Computer cobtrolled Avanti ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer cobtrolled Avanti ?

When General Motors went with CCC ( COMPUTER COMAND CONTROL) in 1980-81 do these these sme years and latter models under Blake 83-85 have the same system as the GM cars of that period?
    Joseph Kastellec

Hi When I had 3330 I found that The Camaro of that period was close especially when reading the fault codes off the check engine light , But when the air injection tubes rusted off the exhaust manifold I took what was left to several GM dealers and no one could match them , I ended up making some , Hope this helps , Ed

Comment

Can't say for sure but I think you should get the numbers off of the engine block to see what GM car it was intended for. There could well be different calibrations depending if the engine Avanti Motors obtained was for a Camaro, Caprice, etc. I would work it from that angle. The emissions sticker (which or may not be under the hood), should provide the exact engine series to work from.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Just a thought or two.

If the engines had to meet the emissions standards for the year of manufacture, then I'd guess the 305 is a current, to the year, SBC. I think you might look at Corvette as the base as Avanti was sold as a "performance" car. Although, by then they were all Dreck for performance. My 83 sure reminded me of an 83 GM smog motor. It ain't now!!!!

Bob

Comment

Avanti Motors supposedly bought engines in batches to get quantity discounts...in that case, their engines could have sat around for months before being installed in a car. Therefore, an engine could conceivably be a prior year unit with that year's emissions controls installed. It may make no difference at all but it could make for different calibrations.

My '70 Avanti originally came with a 350 engine equipped with the separate alternator and external voltage regulator. GM began equipping its own production cars with the integrated alternator with internal regular during the '69 model year, so Avanti Motors was following GM by about a year the way it was fitting equipment into Avanti production. The same could be possible for '80s Avanti's as well.
          Last edited by Gunslinger; 02-17-2011, 09:26 AM.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Does anyone out there have a Avanti of that perod , does it have a ECM that controls the igntion and fuelsystem as the GM cars did during that period
            Joseph Kastellec

Comment

Originally posted by G T Joe View Post
              Does anyone out there have a Avanti of that perod , does it have a ECM that controls the igntion and fuelsystem as the GM cars did during that period
              Joe

My 83 had a ECM mounted under the dash under the glovebox. You have brought up a good way to identify the year of the ECM. The ECM and the computer chip will have the part # on them and that will tell the year that the emissions motor was built to comply with. Mine is currently setting on the shelf in the polebarn. It is a GM unit.

I'd just Google the ECM and Chip #'s to find the year.

Bob

Comment

Working...
              X