PDA

View Full Version : 63v Avantoi Wire Wheels

ronhusak
02-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi All..

I am the new owner of a 63 R2 Avanti. I have posted about this on this list before.

I am talking to a gentleman about a set of Wire Wheels off of his 84 Avanti that are OEM and 15X7. He cautioneds me and said someone had told him that there were clearance issues on an early avanti with these 15X7 wheels.. Is that true? If so where is the clearance issue?

Thanks in advance for the information..

Ron Husak, Conifer, CO
63 R2 Avanti

bezhawk
02-17-2011, 06:30 AM
That is exactly what I have on my 63 Avanti....no problems what so ever..... use 205 75 R 15 tires.

ronhusak
02-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Nice web site.. Where are you located? Anyway.. Are you using spacers? It has been suggested to me that they are needed to clear components..
Thanks for the reply..
Ron Husak
63R-2648
Conifer, CO

That is exactly what I have on my 63 Avanti....no problems what so ever..... use 205 75 R 15 tires.

PackardV8
02-17-2011, 09:49 AM
.no problems what so ever..... use 205 75 R 15 tires.

Using the small tires is a must. As I mentioned in my earlier post, some want the more contemporary look and use 215 or 225 tires. These are taller and wider, thus more likely to contact the fenders. The 215s on my Dayton 15x6 wires will definitely hit the fenders. Again, they came on the car; not my installation.

Another thing for our new owner, Ron, to remember - after fifty years, no two Avanti are identical. Some have had complete front suspension rebuillds and spring replacements. Others have sagged springs and missing upper A-arm bushings and shot shocks. A car with AC and PS has 100# more on the front wheels than those without.

Bottom line - caution is always advised. Just because it works or does't work on mine or his, your results may vary.

jack vines

jack vines

ronhusak
02-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Jack..
Yeah, I am the son of a Studebaker dealer.. I remember when these cars were new.. UYou could see it then... No two were alike.. I will probably try these if I am able to buy them.. I am sure the springs have sagged some at least.. The bushings and all look pretty good.. But as you say you never know.. The car needs tire on it before I drive it home from South Bend.. I was going to ship the wires there and install the new rubber on them before I left.. But maybe that would not be the best idea.. It doesn't cost that much to change tires over..
Jack, are you using spacers on yours? I have no issues using 205's.. I just worry a little bit that they may be too narrow for the 7 inch wheels..
Just have "hot pants" I guess..
Ron

Using the small tires is a must. As I mentioned in my earlier post, some want the more contemporary look and use 215 or 225 tires. These are taller and wider, thus more likely to contact the fenders. The 215s on my Dayton 15x6 wires will definitely hit the fenders. Again, they came on the car; not my installation.

Another thing for our new owner, Ron, to remember - after fifty years, no two Avanti are identical. Some have had complete front suspension rebuillds and spring replacements. Others have sagged springs and missing upper A-arm bushings and shot shocks. A car with AC and PS has 100# more on the front wheels than those without.

Bottom line - caution is always advised. Just because it works or does't work on mine or his, your results may vary.

jack vines

jack vines

PackardV8
02-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Jack, are you using spacers on yours? I have no issues using 205's.. I just worry a little bit that they may be too narrow for the 7 inch wheels. Mine are not a good baseline. They are the rare Daytons 15x6 with a knock-off adapter which bolts onto the hub. This is a defacto spacer. Most use spacers on wider wheels because the extra width on the inside causes the rim to hit the suspension grease fitting.

Just have "hot pants" I guess..

Yes, real wire wheels look really, really trick. If I ever found a good set of the optional Borrani wheels for an Avanti, I'd be all over them.

No, the steel versions are not really very good at being wheels. I've had a love/hate with them since my first Model A Ford fifty years ago. I've had several sets over the years and found wire wheels are difficult to clean, heavy, tend to rust, tend to go out of round, usually require tubes which are costly and heavy, tend to be harder to balance.

Maybe, approach trying the wires as a reversible decision. Try them, see how you like the look and how many of the above problems you experience. If you decide to try something else, there will always be someone else smitten with wire wheel romance.

jack vines

bezhawk
02-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the kind words on the web site....you can blame my artist wife. I am currently in Columbus Georgia. I never actually measured the rim width but was told they were off an 84 Avanti and since they still used the Studebaker frame, it was good enough for me.
I dont have any spacers at all. They are direct bolt on type not the knock off version. Perhaps that makes a difference.
I just ordered a new set of knock off type for the 63 R1 I'm restoring and I specified 6" and I believe the backspacing is 3 3/4....I will double check.

ronhusak
02-17-2011, 05:52 PM
BEZ..
You have a great site and it looks like you do beautiful work!
That is exactly what I am looking at.. Wires that bolt on and come off of a 84 Avanti.. I'm gonna go for them if I can..
Ron

Thanks for the kind words on the web site....you can blame my artist wife. I am currently in Columbus Georgia. I never actually measured the rim width but was told they were off an 84 Avanti and since they still used the Studebaker frame, it was good enough for me.
I dont have any spacers at all. They are direct bolt on type not the knock off version. Perhaps that makes a difference.