Need 53 C/K tail light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need 53 C/K tail light

News from the plater is one is beautiful and one is junk. The '53 C/K tail light housing is part #299199. This model only uses the same housings, left and right. All others have different left and right parts numbers.
    I know they show up on ebay from time to time, and I shall be looking.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

I assume you meant to say all other FIFTY-THREEs have left and right fixtures.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I assume you meant to say all other FIFTY-THREEs have left and right fixtures.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Using parts numbers in the catalog. I think it said model 4H. I'll check again tomorrow.[:0]

Yes! C/K models use the same housing left and right, unlike the sedans, which are side specific; but they are year specific with an interesting exception.
        The 1954 Champion C/K before serial number G-1284465 still used the part 299199. All '54 Champion C/K after that number and all '54 Commander C/K used #306078.

That reminds me of a few years ago. We were working on a '52 sedan. Two different headlight covers, three different headlight buckets and three different park light lenses. It's good to know the numbers.
        Brad Johnson,
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Using parts numbers in the catalog. I think it said model 4H. I'll check again tomorrow.[:0]

Yes! C/K models use the same housing left and right, unlike the sedans, which are side specific; but they are year specific with an interesting exception.
          The 1954 Champion C/K before serial number G-1284465 still used the part 299199. All '54 Champion C/K after that number and all '54 Commander C/K used #306078.

That reminds me of a few years ago. We were working on a '52 sedan. Two different headlight covers, three different headlight buckets and three different park light lenses. It's good to know the numbers.
          Brad Johnson,
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Are you sure about your statements? I don't have parts books here to check with (and don't know if they are correct or that specific in this instance), but my memory says that the 1953 style tail lights were only used on the early 1954 Champion Starlights (C), not the 1954 Champion Starliners (K).

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Are you sure about your statements? I don't have parts books here to check with (and don't know if they are correct or that specific in this instance), but my memory says that the 1953 style tail lights were only used on the early 1954 Champion Starlights (C), not the 1954 Champion Starliners (K).

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You're correct, Gary. Any C-body Champions built within the first 10,465 cars of the 1954 Champion lineup would have worn '53 taillights.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

Comment

You're correct, Gary. Any C-body Champions built within the first 10,465 cars of the 1954 Champion lineup would have worn '53 taillights.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

Comment

To reinforce your statements, and for what it's worth, my '54 Champion Starliner was built within the 1st week of '54 production, the 1,036th '54 Champion made in South Bend for that model year, and the taillight housings are definitely '54 style, not '53.

Comment

To reinforce your statements, and for what it's worth, my '54 Champion Starliner was built within the 1st week of '54 production, the 1,036th '54 Champion made in South Bend for that model year, and the taillight housings are definitely '54 style, not '53.

Comment

Working...
                      X