A couple of Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of Questions.

I have dropped the gas tank to clean/paint and use POR-5 to seal the inside as there is no one locally who does this kind of work. Reading comments on this site, people refer to a spring on the bolt holding the tank on. I did not have any spring. Is this going to cause a problem? If so, can I buy a replacement spring or what could I use as a substitute?

My windshield has some wiper streaks that will not clean off. You cannot feel them but they are noticeable. Is there any way to remove these marks? Thanks for any help.

I would try to find the spring, call Tom Karkiwicz (sp) in the S. Bend area, he dismantles Studes and save a LOT of this kind of stuff. The spring has something to do with the flex of the frame, so the gas tank does not flex (bad thing if it does too much) Call your local glass shop, see if they have the polish to remove slight scratches. Ypu might also call a radiator shop to see if they can boil out your tank.
    I take mine to the metal strippers in Indy, that cleans them inside and out. Then seal the inside, and paint the outside.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Compare prices, but you can also buy a glass polishing kit (from Eastwood I believe), and take those streaks out yourself.

Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by valleyguy View Post
        Compare prices, but you can also buy a glass polishing kit (from Eastwood I believe), and take those streaks out yourself.

Joe D.
        The rule of thumb I was told about polishing scratches out of glass was, "If you can catch your fingernail on them, they are too deep to polish". However, you can still give polishing a try, just in case.

Bob

Comment

Thanks for the info. There are no Studes in the only wrecking yard around here. Can someone describe the spring and how it mounts? Maybe I can make something that will work. Thanks

Comment

It is in a post 5 above yours this morning. Right above it now.
            Last edited by Alan; 02-23-2011, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X