What is this ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this ?

I need some help identifying the tan round piece and an education as to what it and the tach plug into.
    The three prong plug seems to indicate something special. Hopefully my pictures will upload. If not I will try again. The object in question is tan, round, about 3 5/8" in dia, Has a 3point plug in and a Key drive mechanism on the back side. Thanks,
    Stude Rookie

That sounds like theTach drive that goes between the Early Delco Distributor and the Dist. Cap on a Stude. V-8 Hawk from 1956 to 1961, you will need the matching Tach. head to plug it into.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Rookie View Post
      I need some help identifying the tan round piece and an education as to what it and the tach plug into.
      The three prong plug seems to indicate something special. Hopefully my pictures will upload. If not I will try again. The object in question is tan, round, about 3 5/8" in dia, Has a 3point plug in and a Key drive mechanism on the back side. Thanks,
      Stude Rookie

You need the tach harness, just a long extention cord with plugs and a ground and 12 volt wire, and the sender and special extension clips.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Sounds like the tach drive assembly.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude Tach Drive a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	1667299
        Beige hockey puck sized part with a round tube in the middle you can spin with your fingers?
        It gets sandwiched in between the distributor cap and distributor body.
        The cap clips get short 'extensions' so the clips will still hook on to the cap.
        Hooks to the tach lead that hooks to the tach...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude Tach Body.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	1667300
        HTIH
        Jeff

Stude Rookie
        Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 02-21-2011, 12:59 PM.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
          You need the tach harness, just a long extention cord with plugs and a ground and 12 volt wire, and the sender and special extension clips.
          Are the tach harness and special clips still available through Studebaker vendors or am I looking for unobtainium?
          Stude Rookie

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            Sounds like the tach drive assembly.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]7485[/ATTACH]
            Beige hockey puck sized part with a round tube in the middle you can spin with your fingers?
            It gets sandwiched in between the distributor cap and distributor body.
            The cap clips get short 'extensions' so the clips will still hook on to the cap.
            Hooks to the tach lead that hooks to the tach...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7486[/ATTACH]
            HTIH
            Jeff
            Thank you for the pictures . That is exactly what I have, and now I am somewhat edicated. Will these parts work with an Avanti dual point distributor?
            Stude Rookie
            Last edited by Stude Rookie; 02-21-2011, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the pictures . That is exactly what I have, and now I am somewhat edicated. Will these parts work with an Avanti dual point distributor?
              Stude Rookie
              No they will not fit, just a Delco, and yes the clips and harness are rare and not typical vendor stock.
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                No they will not fit, just a Delco, and yes the clips and harness are rare and not typical vendor stock.
                Looks as if I am stuck between a tach without a harness to the sender and a later model tach to my 56'GH dash. Thanks guys, I was at a loss. Not really sure what brand my Avanti distributor is either.
                Stude Rookie

Comment

well, a 56J used a Packard engine and Autolite dist (not the same as Avanti dual point tho) and used its own tach sender which looks the same as but is slightly different from the one used on Stude-engined cars with a Delco dist.

What's under your hood now? from your post it sounds like it's a Stude engine not Packard. If you want to use the stock tach sounds like you need to find a Delco non-window distributor and use the Delco sender, or a Prestolite dist. and use the 56J one (IF - and that is a big IF - it uses the same cap and rotor as a 56J dist, and I can't remember if it does or not.)

good luck

nate
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
                    well, a 56J used a Packard engine and Autolite dist (not the same as Avanti dual point tho) and used its own tach sender which looks the same as but is slightly different from the one used on Stude-engined cars with a Delco dist.

What's under your hood now? from your post it sounds like it's a Stude engine not Packard. If you want to use the stock tach sounds like you need to find a Delco non-window distributor and use the Delco sender, or a Prestolite dist. and use the 56J one (IF - and that is a big IF - it uses the same cap and rotor as a 56J dist, and I can't remember if it does or not.)

good luck

nate
                    Got my head to spinning now for sure. I grew up with small block Chevys and inter-changeability was a no brainer until the mid eighties. My Stude engine for this car is a 1963' R1 Avanti. I am slowly learning the intricasies of Studebaker ownership and have plenty of surprises to come I'm sure. Looks as if after market SW tach is the way to go on this one. I am working on other parts of the car since the Commanders rescue from the body shop so there is plenty to do. I will in all probability take the body off of the frame since it's all in pieces anyway. A step here, a step there. I love this car.
                    Stude Rookie

Comment

Working...
                    X