weeks ago about the first one (and four other Studebakers this guy had) then I called him last week. He didn't mention the '55 at all. He did say that he bought someone's collection of Studebakers. I don't remember ever seeing any of them though (he's 20 miles from me). He has dropped his price slightly on the 2R (was $2900).
                The wheels on the '55 are close, but don't appear to be correct. 3/4 tons didn't have hubcaps, wheels should be 16-inch six lug as opposed to 15 or 15 inch five lug on 1/2 tons.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

it is my favorite version of the C Cab.
                  Agree completely. The '55 V8 E12 3-speed-overdrive is the best looking, best all-around truck Studebaker ever built. (But then, maybe I'm prejudiced, as I've owned an E12 for thirty years.)

The wheels on this '55 are close, but don't appear to be correct. 3/4 tons didn't have hubcaps, wheels should be 16-inch six lug as opposed to 15 or 15 inch five lug on 1/2 tons.
                  IMHO, the wheels on the '55 aren't even close to correct. They appear to be a very involved fabrication in the wrong direction - flat plate centers welded into 15" wheels. Much more offset than OEM 16" wheels, but they are still 6-lug with no hubcaps. Were you looking at both and got the photos of the '49 mixed?

jack vines
                  Last edited by PackardV8; 02-25-2011, 08:50 AM.
                  PackardV8

Comment

Those wheels on the 55 look the ones I got from Stocton Wheel. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      Agree completely. The '55 V8 E12 3-speed-overdrive is the best looking, best all-around truck Studebaker ever built. (But then, maybe I'm prejudiced, as I've owned an E12 for thirty years.)
                      jack vines
                      I'd love to have it, but in stock form, wouldn't a '55 E12 have had a 224 V-8?

nate
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

wouldn't a '55 E12 have had a 224 V-8?
                        Yes, and a 6V system. I ran one with a 4-speed for thirty years and most times wished it was an overdrive. The granny low was really nice to have on the rare occasions when I had a couple of tons on it, but the other 99.9% of the time, the direct 4th had the 224" screaming at highway speeds. Running at 60-65 MPH, eventually, it would pump all the oil up into the rocker covers, the pressure would drop and I'd have to slow down to 50-55 MPH.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                        X