Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raymond Loewy commemorative stamp....and what is on it!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raymond Loewy commemorative stamp....and what is on it!?

As part of the 2011 commemorative postage stamp program just unveiled by the USPS, there is one set in particular that will probably make designers happy. In July 2011, a 12 stamp pane will honor industrial designers that were influential in the 20th century.

And what is on the new Loewy stamp? Not a Studebaker, not a locomotive, not Air Force I and not a Coca Cola dispenser, but a pencil sharpener!? Go figure. Wonder who made that selection?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1297845664

As part of the 2011 commemorative postage stamp program just unveiled by the USPS, there is one set in particular that will probably make designers happy. In July 2011, a 12 stamp pane will honor industrial designers that were influential in the 20th century.

And what is on the new Loewy stamp? Not a Studebaker, not a locomotive, not Air Force I and not a Coca Cola dispenser, but a pencil sharpener!? Go figure. Wonder who made that selection?
    Most likely someone who was pretty sharp, Dick. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

A streamlined pencil sharpener, what else could it be! Maybe they could use the Coquelle Oven for on stamps to overseas.
      Tom
      Last edited by COMMANDERPINK1; 02-16-2011, 04:55 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

It should be worth about 44 cents or what ever the price is at the time it comes out.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

I woulda guessed Something Coke related...hm...

Comment

That pencil sharpener looks like a hood ornament!
            1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Thats absolutely unbelievabe. What a waste of paper. Think how nice a Hawk would have looked on the stamp.

Comment

Of all the things Loewy designed.....

Comment

There is agreement with your observation. The AOAI magazine just received has an interesting article on Raymond Loewy. The pencil sharpener apparently was a prototype and may not have ever made it to production.
                  "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

A pencil pushing bureaucratic bean counting Monday morning meeting consortium most likely.
                    Jeff

<snip>
                    Wonder who made that selection?
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I posted it on Stove Huggers as tomorrow's Ophan of the Day.

Craig

Comment

Well, it is a rather extreme looking pencil sharpener.
                        You won't find one like it at Target.
                        And if I found one in an antique store I bet it would cost more than $44, especially after the stamp comes out.
                        I like it.

Comment

Having never been produced it's selection erases any envolvement with getting approval or paying hommage to a manufacture.

Comment

thats different by dezign ,,, sorry could not resist,, .... yes i know design is spelt whit an s ,,,, so all tongue in cheek
                            rawise

Comment

....but it is such a cool looking pencil sharpener.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X