PDA

View Full Version : Help find Mary Anne's Avanti--gold '63 R1 with Powershift, serial 63R-2837

Bill Pressler
02-19-2011, 06:17 AM
From an earlier thread:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?48218-Small-world-time...&highlight=small+world+time

...you may remember that a lady from KS looked me up as at age 20 she ordered and took delivery of an Avanti Gold '63 Avanti with R1 and Powershift, power steering, radio, rear speaker, sun band, and windshield washers, at Wavra Motors in Grand Forks, North Dakota. She was photographed in the May '63 "Studebaker News" as the first delivery of an Avanti in that state.

The serial no. is 63R-2837; engine no. is R-2069.

Thanks to George Krem and the Studebaker National Museum which filled in the details on the car that Mary Anne wasn't sure of.

Bad news is, the car doesn't show on the Avanti Owner Association's roster of '63's, and also did not show up on their 1977 roster. Good news is, Avantis have a high survival rate.

Mary Anne wants to find her car. I'm trying to put the word out there. I'm going to try and have a small mention put in the Turning Wheels, and probably also the Avanti club magazine and possibly Hemmings.

Thanks in advance for keeping an eye/ear out for this car.

avantilover
02-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Good luck with finding it, hopefully it didn't get parted out.

JBOYLE
02-20-2011, 11:52 AM
A bit more bad news, it doesn't show up on the free registry on the "TheAvanti" website....

http://www.theavanti.com/register_63.html

I've taken my AOAI roster and cross checked it with that roster and you'd be surprised how many cars are on the free roster and not the club's.

Bill Pressler
02-20-2011, 02:24 PM
A bit more bad news, it doesn't show up on the free registry on the "TheAvanti" website....

http://www.theavanti.com/register_63.html

I've taken my AOAI roster and cross checked it with that roster and you'd be surprised how many cars are on the free roster and not the club's.

Thanks John; I greatly appreciate your checking it out.

Alan
02-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Even in the old rosters there were at least 10% with no R number. Either they had no car or had sold their car or would not give the car ID to the club.

JBOYLE
02-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Any chance that others with older AOIA rosters could check before and after 1977?

It might give us an idea if it survived the "old, used car" period of its life.

Likewise, if anyone has old rosters, I'd be interested if my car shows up...

BobPalma
02-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Bill: IIRC, didn't she/you say at one time the car was traded in Philadelphia...or was it Pittsburg?

Regardless, the place where Mary Anne disposed of the car should be noted here, because that will be the epicenter of locating it, so to speak.

Having been traded in the rust belt doesn't bode well, of course....gulp. BP

Bill Pressler
02-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Bill: IIRC, didn't she/you say at one time the car was traded in Philadelphia...or was it Pittsburg?

Regardless, the place where Mary Anne disposed of the car should be noted here, because that will be the epicenter of locating it, so to speak.

Having been traded in the rust belt doesn't bode well, of course....gulp. BP

Bob, in '66, before moving to Philadelphia, they traded the Avanti and her husband's Buick Invicta convertible, on a new '66 Cutlass from Wilcox and Malm Oldsmobile, Grand Rapids, ND.

BobPalma
02-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Bob, in '66, before moving to Philadelphia, they traded the Avanti and her husband's Buick Invicta convertible, on a new '66 Cutlass from Wilcox and Malm Oldsmobile, Grand Rapids, ND.

Thanks for the clarification, Bill. I was under the impression they did the trade after they moved.

Good. This means her Avanti has a higher chance of survival, if it wasn't introduced to the salty east at a young age. BP

8E45E
02-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Bill. I was under the impression they did the trade after they moved.

Good. This means her Avanti has a higher chance of survival, if it wasn't introduced to the salty east at a young age. BP

....as long as it wasn't the one belonging to Grant Goldade in Bismark, ND as I stated in the previous thread on this car. It was possibly the closest gold Avanti to Grand Rapids, ND. I never did hear the fate of it after its accident, but I do hope it got repaired.

Craig

barnlark
02-20-2011, 07:15 PM
I may know where that Invicta is <G>... not many of those around. I sure hope you find her Avanti, Bill. Good luck.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSC_0014-1.jpg

Bill Pressler
02-20-2011, 07:27 PM
....as long as it wasn't the one belonging to Grant Goldade in Bismark, ND as I stated in the previous thread on this car. It was possibly the closest gold Avanti to Grand Rapids, ND. I never did hear the fate of it after its accident, but I do hope it got repaired.

Craig

Craig, thanks for mentioning that fellow in your previous post. Ten days ago, I emailed him (got an address from the old 'alt.autos' Stude site). Haven't heard anything back yet, but also didn't get a 'mailer daemon' or other error message back. We'll see.

Bill Pressler
02-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Dave, I think I saw that car on 'the tour' you gave me a year or so ago, didn't I? Boy, an Avanti and an Invicta convertible; that's a pretty delicious combination of cars for the time, don't you think?!

Forgot to mention, Mary Anne tried to buy a Franklin Mint gold 1/24-scale Avanti online someplace last week or so, but they are sold out. She did buy and receive a 1/43-scale gold Avanti. Her selling Stude dealership, Wavra Motors, only sold two new Avantis, and Richard Quinn's friend Richard Pianca owns the second one, but the whereabout of Mary Anne's is still a mystery.

woodysrods
02-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Well it sound 's like evryone is on top of this! It is a wonderful story that I hope has a Happy Ending for someone.
Keep up the search!
Just thought I would bump the thread.
Good Roads
Brian

Bill Pressler
02-27-2011, 03:21 PM

CORRECTION: Wilcox and Malm Oldsmobile was in Grand FORKS, not Grand Rapids, ND. I don't know why I keep wanting to type "Rapids" by mistake!

StudeRich
02-27-2011, 03:56 PM
So Bill, from my interpretation of all the posts, it seems that we are looking for a Gold R1 Powershift Avanti that at least when New anyway, was DELIVERED WITHOUT A/C, Correct?

Bill Pressler
02-27-2011, 04:38 PM
So Bill, from my interpretation of all the posts, it seems that we are looking for a Gold R1 Powershift Avanti that at least when New anyway, was DELIVERED WITHOUT A/C, Correct?

That's correct, Rich.

8E45E
02-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Craig, thanks for mentioning that fellow in your previous post. Ten days ago, I emailed him (got an address from the old 'alt.autos' Stude site). Haven't heard anything back yet, but also didn't get a 'mailer daemon' or other error message back. We'll see.

Here are a couple photos that I took in May, 1984:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5132/5483690305_0cc028ded2_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5259/5484281828_77a7314c68_b.jpg

The only item I can see that might separate it from others out there is the rearview mirror on the driver's door as its not the 'Stratovue' mirror one commonly sees on Avanti's.

Craig

Bill Pressler
02-28-2011, 03:49 AM
Here are a couple photos that I took in May, 1984:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5132/5483690305_0cc028ded2_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5259/5484281828_77a7314c68_b.jpg

The only item I can see that might separate it from others out there is the rearview mirror on the driver's door as its not the 'Stratovue' mirror one commonly sees on Avanti's.

Craig

Thanks Craig! Mary Anne's was built without an outside mirror, as none are listed on the production order (unless an outside mirror was standard on an Avanti? I don't know). That could explain the non-'Stratovue' mirror. I notice the photo shows the car with an "Avanti" trunklid nameplate instead of the original "Studebaker", which might indicate paintwork. Interesting, though. I still haven't heard anything back, but it was an old email address. I've sent a person with that name, a message on Facebook. The guy looks young, though. Maybe a grandson.

That car is a fairly early serial no., like Mary Anne's, as I see it lacks the roof gutter trim.

BobPalma
02-28-2011, 07:04 AM
Exterior rear view mirror was optional at extra cost, Bill, so, as you say, this one could have been added later.

Also, note that door's color. It is sufficiently "off" that the door has likely been refinished at some point, so who knows when the mirror was added...or if it was added to replace a factory-option mirror that was knocked off and a body shop didn't know where to get a Studebaker replacement (or didn't want to) in the 1980s.

Did I miss something in this thread? Is this Avanti (here, the one in Craig's pictures) supposed to be Mary Anne's Avanti? BP

8E45E
02-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Did I miss something in this thread? Is this Avanti (here, the one in Craig's pictures) supposed to be Mary Anne's Avanti? BP

Bob, at this point, its an educated guess. This car was owned by an SDC member in Bismark, North Dakota in the early 1980's. It was/is the closest gold Avanti to Grand Forks that anyone knows of so far. Bill has attempted to contact Goldade's to find out its fate and the serial number to comfirm whether this is her car or not. And who knows, that door could have been repainted prior to the 1980's as well. Until we get some answers, the plot thickens....

Craig

woodysrods
03-04-2011, 11:53 PM
There is a 1/24 scale on eBay right now with 5 days to go.
Good Luck and Good Bidding.
Brian

Bill Pressler
03-05-2011, 05:44 AM
There is a 1/24 scale on eBay right now with 5 days to go.
Good Luck and Good Bidding.
Brian

Thank you Brian, I've passed the information onto Mary Anne.

I sent the particulars of a potential article, and the photo of Mary Anne and the car from "The Studebaker News", to Art and Ann, the editor of "Avanti" magazine, and Richard Lentinello from Hemmings. So, we'll see how it goes. Richard Lentinello almost immediately sent back an email saying they couldn't do it, as they'd be inundated with similar requests. I am 'holding back', but am compelled to reply that what makes this story different than the guy looking for his '63 Impala 283 with Powerglide, is the fact that it was generated from a February article in Hemmings, that we have a photo of the original owner from a Studebaker dealer publication, that she was a college girl buying an exotic car like an Avanti new (!), and that the pool of Avantis is way smaller than other cars. But hey, I understand (kind-of). I know he read my email quickly as he refers to Mary Anne as "May" (apparently from the date of the "Studebaker News" photo I attached!).

Lastly, the Bismarck Avanti shown in photos above may be serial R-3608 instead of Mary Anne's, as R-3608 was a similar car shipped new to Bismarck. I haven't heard anything from my couple of attempts to contact people named 'Grant Goldade' via email and Facebook.

I'll 'bump' this thread every so often just to keep it in people's minds!

Thanks all!

8E45E
03-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Lastly, the Bismarck Avanti shows in photos above may be serial R-3608 instead of Mary Anne's, as R-3608 was a similar car shipped new to Bismarck. I haven't heard anything from my couple of attempts to contact people named 'Grant Goldade' via email and Facebook.

I have contacted Mark Soholt, and he mentioned the car was sold to an insurace company and in turn sold to someone who rebuilt it, so that's good news. Unfortunately, no one ever followed up as to where it went. But......Mark has told me he still has in his files a printout from 1985 or so, of every Studebaker still registered in North Dakota at the time when the Roughrider Chapter there was recruiting new members. This Avanti serial number will definitely show up on it, and later today, he will contact me when he locates it.

Craig

barnlark
03-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Great detective work, Craig. I'm sure Bill & Mary Anne will be excited about that, especially if it pans out. It's good to see other people save files forever, too. It's not too popular in my house, but at least I know where things are...even if it looks like junk to the unappreciative! :p

Bill Pressler
03-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks Craig; your help is very much appreciated! And Dave...you didn't make it to York either?!

barnlark
03-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Had to work..go figure.

paxton bloR
03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone
The Avanti that Goldade had is not the Avanti that was Mary Annes car. I have known the car since new & belonged to a man that was the mgr. of Cook Sign in Fargo,ND. John would drive his Avanti down main street in Fargo with his arm out the window & the pipes making noise all the way to the next lite.
Gary Olson 701.361.2768 There is more to this story.

DEEPNHOCK
03-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Just ask JP... He's probably sold it two or three times:rolleyes::p:)

From an earlier thread:
<snip>
Mary Anne wants to find her car. I'm trying to put the word out there.
<snip>.

8E45E
03-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi everyone
The Avanti that Goldade had is not the Avanti that was Mary Annes car. I have known the car since new & belonged to a man that was the mgr. of Cook Sign in Fargo,ND. John would drive his Avanti down main street in Fargo with his arm out the window & the pipes making noise all the way to the next lite.

Thanks for the update, Gary. :) I am still waiting for Mark to produce the 1986 printouts from the ND DoT which have serial numbers along with the owner's name and address. As of yesterday evening, he located a later printout from the early 1990's which do not have serial numbers; only owner's name and address and licence plate numbers. If he locates the 1986 paperwork, perhaps it will show if Mary Anne's Avanti was still registered in North Dakota up to that time.

As for posting in more information on Val Goldade's Avanti and if you know of it current status, start a new thread on it. I'd like to know more about that one. Thanks

Craig

JDP
03-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Just ask JP... He's probably sold it two or three times:rolleyes::p:)

In hindsight, I wished I had logged the few 100 Studebaker I've sold over the years. Just this week at York I had four guys come up to talk about cars they'd bought from me, and most of the time I was clueless to recall the details. One Avanti sale was from 1974, and the guy still owned it. :) It was the Avanti that I bought with a Chevy engine and Dan Webber offered me a used R1 engine for. A bit later, I learned it was the very engine that had been in the car before the swap.

Bill Pressler
03-07-2011, 04:12 AM
Hi everyone

Thanks for the info, Gary!

If you're from Fargo, do you remember Cordell Motors in Moorhead? That's where my white R1 Skytop (see signature line) was purchased through. The original owners' name is Duginski. I'm told the owner of Cordell Motors was named Ray Guillemette.

paxton bloR
03-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Hi Bill,
I was afriend of the parts mgr. at Cordell Motors in Moorhead & did get all of the parts books & manuals.
Another friend of mine purchased a new 63 Avanti from Cordells with the color Gray & 3 speed manual trans.
They went on their honey moon with the Avanti & still own the car with low mileage.
Gary olson

Bill Pressler
03-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi Bill,
I was afriend of the parts mgr. at Cordell Motors in Moorhead & did get all of the parts books & manuals.
Another friend of mine purchased a new 63 Avanti from Cordells with the color Gray & 3 speed manual trans.
They went on their honey moon with the Avanti & still own the car with low mileage.
Gary olson

Gary, can you let me know the name of your friend the parts manager, and your friend with the Avanti? I'd like to see if the Duginskis might know/have known either of them. If you'd rather not post, maybe you can send me a private message via the forum.

The Duginskis liked the owner of the dealership, but smiled when they told me they'd ask him how many miles a certain used car had, and he'd say "however many miles you want it to have"!

Mary Anne
03-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Just received an email from a friend in Arizona who had Minnesota girl friends visiting. They mentioned an Avanti collector in Minneapolis named Virgil Marple. I've contacted him via email. Anyone know him?

JWW
03-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Just received an email from a friend in Arizona who had Minnesota girl friends visiting. They mentioned an Avanti collector in Minneapolis named Virgil Marple. I've contacted him via email. Anyone know him?

He is listed in the 2007 Roster (the most recent one I have) as having a 1964 Avanti R2, a 1988 Avanti cnvt, and a '55 Speedster. Hope he also has yours.
JWW

Studebaker Wheel
03-21-2011, 01:45 PM

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/IMG_0600copy-1.jpg?t=1300732793
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/IMG_0603copy-2.jpg?t=1300733826[IMG]
[IMG]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/IMG_0606copy-1.jpg?t=1300732972

Above a small part of Virgil's collection in one of at least 3 buildings. Has maybe 100 cars or so (mostly Studebakers) with lots of Avantis. No, nothing for sale. Photo #3 shows a gold one.

Studebaker Wheel
03-21-2011, 01:59 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/IMG_0603copy-2.jpg?t=1300733826

Here is the 3rd photo

Mary Anne
03-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Now that's an impressive array of vehicles! Thanks fellows. I'll let you know if I hear from Mr. Marple.

bob40
03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Virgil lives 3 miles from me.Great guy,serious Studebaker afficianodo and Mr.Quinn is correct,nothing is for sale.

Milaca
03-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Holy cow! So many Studebakers and not too far from me! I like his display shelf! How did he get the cars up on there? Forklift?

JDP
03-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Holy cow! So many Studebakers and not too far from me! I like his display shelf! How did he get the cars up on there? Forklift?

How many of know a real "collector" Many have way more cars than they can ever restore, but collect them like my son did comic books. It's a legitimate way of enjoying the hobby, and a lot of cars get saved, and eventually sold as a lot. I have a friend that did that with parts, and he would not sell a part for 30 years until he sold the whole lot to a vendor. This collector is doing it right, he has them stored inside, not rusting in a field.

bob40
03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
No forklift used.It's magic.

Clem64
03-21-2011, 09:46 PM
I have wondered for many years if my father's gold 64' still exists? It has yet to show up on any registers. Seeing that gold Avanti gathering dust in Richard's collection photo at Virgil's place, piques my curiosity of course.

Warren Webb
03-22-2011, 09:17 AM
In the first photo on #37, the Avanti body on the far right looks as though it has a different rear door opening. Perhaps this is a prototype body? Are some of the others leftover bodies that were never finished when Avanti Motors closed up in Ohio? Seems like an above average of 4 door Avanti's in one place for sure! Good thing they are there & not around this area-earthquake country!!

paxton bloR
03-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Hi Bill, call me after March 30th & will more info 701.361.2768
Gary Olson

8E45E
03-22-2011, 01:43 PM
In the first photo on #37, the Avanti body on the far right looks as though it has a different rear door opening. Perhaps this is a prototype body? Are some of the others leftover bodies that were never finished when Avanti Motors closed up in Ohio? Seems like an above average of 4 door Avanti's in one place for sure! Good thing they are there & not around this area-earthquake country!!

Those cars were styling study 'mules' placed on junked Caprice frames. I have seen the collection myself, and posted pics in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?19571-Talk-about-your-Barn-Finds&highlight=youngstown

Craig

Bill Pressler
03-27-2011, 06:52 AM
"Hi Bill, call me after March 30th "

Gary, I'll do that! Thanks!

Also, thanks to Art and Ann for putting that inquiry into the Turning Wheels so quickly! I see it's in the 'Letters' section of April's issue, along with the photo of Mary Anne taking delivery of her Avanti back in '63.

G T Joe
03-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Is there any type of a national data base that would have access to the serial number?,There used to be a service offerd where you gave them your serial number and they could tell you how many cars of a particlar model were left and how many there were in each state, I did this for my Hawk but that was 21 years ago, do insurance have this type of information?

Bill Pressler
05-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi Bill, call me after March 30th & will more info 701.361.2768
Gary Olson

Gary, I'm very late in following up with you on this....is there still any news about Mary Anne's old gold '63 Avanti if I ring you up?

Thanks!

BTW, I was thinking about 'bumping' this thread anyway. Haven't heard anything about Mary Anne's car which makes me fear the worst. Although, stupid me, when I sent the info into the TW and they printed it a couple months ago, looking for leads on the car today, I didn't put my address or email address in! So, for what it's worth, here's my bump and if anybody has any info on the car, please let me know.

Thanks!

Bill Pressler
05-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Gary, I'm very late in following up with you on this....is there still any news about Mary Anne's old gold '63 Avanti if I ring you up?

Thanks!

BTW, I was thinking about 'bumping' this thread anyway. Haven't heard anything about Mary Anne's car which makes me fear the worst. Although, stupid me, when I sent the info into the TW and they printed it a couple months ago, looking for leads on the car today, I didn't put my address or email address in! So, for what it's worth, here's my bump and if anybody has any info on the car, please let me know.

Thanks!

Bump. Probably the last time I'll do this. Thanks for humoring me!

r1lark
01-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Mary Anne's Avanti has been found, via the AACA Forum, here: http://forums.aaca.org/f169/help-find-mary-annes-avanti-299964.html

Here's the response from the present owner:
Hi
I am the current owner of the Avanti that you have been looking for. Serial # 63R 2837.
I have owned the car since 1998, I purchased it from a fellow named Lenny Puma, in California and had it shipped to Ocala, FL, where I live. Unfortunately it is nothing like Mary Anne remembers it. At the time of my purchase, the car was minus the engine and transmission, and some years back been painted white. . The interior was in dire need of re-upholstery, and the frame had some rust issues as well.
I have had the car stored since my purchase until last year, when I started a body off re-build of the entire car, but will not be installing an original Studebaker engine. as I have an LT1 Trans Am engine from a 94 Firebird already to drop in. I have been collecting parts through the years, and will be installing an original Avanti A/C unit in the dash as well as Factory power windows.

I guess the silver lining in this story is that the car STILL does exist !!

If anyone needs to know more about the car, you can reach me through this forum or you can e-mail me directly at DFRL54@aol.com

Bill Pressler
01-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Mary Anne's Avanti has been found, via the AACA Forum, here: http://forums.aaca.org/f169/help-find-mary-annes-avanti-299964.html

Here's the resonse from the present owner:
Hi
I am the current owner of the Avanti that you have been looking for. Serial # 63R 2837.
I have owned the car since 1998, I purchased it from a fellow named Lenny Puma, in California and had it shipped to Ocala, FL, where I live. Unfortunately it is nothing like Mary Anne remembers it. At the time of my purchase, the car was minus the engine and transmission, and some years back been painted white. . The interior was in dire need of re-upholstery, and the frame had some rust issues as well.
I have had the car stored since my purchase until last year, when I started a body off re-build of the entire car, but will not be installing an original Studebaker engine. as I have an LT1 Trans Am engine from a 94 Firebird already to drop in. I have been collecting parts through the years, and will be installing an original Avanti A/C unit in the dash as well as Factory power windows.

I guess the silver lining in this story is that the car STILL does exist !!

If anyone needs to know more about the car, you can reach me through this forum or you can e-mail me directly at DFRL54@aol.com

Thank you Paul, for this information which I have forwarded in an email to Mary Anne.

showbizkid
01-22-2012, 07:36 PM
WOW!!! Way cool! How often does anyone get to track down a fondly-remembered car? I love stuff like this.

Retired
01-22-2012, 09:52 PM
It's been found. Been disenbowled of it's mechanics, repainted white, living in Ocala Florida. I forwarded the lengthy email I received from the current owner to Marry Ann.

JBOYLE
01-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Well done to all who helped find it!
This is a great club with great members.

Mary Anne
01-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Now that it's been found, I need to keep in contact with all you out there who have been so helpful in my quest! Let's work toward finding me a reallly good '63, PS, AC, Automatic. I can probably handle manual windows if I have to! I really felt sad when I first read of its current situation, but now am happy that Dave is going to give it a new life. Maybe I can have visiting privilieges? Huge kudos to a great group of new-found friends! I'll send a private email to Dave later on.

BobPalma
01-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Yes, Mary Anne; this was fun to watch. You'd do better with manual windows anyway, so don't bother trying to find a car with power windows. They are both rare and troublesome and if you found a car with them, their care and feeding would probably be the primary source of irritation with the car, if any.

Chances are the market will make the decision for you. You want a car with an R1 engine so you can have air conditioning. Of the 2,282 1963 R1 Avantis built, only 785 had power windows. Only 874 had air conditioning.

There's no further breakdown to indicate how many R1-powered cars had both power windows and air conditioning, but it's a safe bet you're more likely to find an air-conditioned car without power windows than with them. BP

woodysrods
01-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Well the other good news is that there seems to be a lot of Avanti's are on eBay these days.
Good Luck
And
Good Roads
Brian

drew72mgb
01-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Dave, I think I saw that car on 'the tour' you gave me a year or so ago, didn't I? Boy, an Avanti and an Invicta convertible; that's a pretty delicious combination of cars for the time, don't you think?!

Forgot to mention, Mary Anne tried to buy a Franklin Mint gold 1/24-scale Avanti online someplace last week or so, but they are sold out. She did buy and receive a 1/43-scale gold Avanti. Her selling Stude dealership, Wavra Motors, only sold two new Avantis, and Richard Quinn's friend Richard Pianca owns the second one, but the whereabout of Mary Anne's is still a mystery.

Did Anne ever acquire a 1/24th scale GOLD Avanti? I have one - that I would trade for another color version.

Also, I see Anne is from Kansas - I helped move a group of Studes from KC Metro to Topeka about 5 years ago - one was a GOLD Avanti - Studebaker, possibly 1964. Owner was the daughter of the previous owner - she may still have this car.

Bill Pressler
01-24-2012, 04:30 AM
Did Anne ever acquire a 1/24th scale GOLD Avanti? I have one - that I would trade for another color version.

Also, I see Anne is from Kansas - I helped move a group of Studes from KC Metro to Topeka about 5 years ago - one was a GOLD Avanti - Studebaker, possibly 1964. Owner was the daughter of the previous owner - she may still have this car.

Drew, Mary Anne did get a gold Franklin Mint Avanti. I have one too. I'd have loved a turquoise edition which they started selling later. Do they sell any other colors?

Bill Pressler
01-24-2012, 04:32 AM
Mary Anne, hang in there, there are Avantis out there and look for a good one and I don't think you'll be disappointed!

I think what helped us a lot in the 'search' was that we had the car's serial number, and we are very lucky that the Studebaker National Museum still has production and sales paperwork for the cars...which most other makes do not.

I would like to see a pic of the car now, even if it's mid-restoration.

drew72mgb
01-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Drew, Mary Anne did get a gold Franklin Mint Avanti. I have one too. I'd have loved a turquoise edition which they started selling later. Do they sell any other colors?

Bill-

As far as I know - I do not think so. I used to build models - and built a amt version in Turquoise - with the 3-tone interior. Found out later - that i had painted the engine the wrong color - I did it in red, I believe it should have been in black (?). And I built it about 5 years before I learned about bare-metal foil - for the chrome trim. I really should re-do it.

The group of Studes that I helped move was featured in Turning Wheels - in 2003 (?) - I think. It was Charlie Laningham's stash of cars. I had a 63 Daytona Convert and a 64 Champ in my driveway over night. Doug (my brother) had a 63 Avanti R-3 at his house overnight. We all had some interesting experiences with those cars - driving them from KC to Lawrence for an AACA show, then on to Topeka. I think 8 of the 13 cars made the trip, and most had not been driven more than 20 miles per year, for the previous 5 years... Got to drive a GT Hawk, the Champ, the Avanti, and the Convert.

There was a gold, I think 1964 - R1 Avanti in the stash - with very low miles, that got moved. The Turning Wheels mag has a side view of a 1920's (maybe 1928) Cabriolet on the cover. All of the cars were for sale,, with the exception of the gold Avanti - but it might be worth asking about.

Drew