1964 Steering Column ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Steering Column ???

I am in the process of putting a 64 column in my 56 wagon. Does any body know what color wire goes where that comes out of the column? It is different than the 56.
    Funny thing you guys was talking about dark brown Larks types. This column is dark brown.
    Last edited by Carl Purdy; 02-17-2011, 03:42 PM.

Here you go, this is the Bob Johnstone Website Wiring Diagram. All years are available!

StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is that column going to be long enough?
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

if he uses the matching wheel, it'll be about the same reach, just slightly smaller diameter. The 57-up wheels are dished much more than the pre-57.

nate
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks. The steering wheel from the 64 won't fit the 56 shaft. I changed the shaft bearing and slid it on. I know it is shorter I am tall and have long arms. With Chrysler steering box it doesn't how long it is. I just needed the automatic column.
          Last edited by Carl Purdy; 02-17-2011, 05:21 PM.

Comment

So Carl, will that wiring Diagram WORK, or what?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes it will work. I was getting ready to copy so I can start on it in the morning. Thank for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                Thanks. The steering wheel from the 64 won't fit the 56 shaft. I changed the shaft bearing and slid it on. I know it is shorter I am tall and have long arms. With Chrysler steering box it doesn't how long it is. I just needed the automatic column.
                With Chrysler steering box??? Tell us more please!
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

My front end is off a 1985 Chrysler 5th Avenue.

Comment

The difference I encountered were the neutral safety switch & its white wire plugs on the '64 column. That switch is on the inside of the car as opposed to my 1960 column. I would guess yours would be the same. I lengthened those wires, pealed back the wrap and ran them inside to the column's position. IIRC, the wire codes were identical in color from '60 to '64. I hope you have the same ease.

Comment

Working...
                    X