NOTICE: SDC website outages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOTICE: SDC website outages

First, I apologize to everyone who has been frustrated by the recent service outages that have occured. Here is briefly what is happening and what is to come.

One or more servers at our host company are of an older variety (heck, a two year old server is ancient these days!) and have decided they no longer want to "play nice" with some of the new software and programming needed to have an effecient and secure website. In addition,the "veteran" servers are apparently jealous of a new server placed online last weekend and decided on its own to shut down at night and let the new server take over when the the new server wasn't quite ready.

So, it now boils down to a major upgrade project is underway to overhaul the entire server network. To make this happen, there will be some additional times when the site will be down. I am told this will be mostly late at night/overnight. However, there will be some short periods (10-15 minutes) during the day/evening when the site could be down while servers are being tested/rebooted, etc. In fact, one happened as I tried to post this message! Also, there are some technical reasons why redundencies cannot be employed to keep the site up 100% during this period that even I do not understand, but that's the way it is.

Anyway, you will need to be patient over the next week as this work goes on. If you go to the website and get the deaded "Server not found" message, first hit your page refresh button to load a fresh page. If you still get the "server not found" that means the site is offline.

Important: When you then try to access the site later, remember that your browser will first load the cached page from your last attempt, which will be the "Server not found" page. Always remember to refresh the page to confirm whether the site is still down or back up.

Ultimately, this upgrade will be a very good thing, but I understand and regret your inconvenience and frustration.

If any of you suffer forum withdrawl symptoms during these (hopefully short) outage periods, immediately pick up a handful of Turning Wheels and read and re-read them cover-to-cover until the symptoms subside. If the symptoms persist, go out to the shop and work on and/or drive your Studebaker. If you have worsening withdrawl symptoms, go out and buy the first Studebaker you can find with a "for sale" sign on it, sit behind the wheel and take deep breaths.

Again, thanks in advance for your patience.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Thank you for the explanation and for putting a humorous, but true, slant on your cure.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thank you for the explanation and for putting a humorous, but true, slant on your cure.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Bob.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
        64 Avanti R3w/NOS
        88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Thanks Bob.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
          64 Avanti R3w/NOS
          88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

I still think it is Poltergeist's....
            But I will take your explaination, just as well

Thanks Bob!

glen Brose
            Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

I still think it is Poltergeist's....
              But I will take your explaination, just as well

Thanks Bob!

glen Brose
              Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

Whatever happens, I suppose it involves putting some money in Bill Gates pocket.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Whatever happens, I suppose it involves putting some money in Bill Gates pocket.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sadly, Rockne, that's a fact of life with the micro-computer. Our Lord Gates has become the inescapable, incomparible, omnipresent, and omnipitant Lord of all things computer. To quote a self-professed country doctor, "Angels and ministers of grace, defend us!"

Thank you Bob for the explanation. Sadly, our hosts aren't as gracious as you are. Elsewise, this explanation and warning could have come sooner. Sorry, after twenty-five years in the Data Processing field, there's no excuse for the laissez-faire attitude that so many systems administrators have now.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    Lotsa Larks!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Sadly, Rockne, that's a fact of life with the micro-computer. Our Lord Gates has become the inescapable, incomparible, omnipresent, and omnipitant Lord of all things computer. To quote a self-professed country doctor, "Angels and ministers of grace, defend us!"

Thank you Bob for the explanation. Sadly, our hosts aren't as gracious as you are. Elsewise, this explanation and warning could have come sooner. Sorry, after twenty-five years in the Data Processing field, there's no excuse for the laissez-faire attitude that so many systems administrators have now.

Lotsa Larks!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Bob: I was so frustrated that I followed your advise, went out and bought a new Stude and was sitting behind the wheel taking deep breaths and my Wife wondered how a Stude could do that to me and she couldn't? Please, I need a good explanation to give to her. HELP!

toyman

Comment

Bob: I was so frustrated that I followed your advise, went out and bought a new Stude and was sitting behind the wheel taking deep breaths and my Wife wondered how a Stude could do that to me and she couldn't? Please, I need a good explanation to give to her. HELP!

toyman

Comment

I bought a new Stude a week ago, so it must have been a
                            premenition...that something was coming!!!! 6 more days
                            of taking deep breaths and sleepless nights!!!!

glen Brose
                            Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

I bought a new Stude a week ago, so it must have been a
                              premenition...that something was coming!!!! 6 more days
                              of taking deep breaths and sleepless nights!!!!

glen Brose
                              Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X