PDA

View Full Version : Securing the ignition switch

HUB
09-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Has anyone got any tips on how to secure the ignition switch on a 1963 GT Hawk so the darned thing stays put? Every few weeks the cylinder pops away from the bezel and I wind up fumbling around behind the dash, thinking I've got it secure, but before long when I go to switch on it springs away again. I must be missing something simple with this??? Thanks.:)

N8N
09-04-2006, 08:29 PM
get a new bezel, repros are available and made from aluminum, not pot metal.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

HUB
09-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks Nate - I should have mentioned that this is a new bezel and switch that I'm using.

N8N
09-04-2006, 09:51 PM
don't have an answer for you. You're probably going to have to pull the switch and take a good look at it to see what's wrong. Is everything installed correctly? it should be bezel, dash, white plastic thing, spring, switch. I am assuming that you are using one of the new repro switches and bezels that exactly duplicate the originals.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
09-04-2006, 10:20 PM
The little ears on the ign. sw. can get worn after years of being subject to the vibrations of the car. If they're the least bit rounded, that bezel's gonna have a hard time holding on with the constant tension that spring exerts. I see tho that the switch is new as well.
Further, if the inner diameter of that bezel's rather generous (as Nate's suggested), that's just more of an invitation for the switch to back out.
MAYBE that retention spring isn't strong ENOUGH to keep a good grasp between the switch and the bezel! As Nate asked, is that translucent plastic ring in place? That being gone would lessen the tension of the retainer spring.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

rockne10
09-04-2006, 10:32 PM
And a loose ignition switch is an invitation to a short circuit, sparks, smoke and the things that follow.[:0]

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

studeclunker
09-07-2006, 10:21 PM
The shorting problem is why i wrap my ignition switch (the back where the contacts are) with electrical tape before I reassemble and mount it. That way if it wiggles around, it doesn't make that unplesant contact.

And thanks for reminding me about the plastic grommet. I forgot it on my '63. Have to pop it out again and make sure I put it in.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

HUB
09-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys - I think my problem may be the lack of the plastic ring or grommet. Lack of sufficient tension is probably letting the key turn the cylinder. Perhaps I can improvise??? (and add the electrical tape while I'm at it!).