Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model R2-C2 Cab 1946 looking for value please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model R2-C2 Cab 1946 looking for value please help.

A good friends father past away recently and left him this truck. He has multiple sclerosis and is not in great shape. His dad left him everthing so he is OK on money but wants to sell this truck. He had an offer of $ 800.00 on it and he asked my opinion and I told him I would by it for $ 1500.00 before he let it go that cheap.I considered putting it on ebay for him but need some idea of value. His father was original owner. It starts and runs and has original motor . The speedometer reads 37,353 and I believe this to be actual miles because I knew his father and he has never left our small town in KY in his lifetime or even his farm much for that matter. This truck has been kept in a garage or barn its whole life. I drove it and the back breaks seem to stick some and may need work but other than that I cant find much if anything wrong with this truck. I took these Pictures with my phone. In the door it says:

Model: R2-C2 Cab 0019

R2-16-55

[
    Anything you can tell me about the value or the truck would be greatly appreciated thank You.

Weight: 14,000

Last edited by deadaim; 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM.

First off welcome to the Studebaker Drivers Club.

Value....I can't talk to that. It appears in very good shape but the big trucks tend to not be as valuable money wise as the cars and smaller trucks just because there is not as much use for them and they are harder to store.

As to the year.....it is NOT a 1946....The body style in the pics was used from 1949 thru 1953. The R2 -16-55 means that it is a 1-1/2T rated truck with a 155 in wheelbase. The R2-C2-cab 0019 tells you that it is the R2 body style with the C2 (standard) interior and the cab was the 19th one produced which SHOULD narrow it down to a 1949 vintage truck.
    Last edited by snowy_buffalo; 02-23-2011, 07:47 AM. Reason: typo
    \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
    \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Originally posted by snowy_buffalo View Post
      First off welcome to the Studebaker Drivers Club.

Value....I can't talk to that. It appears in very good shape but the big trucks tend to not be as valuable money wise as the cars and smaller trucks just because there is not as much use for them and they are harder to store.

As to the year.....it is NOT a 1946....The body style in the pics was used from 1949 thru 1953. The R2 -16-55 means that it is a 1-1/2T rated truck with a 155 in wheelbase. The R2-C2-cab 0019 tells you that it is the R2 body style with the C2 (standard) interior and the cab was the 19th one produced which SHOULD narrow it down to a 1949 vintage truck.
      Thanks for the info his son seemed to think it was a 46 model......I could not verify it anywere on the truck. At least its a start.

Comment

One of you truck guys lurking here on the Forum should jump on this as fast as you can. Great parade truck.
        Too far away from my farm or we would be going on hay rides in it here.
        Good Roads
        Brian
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Hello deadaim; It is wonderful that you have taken it upon yourself to look out for the best interests of your friend. From the data and photos you have provided, I can give you this information.

This well kept truck is a model 2R-16-55 truck. Decoded

2.....code for Studebaker trucks introduced in 1949 and built through 1953
          R.....the series of Studebaker trucks built for model years 1949 through 1954
          16...code for a 1 1/2 ton rated chassis with a Gross Vehicle Weight of 14,000 lbs (factory warranty limit). All 2R16 trucks came from the factory with a 226 cubic inch, flathead, side valve, six cylinder engine and a four speed manual transmission.
          55...indicates the length of the wheelbase measured from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle, in this case 155 inches.

I am guessing this is a 1949 model truck based on the cab # 0019. That's the lowest cab # I've ever seen and I've been a Studebaker truck nut since 1954. The only way to pin down the exact year is to have the serial (chassis) number. That data should be on the plate tacked to the driver's footwell beneath the seat edge. If you could post that code, which would look as R16-xxxxx, I could confirm the year.

This truck looks in marveleous shape for its age. It shows the owner took care of his equipment. Unforturnately, the market for large trucks is rather limited, as many collectors have storage problems. It does not appear it would take too many $$ to put the truck on the road and it would look nice. Brake work and tires might be the biggest expense. Based on this tepid assessment and no more information than what is presented here, the truck should be worth in the $2500-3000 range.

You may also want to post this information on STUDEBAKER TRUCK TALK, a forum for Studebaker truck nuts. This truck should make then salivate!!! Keep us posted and good luck.

Frank Drumheller
          Locust Grove, VA
          60S-W6
          1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

Originally posted by studelark View Post
            Hello deadaim; It is wonderful that you have taken it upon yourself to look out for the best interests of your friend. From the data and photos you have provided, I can give you this information.

This well kept truck is a model 2R-16-55 truck. Decoded

2.....code for Studebaker trucks introduced in 1949 and built through 1953
            R.....the series of Studebaker trucks built for model years 1949 through 1954
            16...code for a 1 1/2 ton rated chassis with a Gross Vehicle Weight of 14,000 lbs (factory warranty limit). All 2R16 trucks came from the factory with a 226 cubic inch, flathead, side valve, six cylinder engine and a four speed manual transmission.
            55...indicates the length of the wheelbase measured from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle, in this case 155 inches.

I am guessing this is a 1949 model truck based on the cab # 0019. That's the lowest cab # I've ever seen and I've been a Studebaker truck nut since 1954. The only way to pin down the exact year is to have the serial (chassis) number. That data should be on the plate tacked to the driver's footwell beneath the seat edge. If you could post that code, which would look as R16-xxxxx, I could confirm the year.

This truck looks in marveleous shape for its age. It shows the owner took care of his equipment. Unforturnately, the market for large trucks is rather limited, as many collectors have storage problems. It does not appear it would take too many $$ to put the truck on the road and it would look nice. Brake work and tires might be the biggest expense. Based on this tepid assessment and no more information than what is presented here, the truck should be worth in the $2500-3000 range.

You may also want to post this information on STUDEBAKER TRUCK TALK, a forum for Studebaker truck nuts. This truck should make then salivate!!! Keep us posted and good luck.

Frank Drumheller
            Locust Grove, VA
            60S-W6
            1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck
            Thanks, I hope to get down to his farm this weekend and Ill get the numbers........he is confused because he also thought it was an 8 cylinder and it looks like a six to me. He has a sister that may know more about the truck if I can get a hold of her. I just hate to see people taken advantage of.......I knew 800.00 had to be to cheap.....I would use it to haul cattle for that price.
            Last edited by deadaim; 02-23-2011, 08:44 AM.

Comment

&^^%%$$&* won't let me post a reply??????????????
              Bo

Comment

Originally posted by deadaim View Post
                Thanks, I hope to get down to his farm this weekend and Ill get the numbers........he is confused because he also thought it was an 8 cylinder and it looks like a six to me. He has a sister that may know more about the truck if I can get a hold of her. I just hate to see people taken advantage of.......I knew 800.00 had to be to cheap.....I would use it to haul cattle for that price.
                $800.00 cheap? Not really, when you consider the bottom line. 7 tires and tubes will run between $1,200.00 and $1,500.00 at a shop that will mess with split rim wheels. Another $2,000.00 to $3,500.00 to go through brakes, hoses, cylinders, service front and rear axles, transmission, bearings, seals, electrical and fuel systems. Carb rebuilt, and replace fuel pump to be compatible with new formulated gas. You didn't mention if the rear axle was 2 speed (vacum controls), parts hard to find.

Not to mention that at 45 to 50 mph, it is a death trap on modern highways. Pretty good as a parade, or hay ride vehicle, but not in any commerical over the road operation. I wouldn't transport cattle in it anyway unless you could run on small 2 lane back roads. You'd need to trailer it any great distance, as the ride would kill your back side.

$800.00 cheap? Go ahead and pay the man $1,500.00 and enjoy it.
                Bo

Comment

Check your PMs. Thanks, Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

Hi guys, In response to a PM I recieved from a regular poster here this morning stating that my sending the original poster a PM is inappropriate I wanted to bump this thread. If my response or PM is in fact inappropriate any of the moderators are welcome to delete my posts. Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                      Hi guys, In response to a PM I recieved from a regular poster here this morning stating that my sending the original poster a PM is inappropriate I wanted to bump this thread. If my response or PM is in fact inappropriate any of the moderators are welcome to delete my posts. Steve
                      Steve

Did you receive the PM from a member or moderator? I know you said member but I wanted to be sure for the record.

I'm far from the oldest member but I've been PMing members since I've been here. I've also received a fair amount of them from other members. Even discussed buying certain items/vehicles.

What is inappropriate about what you did, It sure seems like business as usual. So if I'm missing something will a moderator please clear this up.

Bob

Comment

Someone posts something that their friend is considering selling, and another Forum Member PM's the "Seller" for more info etc. What is different or wrong with that?

Now if Bo Markham had done it, after mentioning the "get driving" costs, it might seem a bit shady, but being honest about repair cost is not against the Law or the rules here either! No big deal, but it was not him.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Someone posts something that their friend is considering selling, and another Forum Member PM's the "Seller" for more info etc. What is different or wrong with that?

Now if Bo Markham had done it, after mentioning the "get driving" costs, it might seem a bit shady, but being honest about repair cost is not against the Law or the rules here either! No big deal, but it was not him.
                          Well apparently it was me. I misunderstood what was being said in the post and to whom the post was intended. I've all ready appolgized to Steve for my missunderstanding the comment. I have no personal interest in the truck, nor I made any contact with the owner, or the poster about buying the truck, so there is nothing "shady" going on here.
                          Bo

Comment

Working...
                          X