PDA

View Full Version : My South Bend Studebaker Trip

ronhusak
02-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi All..
Some of you may have read that I just went to South Bend and Bought my new (to me) Avanti.. While there I met my new Friend Jim Maxey and he took me to visit the National Studebaker Museum, Studebaker International and to look over the stunning Lark Daytona Convertible that he and his neighbor are building as a "Pace Car".
I have uploaded a bunch of photo's to Kodak Galleries here is the link
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/shareRedirectSwitchBoard.jsp?token=458706510606%3A2058734567&sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-Sharer (http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/shareRedirectSwitchBoard.jsp?token=458706510606%3A2058734567&sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-Sharer)
unfortunately, the pictures went out of order when they uploaded.. But if you are willing to look through them there are a bunch of my new Avanti and all of it's warts and some from SI and the wonderful museum.. Oh Yeah, Of Smiling Jim Maxey as well..
Ron Husak

61Lark
02-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Nice car! I don't know what it is, but I've always liked the white and orange combination on the Avantis.

Nick

2R5
02-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures, looks like you had a good trip !

plwindish
02-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Nice shots Ron, I visited the museum 7 or 8 years ago and it has quite a few more cars today. The car looks good. Is the paint a repaint? It looks really nice if its original. Aside from visors and some detailing in the engine bay, its not really showing much age.

ronhusak
02-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Well. The car is a repaint.. It is not the best.. There is a few areas that have some "Dry" areas and a bit of dirt.. But there appears to be plenty of paint so I will color sand and buff... I think it could be improved a bunch.. The bumpers need rechroming but that is not a big deal.. I am VERY anxious to get it home and start! Mechanically it appears to be great! Jim Maxey rebuilt the engine and some other stuff so I have all the confidence..
The engine bay needs detailed.. I will dig into that as time and weather allows.. Should be an enjoyable job!
2R5.. Better than a good trip.. Well except for the flights.. Jim Maxey made it a real pleasure.. He is such a hell of a nice guy and very competent! Lucky to have met him.. Heck, he even got me into the museum for free... :-)
Ron

Nice shots Ron, I visited the museum 7 or 8 years ago and it has quite a few more cars today. The car looks good. Is the paint a repaint? It looks really nice if its original. Aside from visors and some detailing in the engine bay, its not really showing much age.

2moredoors
02-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the show. Good luck with your new car.

2R5
02-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Ron , I know Jim well , he is a good guy . You couldn't of run into a better guy to show you around.

ronhusak
02-17-2011, 03:14 PM
2R5
He is a maor part of the reason I bought the car! He is going to go over it before I take it's 1100 mile maiden voyage.. He is a prince.. Couldn't do enough for me.. And EVERYBODY at the museum and SI know him..
Ron

Ron , I know Jim well , he is a good guy . You couldn't of run into a better guy to show you around.

raprice
02-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Nice photography! I love your "new" Avanti. Best of luck with it.
Rog

ronhusak
02-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Rog..
Thanks.. I am looking forward to driving her home!
Ron

Nice photography! I love your "new" Avanti. Best of luck with it.
Rog

Milaca
02-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Great looking car, Ron! Looks just like the one in the museum too! Great to see Jim's '62 Daytona coming along, I hope to see it in person at next years national meet.

Bob Andrews
02-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Ron, congrats on finding the car you wanted. Even better, congrats on meeting one of the best people in the Club as well. Good luck with the car!

ronhusak
02-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Milaca..
They were just waiting for the snow to melt outside his garage to get it over to get the top on it.. The interior pieces were due any day.. So it is VERY close.. He fired it up for me.. Sounded real good.. The owner (His Neighbor) drove it the 4 miles it shows on the speedo with no glass and on the box that is in it.. Talk about "Hot Pants".. But I can't say I blame him..
Ron

Great looking car, Ron! Looks just like the one in the museum too! Great to see Jim's '62 Daytona coming along, I hope to see it in person at next years national meet.

ronhusak
02-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Bob..
As I have said.. Jim is a REAL big reason I decieded to buy this car.. And if there are any better in the club I want to meet them..
Ron

Ron, congrats on finding the car you wanted. Even better, congrats on meeting one of the best people in the Club as well. Good luck with the car!

mbstude
02-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm with everyone else Ron, Jim is, to me, a perfect example of why I'm so active and involved in this club. I was in South Bend last May, and Jim let me drive his '54 pickup and took me for a bouncy (to say the least) ride in the '62 Diesel flatbed. He offered to let me drive it as well but I didn't; maybe the offer will still be good this coming May. :cool:

I saw that '62 convertible at that time, and it was a very ugly body shell then. Your pics are the first I've seen of it since then, and WOW does it look good. I restored all of the stainless trim for the owner and can't wait to see the car finished in person.

BTW, your Avanti is my favorite color combination. The white with Orange interior has always been the "flavor" that I've liked the most on those cars.

Bill Pressler
02-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Great-looking car, Ron! Congratulations!

ronhusak
02-18-2011, 10:59 AM
MBSTUDE..
The stainless looks GREAT on the car.. You did a great job on it!
Yeah, it was the brochure color combination.. White with Orange.. At least I shouldn't fall asleep while driving it.. ;-)
Hi pickup was stores away so I didn't see it.. And his 62 Stake was i his son's garage saw it but it was pretty buried.. Did you see his son's R2+ Lark? They started it.. MAN.. That one sounds nasty!
I must say.. Those that I have had contact with in the group are great.. I'm gonna enjoy this crowd.. But Jim is special!
Ron

I'm with everyone else Ron, Jim is, to me, a perfect example of why I'm so active and involved in this club. I was in South Bend last May, and Jim let me drive his '54 pickup and took me for a bouncy (to say the least) ride in the '62 Diesel flatbed. He offered to let me drive it as well but I didn't; maybe the offer will still be good this coming May. :cool:

I saw that '62 convertible at that time, and it was a very ugly body shell then. Your pics are the first I've seen of it since then, and WOW does it look good. I restored all of the stainless trim for the owner and can't wait to see the car finished in person.

BTW, your Avanti is my favorite color combination. The white with Orange interior has always been the "flavor" that I've liked the most on those cars.

Chris_Dresbach
02-18-2011, 03:49 PM

I went down and saw it today for the first time since it got paint. WOW!!!

ronhusak
02-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Chris..
That is gonna be one nice car.. In fact it already is! Jim id rightfully proud of that one..
Ron

I went down and saw it today for the first time since it got paint. WOW!!!

PlainBrownR2
02-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Yeah, ours is an Avanti Gold with Orange Interior. It's a color where if you're not used to it, that has to grow on you first, because when we first got it, we had brief look of disgust when we saw it. But after buying the car, we came to realization that it was the same colors as the diner seats from the same time period. That and the color falls right in with the bright pastels of the era. Once we remembered those two pieces of trivia, we were more than content to own a car with colors that are very seldom seen on the Avanti's :p.

ronhusak
02-18-2011, 05:29 PM
PlainBrownR2..
I have to admit I never saw that combination.. I am the son of a Studebaker Dealer and saw quite a few.. But that is a new one on me.. That would defiantly be "Retro".
The Orange trim was never my favorite anyway.. But this is my second with that color so I must be destined to have that one! I won't fall asleep with that interior anyway..
Ron

Yeah, ours is an Avanti Gold with Orange Interior. It's a color where if you're not used to it, that has to grow on you first, because when we first got it, we had brief look of disgust when we saw it. But after buying the car, we came to realization that it was the same colors as the diner seats from the same time period. That and the color falls right in with the bright pastels of the era. Once we remembered those two pieces of trivia, we were more than content to own a car with colors that are very seldom seen on the Avanti's :p.

PlainBrownR2
02-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Yep, it's indeed factory, but it is also a rare combination. This car was a Massachusetts car originally. So far I've probably see only one other combination like that, and it was an R1 w/automatic(ours is an R2 w/4 speed).

This was a rare shot at a zone meet in Rockford of an R1, R2, and Ed George's R3, all with that Orange Interior :p......

ronhusak
02-18-2011, 06:15 PM
PlainBrownR2..
Neat shot.. Must have been neat to see them together..
Ron

Yep, it's indeed factory, but it is also a rare combination. This car was a Massachusetts car originally. So far I've probably see only one other combination like that, and it was an R1 w/automatic(ours is an R2 w/4 speed).

This was a rare shot at a zone meet in Rockford of an R1, R2, and Ed George's R3, all with that Orange Interior :p......

DieselJim
02-19-2011, 06:41 PM
I would like to thank everybody for the kind words. Jim

DieselJim
03-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Ron arrived in South Bend 3/24/11 at about 7:45. Drove the Avanti over to the air port to pick him up. He sure had a surprised look when he saw it. Made him drive to the resturant as that was the first time he drove it. Got new tires and a temp plate to drive it home. He had to make a side trip to Detroit. Called to say the Avanti ran great, just liked gas. Lots of it. Enjoyed your visit and have a safe trip back to Conifer Co. Jim

ronhusak
03-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Hey all..
Well Jim is right.. I was shocked to see him pull up to the airport in my new (to me) Avanti..
He worked to the very moment I left to be sure all was as right for me as it could be.. The car didn't hiccup on the drive to Detroit from South Bend.. But I am sure I heard it burp! It sure does like that premium.. I got many thumbs up on the way up here.. Even people in appliances like Honda's!
The only running issue I had.. and Jim and I looked at it was a slight surging at constant speeds.. We thought maybe it was a bit of crud in the Carburetor so I put a can of Sea Foam in the first tank of fuel.. But that didn't really seem to help.. Kind of at a loss.. It really performs well otherwise.. Maybe the float level is way off.. That is about all I can think at this point.. It defiantly isn't a miss..
Smiles all the way from South Bend and hope to do so all the way to Denver from here.. Just wish it would warm up a bit.. Man it's cold here..
Ron

Ron arrived in South Bend 3/24/11 at about 7:45. Drove the Avanti over to the air port to pick him up. He sure had a surprised look when he saw it. Made him drive to the resturant as that was the first time he drove it. Got new tires and a temp plate to drive it home. He had to make a side trip to Detroit. Called to say the Avanti ran great, just liked gas. Lots of it. Enjoyed your visit and have a safe trip back to Conifer Co. Jim

2R5
03-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Good luck on your trip ....but your heading in the wrong direction !

ronhusak
03-26-2011, 08:39 AM
2R5..
OMG! You are right! Guess I will have to turn around..:-)
Actually had to come to Detroit to get some clothes and stuff out of my mother in laws house that is for sale.. I was so close that I felt the few additional miles wouldn't hurt too much.. That is untill figured out the fuel mileage..... :-0
Ron

Good luck on your trip ....but your heading in the wrong direction !

Retired
03-26-2011, 11:25 AM
wonder how the avanti script got on the trunk. this was common on the II's, could the trunk lid been replaced, minor finding, ENJOY your new car.
they like to drink that hi octrane, non corn Shell petrol at 4 $ plus a gallon.

snowy_buffalo
03-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Ron, I see by your signature line that you live in Conifer. My sister and brother-in-law live just west of Eveergreen Co, at the 8500 ft elev. She talks about going to/thru Conifer all the time. Hard to imagine that two Kansas City raised people could love 8500ft so well but they've been there since the early 80's.

With your carb/gas situation you'll probably have to rebuild/rejet the carb for that high elevation anyway once you get home. I know my KC based carbed vehicles ran like crap when I visted sis up that high but the newer fuel injected one I have now runs just as good up there as down in KC. Good luck with the "new" Avanti.

ronhusak
03-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Hi Guy's..
Yup that is very high on the agenda.. Rebuilding and rejetting the carburetor. I have even toyed with the idea of installing a TBI to replace the carburetor.. Did so on my GMC Motorhome and it made a new vehicle out of it.. Still may opt for that.. That and A/C are high on my list..
The Avanti script.. I don't know about I noticed it.. And it looks good there so it will stay!
It SUR likes that high test for sure.. I just visited my cousin who is the sales manager at a Chrysler, Dodge Jeep Dealership here in Taylor Michigan.. He has always loved Avanti's.. Pulled up and about emptied the showroom.. Suddenly the Challengers, 300's and such weren't the major attraction! Really was fun.. Then gave them a minor exibition of speed and sound when I left... No wonder I am getting such poor mileage!
Ron

Ron, I see by your signanature line that you live in Conifer. My sister and brother-in-law live just west of Eveergreen Co, at the 8500 ft elev. She talks about going to/thru Conifer all the time. Hard to imagine that two Kansas City raised people could love 8500ft so well but they've been there since the early 80's.

With your carb/gas situation you'll probably have to rebuild/rejet the carb for that high elevation anyway once you get home. I know my KC based carbed vehicles ran like crap when I visted sis up that high but the newer fuel injected one I have now runs just as good up there as down in KC. Good luck with the "new" Avanti.