1946 M5...oil filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 M5...oil filter?

So I finally got my M5 home from south of the border,and I was poking around the engine compartment to start changing fluids to attempt to start it up and I can't see an oil filter?I can see a location where the oil pressure sensor comes off,but no filter.Some pictures I have seen show a remote kind of filter on the motor on the drivers side,I also brought home a spare engine and tranny from an M15,no filter on it either...was an oil filter an option?My shop manual shows a filter,the parts manual lists a Fram filter...am I blind?

1946 Studebaker M5 1/2 ton.....Got Parts?...rear view mirror,.?
    Studebaker Drivers Club Member
    Learning Respect for the Power of Rust more Every Day
    Studebaker Truck Farmer

no filter on my '40 Champion either. the owner's manual mentions: "fittings that permit the installation of a Fram oil cleaner as special equipment"... a dealer installed option???
    wouldn't mind having one. until then, i'll be changing the oil at least every 1,500 miles.
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Sure, guys; the oil filter was optional at extra cost. In fact, the "Champion" engine didn't get an oil filter as standard equipment until mid-1962, and that was after it had been converted to overhead valves. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Come to the BC Coastal Chapter meeting this Sunday, Bruce. One o'clock, 211 N. Grosvenor, Burnaby, potluck.

Terry

Comment

pm sent terry
          1946 Studebaker M5 1/2 ton.....Got Parts?...rear view mirror,.?
          Studebaker Drivers Club Member
          Learning Respect for the Power of Rust more Every Day
          Studebaker Truck Farmer

Comment

Here's how to install the oil filter.

Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I was reminded the other day on an antique tractor forum about oil and old vehicles - the cheapest oil you can buy today is much better than the most expensive oil around when these vehicles were new. And remember, those add on filters were by-pass filters - they did not filter the oil before it went to all those moving parts.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
              X