radiator removal from 56 Power Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radiator removal from 56 Power Hawk

I need to take the radiator out of my Hawk so I can have it repaired. I read the paragraph on it in the shop manual, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something before I tear into this. I'm not a "mechanic" by any stretch of the imagination. It looks to me like you need to remove the fan shroud and slide it back towards the engine to allow clearance for the attachement for the lower radiator hose. Other than that it just looks like I need to remove the bolts along the sides that hold the radiator in place and slide it up and out. Is it fairly easy or am I missing something????
    Thanks,

Steve

Is it fairly easy or am I missing something????
    Drain it first?

Replace both hoses and the cap.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      Drain it first?

Replace both hoses and the cap.

jack vines
      And last but not least, when you remove hoses, if they are adhered to the outlets don't just pry and pull on 'em. Slice along the length on the outlet and peel them off carefully. Old radiators can get weak at the soldier joints.

Bet you'll never guess how I know but I found that out early in my formative years.

Bob

Comment

Ok, radiator is out without any major complications besides a little more coolant on my garage floor than I wanted. Bob, thanks for the suggestion on cutting the hoses if they didn't want to cooperate. Top came off fine, but the bottom one was stubborn.

Comment

might as well go ahead and order new hoses now, IIRC one of them (forget which) is a vendor-only part, unless you are willing to use a flex hose (I think they're ugly, personally.)

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
          X