PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Studebaker Sign or Reproduction?

PACKERBACKER
02-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Does anyone know if these Studebaker used car signs were reproduced? I want to buy it and the guy that has it says he got it when he bought a bunch of other signs. He guessed that the size is about 20" X 24" and that is a heavy sign of about a 10 gauge steel. It sure looks clean as if it is either a reproduction or a real sign that was probably never dispayed.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/clt/2185503169.html

Silverplate
02-24-2011, 06:14 PM
There just seems to be to many of these signs around to be all real.

1950 Champion RegalDeluxe
02-24-2011, 06:46 PM
I feel certain that this sign and the ones like it on EBay are reproductions.

StudeMichael
02-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Definitely a reproduction. The originals were much larger.

Studebaker Wheel
02-24-2011, 08:12 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/signabc.jpg?t=1298599409

Above is one page of a four page advertising piece for the ABC signs. While they did offer larger signs for the exterior of the used car lot the 42" square signs were by far the more popular. I do not know if the signs now on Craigs list and Ebay are original but do know the 42" signs were offered and quite popular at the time. Incidentally I saw one for sale at Hershey, Pa for $3500!! It has since been on Ebay more than once. I have remade a few of these with a foam type backing. MUCH cheaper and lighter and from 10 feet you can't tell the difference. SEE; http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?31354-Studebaker-Signs

StudeMichael
02-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Do you see any 20" x 24" ABC signs in the catalog Richard?

(S)
02-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Recently bid up an old looking Hupmobile sign that looked real enough, but when we got it -- it looked nothing like the aged original in the Ebay pic. It was some cheap POS. Some of these are not worth the postage!!!

gohdes
02-24-2011, 10:52 PM
that looks cool, whether is repro or not. If it's craigslist, you can see it before committing to buy it, assuming you are local there, right?

Studebaker Wheel
02-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Do you see any 20" x 24" ABC signs in the catalog Richard?

In that piece the 48 X 48" is the smallest sign advertised.

PACKERBACKER
02-25-2011, 01:22 AM
I want to thank all of you for your input, and a special thanks to Richard Quinn for supplying the catalog cut for this sign. It is about an hour and a half away to go see it, but after reading all of the replies to this thread I think that I will pass on it. It must be a repo and that seems like way too much to pay for it. Thanks again!

StudeRich
02-25-2011, 01:49 AM
The same Guy in Belvidere, (IL?) sold one on ebay last week for $236.49 and one for $200.00 and sold me one for $90.00 from Craigslist.

This week he has one on ebay for $179.99 Buy it now, as seller "beanieboys" plus the one you are watching on Craigslist for $125.00. So there must be a truckload of these repros being sold as: "This sign is made of very Heavy Steel. -(App. 18 gauge). The sign has a very Heavy Porcelain or Enamel type shiny finish".
I am beginning to wonder if I'll ever see it though, still waiting for it since 1/31/11. This does not sound GOOD! :mad:

sweetolbob
02-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Posted by StudeRich
I am beginning to wonder if I'll ever see it though, still waiting for it since 1/31/11. This does not sound GOOD!

Probably having trouble folding it to get it in an 10" X 12" envelope for media mailing.!!:rolleyes:

Rich, as I'm sure you are well aware, don't let the clock run out on Ebay or Paypal.

Bob

2R5
02-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Rich be sure to let us know what its like when you do get it , he does have good feedback so I'm sure you will receive it OK.

(S)
02-25-2011, 10:11 PM
I saw one of the signs today, very heavy metal and looks to be real baked enamel or porcelain. It was packed 'OK' and is very nice over all. One could pay 200 if you saw it in person and it would be a good deal compared to some lesser re-pops floating around. Not sure if this is an original, but it is very nicely done.
I think the clue may be that this one is a single sided sign, the other side is plain baked white- You could letter it with decals or something......

StudeRich
02-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Rich be sure to let us know what its like when you do get it , he does have good feedback so I'm sure you will receive it OK.

OK, it did arrive today, he says they got snowed in up there in Illinois, he said the P.O. was even closed TWO Days! Wow unheard of! :eek:

But all is GOOD with this guy named Mike in Belvidere, IL (beanieboys). It got here well wrapped, in good condition and it is a New Sign.

I got it off of Craigslist, so there is no feedback or recourse if there is a problem. $75-$100.00 seems fair for these, maybe a bit high, but this is no cheap Vinyl on alluminum sign either!

Since it is very heavy 18ga. Steel it MAY be an old reproduction, it's nice and probably a heavy Enamel, I don't really know.
It is 20" X 20" and the Blue portions in Richard Quinn's Pic of the Original, is BLACK, so it can't be an original, also it is undamaged as an old one would not likely be. :)