Super lark mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super lark mufflers

What style mufflers were used as original equipment on the Super Larks? Did they use Avanti mufflers?
    thanks
    PAUL

Originally posted by 00RACER View Post
    What style mufflers were used as original equipment on the Super Larks? Did they use Avanti mufflers?
    thanks
    PAUL
    Nope, bone stock dual exhaust all the way back. (Unless you have R3 headers, than the head pipes are different.)
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Lark V-8 Muffler & CORRECT Tailpipes

That would be the standard wide oval 2in. IN, and 1 3/4in. OUT offset Inlet and Centered Outlet, Stock Steel packed, Aluminized Steel, full length Muffler.

The part that I think is absolutely CRITICAL, is the part you actually SEE!

The tail pipe needs to be CORRECT.
      It curves up and arcs down to throw the exhaust down and out away from the Chrome Bumper, but is tucked up behind the bumper just the way the '63 Dodge Ramchargers were, and looks absolutely awesome when done RIGHT!
      This is a NOS '61 Cruiser Tailpipe, so the clip for the tire casing strap, would be before the curve up, on the short straight angled up part on a '63-'64.

I can't think of ANYTHING worse on a Lark, than seeing straight pipes poked out the back like any old Che*y or cheap Muffler Shop Custom job.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 02-14-2011, 05:05 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich why do we think alike? must be our age.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Sorry, but this is how I like 'em.

Click image for larger version

Name:	R2Lark.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1667226

In fact, I like pretty much everything about this car.

Note, if you want to tear this car apart too, the owner might be watching.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

This is also an option you might consider .

Comment

Lol! No need Bob, the owner already did that!

Check out JDP's current ebay listing Brown '64 Cruiser's tailpipes for the Correct look!
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Boy I hope that's a parts car you perched that tailpipe on ?I might do that to my 350th mile Corolla,but good god not to a Studebaker!
                Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                That would be the standard wide oval 2in. IN, and 1 3/4in. OUT offset Inlet and Centered Outlet, Stock Steel packed, Aluminized Steel, full length Muffler.

The part that I think is absolutely CRITICAL, is the part you actually SEE!

The tail pipe needs to be CORRECT.
                It curves up and arcs down to throw the exhaust down and out away from the Chrome Bumper, but is tucked up behind the bumper just the way the '63 Dodge Ramchargers were, and looks absolutely awesome when done RIGHT!
                This is a NOS '61 Cruiser Tailpipe, so the clip for the tire casing strap, would be before the curve up, on the short straight angled up part on a '63-'64.

I can't think of ANYTHING worse on a Lark, than seeing straight pipes poked out the back like any old Che*y or cheap Muffler Shop Custom job.
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Lol! No need Bob, the owner already did that!

Check out JDP's current ebay listing Brown '64 Cruiser's tailpipes for the Correct look!
                  I did not notice the pipes on the Cruiser until you mentioned it. I guess duals were stock on a Cruiser ?
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                    Boy I hope that's a parts car you perched that tailpipe on?
                    That is no parts car~ that is MY '59 Lark!!!

Dad and I had a 'discussion' shortly after this pic was first posted way back when.
                    Last edited by StudeDave57; 02-14-2011, 07:26 PM. Reason: oooops
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

[B][COLOR="blue"]That would be the standard wide oval 2in. IN, and 1 3/4in. OUT offset Inlet and Centered Outlet, Stock Steel packed, Aluminized Steel, full length Muffler.
                      I thought that the mufflers were steel baffled, not "steel packed". I have used many, but do not remember ever cutting one apart. I thought that they were a standard muffler which included a case with pipes and baffles inside.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        I thought that the mufflers were steel baffled, not "steel packed". I have used many, but do not remember ever cutting one apart. I thought that they were a standard muffler which included a case with pipes and baffles inside.
                        Wow, have not heard of steel packs in like 40 years , but Gary is correct, they are just a standard baffled mufflers on a Studebaker.
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

Steel Packed/Steel "Baffled"

Yes JDP and Gary L. are right, I did get my "nomenclatures" a little mixed up. Technically the Stock Mufflers were not Steel Packed, I meant to say Standard Steel, but never gave "Baffled" a thought.

I do still have a pair of J.C. Whitney straight through, galvanized small round Mufflers that ARE Steel Packed and they are still Surviving since 1969 on our '54 Land Cruiser 232 with a Complete NOS '57 Packard Clipper Dual Exhaust System except the "Custom" Mufflers.

That little 232 really BREATHES through those OVERSIZE Pipes and straight through Mufflers!
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 02-15-2011, 01:48 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                            Wow, have not heard of steel packs in like 40 years , but Gary is correct, they are just a standard baffled mufflers on a Studebaker.
                            I had a Bursch steelpack on my 914, must have installed it in about 1996ish... so they were still available at least that recently.

nate
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Just for fun, check out the last ten seconds of this video to hear a V8 Stude from the rear. Would love to hear it under power!

Recorded on September 19, 2008 using a Flip Video camcorder.
                              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X